This is not a good week. Alan Rickman RIP

Raithe

BBC - Alan Rickman Dies

Actor Alan Rickman, known for films including Harry Potter, Die Hard, Truly Madly Deeply and Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, has died at the age of 69.

The star was suffering from cancer, his family said.

He became one of Britain's best-loved acting stars thanks to roles including Professor Snape in the Harry Potter films and Hans Gruber in Die Hard.

He also won a Bafta for playing the Sheriff of Nottingham in 1991's Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves.

A family statement said: "The actor and director Alan Rickman has died from cancer at the age of 69. He was surrounded by family and friends."

Other film credits included 1995's Sense and Sensibility and Michael Collins the following year, both of which earned him Bafta nominations.

• Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

He will be seizing skyscrapers in the name of DDR in heaven now :(

• Like 2

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

It's like, what the **** man?  All three (Lemmy, Bowie, and now Rickman) died within a month all at 69 from cancer (or had Lemmy already turned 70 by then?). 

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I think the terrorist attacks this week sealed it over this. But I will miss him as an actor

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Well, this blows. Best Die Hard villain, only good part of Robin Hood Prince of Thieves, only person on Earth that could have played Severus Snape, nailed Marvin in Hitchhiker's Guide, etc. he was always someone I loved to see in a movie, and even if the movie was subpar... He never was.

• Like 1

It's like, what the **** man?  All three (Lemmy, Bowie, and now Rickman) died within a month all at 69 from cancer (or had Lemmy already turned 70 by then?). 

Lemmy had turned 70 about 4 days before he died (just as Bowie had turned 69 just two days before he did).

I really liked Alan Rickman; he was one of those actors who you always knew was going to be good in a movie - even if the movie itself maybe wasn't as good as you'd hoped it'd be.

RIP Mr. Rickman.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Oh man, so many greats leaving us over the last couple weeks.  Rest in Peace Alan Rickman, may the greatest movie villain ever hold Nakatomi Tower hostage in heaven forever and may Mr. Cowboy never win.

tumblr_lor0jo3Vbp1qau3o6o1_500_zps6e613a

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

"Happy trails Hans". RIP Mr. Rickman

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

A bad year for the arts.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

This hurts the same as Christopher Lee. RIP Mr. Rickman.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

ALAN RICKMAN (1946-2016)

There is so much that is matchless to remember about Alan Rickman. His career was at the highest level, as actor on stage and screen and as director ditto. His last bequest of his film “A Little Chaos” and his indelible performance as Louis 14th, should now reach the wider audience they deserve.

Beyond a career which the world is indebted to, he was a constant agent for helping others. Whether to institutions like RADA or to individuals and certainly... to me, his advice was always spot-on. He put liberal philanthropy at the heart of his life. He and Rima Horton (50 years together) were always top of my dream-list dinner guests. Alan would by turns be hilarious and indignant and gossipy and generous. All this delivered sotto, in that convoluted voice, as distinctive as Edith Evans, John Gielgud, Paul Scofield, Alec Guinness, Alastair Sim or Bowie, company beyond compare.

When he played Rasputin, I was the Tzar Nicholas. Filming had started before I arrived in St Petersburg. Precisely as I walked into the hotel-room, the phone rang. Alan, to say welcome, hope the flight was tolerable and would I like to join him and Greta Scacchi and others in the restaurant in 30 minutes? Alan, the concerned leading man. On that film, he discovered that the local Russian crew was getting an even worse lunch than the rest of us. So he successfully protested. On my first day before the camera, he didn’t like the patronising, bullying tone of a note which the director gave me. Alan, seeing I was a little crestfallen, delivered a quiet, concise resumé of my career and loudly demanded that the director up his game.

Behind his starry insouciance and careless elegance, behind that mournful face, which was just as beautiful when wracked with mirth, there was a super-active spirit, questing and achieving, a super-hero, unassuming but deadly effective.

I so wish he’d played King Lear and a few other classical challenges but that’s to be greedy. He leaves a multitude of fans and friends, grateful and bereft.

-- Ian McKellen, London, 14 January 2016

• Like 3

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Worst. Year. Ever. And it's only been two weeks.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Club of 69.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

946184_937374683014874_20270229911563380

He kinda looks like he would be more into Lemmy. Aw hell, double bill.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg