What about having a more distinctive combat track for the final battle?

One of the things that bothered me when I finished the game is the lack of a unique or appropiate theme for the battle with the final boss.It's obviously not a big deal, but it was something that stuck with me. I undertand why there wasn't one, but still, it was a very minor letdown.

Another thing that "bothered" me (bothered is a bit too strong, but using hyperbole never hurt anyone... I think) was that the "grandiose" theme that was featured at the beginning of the initial kickstarter pitch or the really, really great variant used in the first gameplay trailer for PoE was never used during the game (luckly they were, both, in the credits).

I thought that, a modified version of that theme would be great as a combat track for the final battle in the game. It's epic, it carries a certain impact (beign the first theme we ever associated to this project), and fits as the theme for the ultimate battle. 

Well, apparently Justin Bell thought similarly. I was listening to the soundtrack from the White March part 1 because the little I listened of it I thought was great (I've only completed 2 areas from the expansion, I decided to wait for the 2nd part), and behold, the "combat boss" theme (I think it's used in the alpine dragon fight, might be wrong):

I started the game immediately, loaded an old save just at the gates of the final confrontation to see if they had implemented it just as I imagined and... The Dragon Thrashed and Wailed theme starts.  :(

I don't usually make threads like this, but I remember that Justin used to engage quite frequently in conversations about the soundtrack in this forum before, so I thought was worth the shot. I was wondering if changing the theme for the final battle in a patch could enter in the realm of possibility or if it's something that has even been considered, as this theme fits (IMO, of course) in this situation like a glove.

I'm not alone in this, am I?  ;(

• Like 2

Here I am thinking this isn't boss music at all! Only to then realize 4 minutes later you forgot to ****ing use a time code in the URL and that the video contains multiple songs.

• Like 1

Windows 10 x64 | Intel i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB OC1 Windforce x3 | Integrated Audio | 8GB DDR3 RAM | ASUS P6T | Corsair AX760 PSU

We could probably make this happen :) Maybe. I'll ask to see if it's safe, last thing I want to do is destabilize the base game. But if it's safe it's an easy swap.

Awesome! Thanks Justin! :) I really appreciate it. It's not something worthy of breaking things already working, but if it ends up being a harmless change, well, I'll be a happy man.

On the White March part 1 files, there is a combat music much longer (about 4:00 if i remember well) that resemble the intro theme listened on the first trailers of the base game (epic style with chorus)

It is super epic and beautiful and would fill perfectly the last battle.

EDIT: it is the Dragon fight theme.

Edited by Mazisky

We could probably make this happen :) Maybe. I'll ask to see if it's safe, last thing I want to do is destabilize the base game. But if it's safe it's an easy swap.

Awesome! Thanks Justin! :) I really appreciate it. It's not something worthy of breaking things already working, but if it ends up being a harmless change, well, I'll be a happy man.

Talked to A Brennecke and he gave the go ahead!  Gonna change this today and check it in for the next patch.  Thanks for bringing this to our attention! 

We could probably make this happen :)  Maybe.  I'll ask to see if it's safe, last thing I want to do is destabilize the base game.  But if it's safe it's an easy swap.

How about background music for Durance and GM conversations? https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/81985-durance-and-gm-conversations-need-their-own-soundtracks/

It's a great point.  We'll definitely take a look at that for future products, might be too much to sort out for PoE though. 

On the White March part 1 files, there is a combat music much longer (about 4:00 if i remember well) that resemble the intro theme listened on the first trailers of the base game (epic style with chorus)

It is super epic and beautiful and would fill perfectly the last battle.

EDIT: it is the Dragon fight theme.

Yep, that's the one!  Also used in Durgan's Battery but starting at another point in the song ;)

• Like 3

Talked to A Brennecke and he gave the go ahead!  Gonna change this today and check it in for the next patch.  Thanks for bringing this to our attention! 

It's happening! :aiee:

Thanks Justin, that's great! This just made my day  :grin:  

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the necro, but with WM2 released I decided to play through the final battle again. (That is, the base game's Act 4 final battle.)

I was surprised to discover that the "combat boss" music was *not* actually used. It was just a standard combat track. :(

Was this true for anyone else? Did they only include this in the POE 3.0 patch (and forget to also put it in the WM2 installer)?

Just wanted to mention it, because I absolutely loved the track. It's perfect for the final battle.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Sorry for the second necro, but I just checked, the final battle still has standard combat music.

I have WM1 + WM2 and version 3.02.1008 PX1 PX2. I've installed all GOG patches for POE base game, and WM1, and WM2. 

Has the track been changed for anyone else?

Thanks!

Edited by glennjones130486
  • Like 1

I very much agree. The 'Watcher Prevails' theme looks like a perfect fit for the final confrontation (and I half-expected it to be there when I first heard it at Alpine Dragon and Concelhaut fights).

Edited by Argeciy

We could probably make this happen :)  Maybe.  I'll ask to see if it's safe, last thing I want to do is destabilize the base game.  But if it's safe it's an easy swap.

There seriously needs to be diverse scores. The regular music you hear is on a constant loop. Makes it hard for gameplay. I think it's integral to have different music for different areas/bosses in general in a game (from a consumer/gamer standpoint). Take it for what it's worth. The music is still very well made. And I'm still enjoying the game. It would be great to upgrade the game in this respect. But I'm giving grain of salt for future games/projects. Music can really add to or break monotony, believe it or not.

The one good thing about that fight having standard battle music is that you don't feel as bad hearing it repeat over and over every time you reload. :p

Yeah, I actually disagree with that. I think most people are not this way. It's really important for game developers to realize that even the best music can get mind numbingly tiring and want to bash your head against the wall. You want your game to feel "repetitive?" Nothing beats that like having the same music play over and over and over again. :banghead:  :p

Sorry for the second necro, but I just checked, the final battle still has standard combat music.

I have WM1 + WM2 and version 3.02.1008 PX1 PX2. I've installed all GOG patches for POE base game, and WM1, and WM2. 

Has the track been changed for anyone else?

Thanks!

Might want to post about this in the Tech Support forum.

Edited by Infinitron