Hi,

I have a lvl 5 group and have been able to upgrade many things as I level up but cannot remember ever having to increase to attributes. Are these fixed for companions throughout the game unless added to by equipment etc.?

many thanks

Technically there are ways for your main character to increase some of their attribute scores permanently, but we're talking +1 increases under specific circumstances. Other than that, it's the items/spells/food or nothing.

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Yes, but the difference in combat effectivity will not be THAT large. If you enjoy the companion's interactions and do not care about power gaming that much, you might as well just leave them in your group. Even in PotD.

(edit: corrected combs effectivity into combat effectivity)

Edited by gogocactus

^

what he said

That said though you can minmax if you want to, to fairly hilarious effect. Check out @Boeroer's Zerblastian Hurtstacker glass cannon build for example. Dumb-as-a-rock rogues, rangers, and fighters work great too, you just give up all the abilities with a duration. Pure support characters or back-row casters can be glacially slow (DEX 3) without losing much, as you rarely benefit much from being able to chain-cast fast, while putting all those points into PER or MIG will do a quite a bit really (assuming INT is already maxed).

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

The "old games" (the Infinity Engine ones, that is) didn't allow any attribute upgrades at all. These were introduced in D&D3 which was the basis for ToEE and the Neverwinter Nights series, which haven't been cited as inspiration for Pillars.

• Like 1

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

The "old games" (the Infinity Engine ones, that is) didn't allow any attribute upgrades at all. These were introduced in D&D3 which was the basis for ToEE and the Neverwinter Nights series, which haven't been cited as inspiration for Pillars.

I am fairly certain you gained attributes in Ice Wind Dale, and I'm pretty sure that IWD was mentioned in the White March description. But, maybe I am wrong. It has been a very long time since I have played those games. 

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

I think that there are two instances when you can increase attribute for PC. However both are a bit darkside. No pain no gain.

I doubt mass attribute points increase would improve gameplay in any way. Since high dungeon design will just adjust to that. Monsters hitting harder, more hp and stuff. So there will be just bigger numbers everywhere.

Talents/Abilities are generally more specialized.

I am fairly certain you gained attributes in Ice Wind Dale, and I'm pretty sure that IWD was mentioned in the White March description. But, maybe I am wrong. It has been a very long time since I have played those games. 

I've played IWD recently and no, you don't gain any attribute points.

IWD2 does give you 1 point every 4 levels (adapted D&D3 ruleset).

The Infinity Engines games had a few tomes that raised a specific attribute by one point and there were a few story points at which attributes got tweaked otherwise they were fixed at character creation.

Yeah, true, there were events or items that could raise/change attributes. (There are two I know of in Pillars as well.)

Well, technically three...

...if you count the god's bonus from Teir Evron.

• Like 2

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I've played IWD recently and no, you don't gain any attribute points.

IWD2 does give you 1 point every 4 levels (adapted D&D3 ruleset).

Ah, then IWD2 must be the game I remember playing. Sorry about the confusion.

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD