The Story was great, thats why im a little dissapointed...

Having just completed a play through of POE im thoroughly impressed but i feel it could of been so much more.

After your eyes are opened to the way things REALLY are the game just sort of ends with out you being able to have much affect on "the way things are", the story and lore were utterly fantastic and as a result i feel it deserved so much more fleshing out, the possibilities for the conclusion could of been much more epic in scale and consequence considering what the player character knew at the end.

For instance we could of taken full advantage of what is revealed and not just killed the end boss and been done with it, what of our ambition? Surely when a secret of that magnitude has been revealed to you and you have the means (it certainly seems as if we could of mustered the power) of going further and challenging the powers that be, perhaps even taking there place or casting them down then we should of been able to at least attempt to do so.

It just feels that as the stakes were raised and the import of everything that has happened seems to get cranked up a notch (paving the way for a story of epic proportions) it concludes in a way that seems to preclude a continuation at least with the same character, the very same character who had the knowledge to act on the secrets he had uncovered.

In summary i think the story was so good that it ended to early for its own good so much was seemingly set up that i was genuinely surprised that the final encounter WAS THE FINAL ENCOUNTER it didn't dawn on me i was even near the end of the main story because there was obviously so much further to go.

Also and this is a nitpick but it felt to me (and this perhaps an untrue and unfair statement) that the main story seemed about as long as the time it took you to get to the underdark in BG2. When i first pick up an rpg i tend to blast through the main story the first time round doing the odd side quest that takes my fancy this was the same with BG2 and the main story just seemed so much longer (not including Throne of Baal of course).

Anyway just felt i had to give my two cents on this ****ing excellent game it provoked a genuine sense of loss and disappointment that the story didn't continue past the point it did.

• Like 1

One thing to consider (which I believe I mentioned in another thread as well) is...

...and I'm going to use spoiler tags here, since this is a no spoiler forum:

Once you defeat Thaos, you can either choose to take his place and become Woedica's favored, or you can ... well, stop Woedica's plan and call it a day. You speak of ambitions, but what exactly do you mean by that?

At the beginning of the game your objective is merely to understand what happened to you; once you find out, it is to avoid going mad because of your Awakening. That latter is achieved by confronting Thaos and coming to terms with your past incarnation that knew and followed him. If you develop the ambition to serve Woedica and become as powerful as Thaos was, you can do that after defeating him.

What you can't reasonably do is go around and spread the truth because you possess exactly zero hard evidence of it. By the time you're out of Sun In Shadows, both Iovara and Thaos are gone—and even if they had not been gone, most people wouldn't have known who they were and would have felt exactly zero compulsion to believe any word they said about the origins of the gods. Not to mention Thaos's likely unwillingness to suddenly work against all he had done in countless previous incarnations.

You could start a Iovara-like group of people who preach the gods are artificial, but you wouldn't likely win over the world. 'sides, as I mentioned in another thread, the gods of Eora may be man-made, but they are still very real and very powerful. Their lack of a divine origin or nature doesn't hinder their ability to act as gods. Most people wouldn't believe you; some would join you; some would lose their will to live and feel deprived of their sense of purpose; some would go on a rampage because no gods = no retribution (but there would still be gods; just man-made.)

So yeah ... not sure what more you would have wanted to do?

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 2

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Well but... What would you want to do with that newly gained knowledge, really? Go among general populace and say "Hear me, people! Gods aren't incorporeal omnipotent beings! They're just potentially incorporeal and kinda omnipotent, but were created by men! That's right! Yeah, they'll still hear your prayers and are able to massively screw you over if you don't appease them, but they're not real, except they kinda are!" I don't think the effect would be as mindblowingly crazy as you might think :-P That was, after all, one of the major points the ending was trying to communicate.

This should probably go into the stories section.

• Like 3

One thing to consider (which I believe I mentioned in another thread as well) is...

...and I'm going to use spoiler tags here, since this is a no spoiler forum:

Once you defeat Thaos, you can either choose to take his place and become Woedica's favored, or you can ... well, stop Woedica's plan and call it a day. You speak of ambitions, but what exactly do you mean by that?

At the beginning of the game your objective is merely to understand what happened to you; once you find out, it is to avoid going mad because of your Awakening. That latter is achieved by confronting Thaos and coming to terms with your past incarnation that knew and followed him. If you develop the ambition to serve Woedica and become as powerful as Thaos was, you can do that after defeating him.

What you can't reasonably do is go around and spread the truth because you possess exactly zero hard evidence of it. By the time you're out of Sun In Shadows, both Iovara and Thaos are gone—and even if they had not been gone, most people wouldn't have known who they were and would have felt exactly zero compulsion to believe any word they said about the origins of the gods. Not to mention Thaos's likely unwillingness to suddenly work against all he had done in countless previous incarnations.

You could start a Iovara-like group of people who preach the gods are artificial, but you wouldn't likely win over the world. 'sides, as I mentioned in another thread, the gods of Eora may be man-made, but they are still very real and very powerful. Their lack of a divine origin or nature doesn't hinder their ability to act as gods. Most people wouldn't believe you; some would join you; some would lose their will to live and feel deprived of their sense of purpose; some would go on a rampage because no gods = no retribution (but there would still be gods; just man-made.)

So yeah ... not sure what more you would have wanted to do?

If he have an Honest(4) reputation he might pull that off : p

ps: meant to quote fenixp's post but this works also.

Edited by Quillon
  • Like 4

If he have an Honest(4) reputation he might pull that off : p

I know you're joking, but that's exactly the thing: Even if PC could, beyond shadow of a doubt, persuade everybody of being correct, gods would still remain massively powerful beings you probably don't want to mess with

And in the future remember 'could have' is 'could've' not 'could of'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8Y-JjWE3Rw&ab_channel=PheistEwon Edited by Fenixp

What i wanted to do with the knowledge that the Engwithans made the gods was make my self a god and destroy the rest of them, really i could not give a toss about enlightening the people nor would i want to expose this fact if i intended on using the knowledge to gain "divinity" my self.

Its said that the Engwithans made the gods, and since we are watchers with the ability to read and understand Engwithan and therefore use there machines surely it would be within the scope that instead of sending the souls to woedica or returning them to the cycle (or the other options) i could attempt to infuse my own character with the souls to gain the power woedica desired like you could do in heritage hill, giving me the potential to oppose the gods.

I have to admit though it would probably fry the PCs brain. Hell even if the option was there and it goes pear shaped i would of considered it concluded, at least i could of made the grab for power but being a mere mortal just getting killed instead would of made sense. Thats what i mean about ambition there was no real personal glory option, there was only collusion or the other options, no completely selfish self serving option, the offer woedicas minion gives you is vague at best.

Once again i still thought the story was great but there was such a glaring avenue to godhood to be explored i was surprised it ended there i didn't want to be woedicas lacky id prefer to take her place and if indeed the gods were a creation of man the very same men whose language i now possess then why could i not attempt to unlock the secrets to godhood?

I suppose i took the fact that men made the gods as an implication that "godhood" was attainable and therefore something that would be an option to those in the know especially considering that the gods seem to need to act through mortal proxies anyway (Thaos working for woedica for instance) so the resulting resistance would be surmountable especially if you successfully sucked all the souls into your self and became much more powerful. Also why would i want to be the favored of a "god" that needs mortal help to even get by, seems like a bad deal to me and a moment when i could capitalize on a gods weakness.

Those are the specifics of the ambition i was talking about. In short since men made the gods and i can operate the machines that use souls to give power (like the one in heritage hill) i feel there should of been a whole story arc devoted to the ambition of becoming a good your self. I will admit that perhaps thats not what the machines are for but is implied that souls are a source of power, (once again heritage hill) a source of power there for the taking by any who would dare to do so. Unless it only works for gods but thats not stated and besides once again in heritage hill if  the souls of one district can make you more powerful imagine what tens of thousands of souls could do, they could make you into a god (or blow your brains out)!

Thing is, absorbing souls itself would make PC a very powerful being, but not necessarily one to rival gods. Adra Dragon was sitting in its place, sucking souls for presumably centuries, if not millenia and while exceptionally powerful, it did not rival gods. Additionally, Engwithan gods are not just pieces of stone infused with souls that gives them power - I always interpreted them more as complex machines, computers if you will, powered by energy of the souls, and in turn being able to use these souls. The best case scenario is that PC would become a version of Thaos, worse is insanity and potentially eventually turning into something like a necromancer.