The question mark is the key. They are asking the question. They aren't saying this kid will grow up and become a rapist. The complete opposite of it in fact. They are the ones asking the question to all those demonstrating at the moment against helping refugees and closing borders etc, trying to justify it by painting all refugees with the same paintbrush as the disgusting minority who committed disgraceful acts in Cologne. They are asking the question, "so they are all the same are they? Well what about Aylan? Would he have been the same?" The poor boy whos heartbreaking image was splashed across the entire western media to personalise and underline the plight of the innocents in that region of the world, drawing almost universal sympathy across the western world.

Maybe its just trying to make people think about the consequences of their actions. If all we ever see is opinions we agree with we never are encouraged to consider the opposing viewpoint. If people want to post dead toddlers all over the media to push the immigration campaign, why can't those who are against it do the same. I thought it was a cheap shot when it originally came out and was not shocking or provocative because there's death all over the world. I only viewed it as the media pests trying to use pictures of dead toddlers to score some ratings and sell papers.

In the full context, it raises more questions than anything, about many things. People will choose to be outraged or applaud it, but they would be missing the point. It doesn't count if it doesn't push your agenda, eh.

Oh, I thought this thread was about how the EU pushing neoliberalism is destroying the standard of living in Europe.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

The question mark is the key. They are asking the question. They aren't saying this kid will grow up and become a rapist. The complete opposite of it in fact. They are the ones asking the question to all those demonstrating at the moment against helping refugees and closing borders etc, trying to justify it by painting all refugees with the same paintbrush as the disgusting minority who committed disgraceful acts in Cologne. They are asking the question, "so they are all the same are they? Well what about Aylan? Would he have been the same?" The poor boy whos heartbreaking image was splashed across the entire western media to personalise and underline the plight of the innocents in that region of the world, drawing almost universal sympathy across the western world.

Maybe its just trying to make people think about the consequences of their actions. If all we ever see is opinions we agree with we never are encouraged to consider the opposing viewpoint. If people want to post dead toddlers all over the media to push the immigration campaign, why can't those who are against it do the same. I thought it was a cheap shot when it originally came out and was not shocking or provocative because there's death all over the world. I only viewed it as the media pests trying to use pictures of dead toddlers to score some ratings and sell papers.

In the full context, it raises more questions than anything, about many things. People will choose to be outraged or applaud it, but they would be missing the point. It doesn't count if it doesn't push your agenda, eh.

So hold on, why the outrage then? Is it just people jumping to conclusions as usual? 

302429D700000578-0-image-m-13_1452720035

That sounds like an enormous stretch to me. Then again I'm not one to infer.

Edited by Barothmuk

Most people are stupid, they can't be bothered beyond the most simple links, hence you have an outrage about racism, when in fact the author is asking a valid question, do you really think they are all the same and will be the same?

The obvious answer is no, but now we should follow up with the question, how to make sure that they won't be the same.

That sounds like an enormous stretch to me. Then again I'm not one to infer.

So there's no questions at all for you. There's a point being made, however thinly. I wouldn't support it as being in good taste. However, Tacky or in bad taste? Considering the picture of the dead kid was already plastered all over the world to drive a political and humanitarian agenda. The taste had already been fouled.

Oh and you didn't answer my question with the link I posted whether using the dead boy was tacky. I'll post the link again.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/aylan-kurdis-death-recreated-30-6415214

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Charlie Hebdo is "The Sun" level trash in visual form. Actually they're worse. The Sun is a slimy tabloid, but it doesn't pretend to be anything else - Hebdo isn't even that, its just despicable. Neither humorous or intelligent - all superficial shock value by insulting everything and everyone in the basest most possible manner by abusing the idea of freedom of speech.

2vdiuz7.jpg

Yeah, that's what humorous cartoons amount to in Hebdo. All things considered the terrorists that shot them up were probably better people than they were.

Everybody parroting "Je suis Charlie" was possibly one of the lamest thing to happen in the west. One doesn't fight terrorism by standing behind the most embarrassing and toxic product of one's culture - if that's the best "freedom of speech" can offer, it might as well not exist.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor
  • Like 1

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Hebdo's cartoon are aren't good outside of France as people don't know and have hard time get to know context behind them

In above cartoon they take shots against cardinal and archbishop of Paris  André Vingt-Trois (Mrg [French honorific] Vingt-Trois referring to him), who had just publicly declared that marriage between people of same sex is hoax, by introducing his three dads (trois papas), The Father, The Son and the Holy Spirit.

It is not world most intelligent or original quip, but in context of recent things before publication of said comic it is understandable (meaning that people that know the context understand what cartoon tries joke about). 

• Like 1

"All things considered the terrorists that shot them up were probably better people than they were."

Kiddin' right? That is insane. People who go around commiting mass murder are better than those who make stupid pictures you don't like? COME ON.

"One doesn't fight terrorism by standing behind the most embarrassing and toxic product of one's culture - if that's the best "freedom of speech" can offer, it might as well not exist."

But you stop it by being pro terrorist? LMAO

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Yeah, that's what humorous cartoons amount to in Hebdo. All things considered the terrorists that shot them up were probably better people than they were.

Everybody parroting "Je suis Charlie" was possibly one of the lamest thing to happen in the west. One doesn't fight terrorism by standing behind the most embarrassing and toxic product of one's culture - if that's the best "freedom of speech" can offer, it might as well not exist.

We disagree on stuff pretty regularly, but I don't think I've ever been this completely opposed to your post.  What the heck?

Think it was a bit of hyperbole there.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

We disagree on stuff pretty regularly, but I don't think I've ever been this completely opposed to your post.  What the heck?

Weird comment exalting mass murderers as the moral betters of people who make ****ty cartoons for a living aside, I find it hard to argue against the rest of his post.

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

"All things considered the terrorists that shot them up were probably better people than they were."

Kiddin' right? That is insane. People who go around commiting mass murder are better than those who make stupid pictures you don't like? COME ON.

"One doesn't fight terrorism by standing behind the most embarrassing and toxic product of one's culture - if that's the best "freedom of speech" can offer, it might as well not exist."

But you stop it by being pro terrorist? LMAO

All things considered the terrorists that shot them up were probably better people than they were.

That comment is so stupid I had to quote it.

Think it was a bit of hyperbole there.

Malcador was the only one that got it.

I do consider Hebdo bottom feeder dip****s obviously but I thought my pov on Islamic terrorism (or any terrorism really) was known well enough on this forum to get the point across with some obvious hyperbole?

And the point was, Volourn, that its sad that Europe cannot raise up its issues with Islam (or countries like Saudi Arabia, where its all coming from) directly, be critical and take a firm stance on its values. Instead its up to fringe elements such as Danish cartoonists and trashy French papers to go all passive-aggressive: take cheap pot shots and provocations, stir the hornet's nest and when the inevitable reaction comes > become "martyrs" for freedom of speech. If insulting their prophet is the best that Europe can do in that cultural dialogue then we're in a sorry state indeed.

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35311422

the capital Yurop deserves

So the current system only produces self-segregation, criminality, drugs or religious extremism. Why bother continuing if it doesn't work? 

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

As for Charlie Hebdo, here's how they contribute to making the world a worse place:

00---mediat1.jpg

On the left is their cover during the Kosovo war. The two ugly creatures are supposed to be Serbian soldiers. It says "Spring in Pristina (largest city in Kosovo)" and the balloon says "It lacks women!", on account of the corpses of the women in the background (that they murdered and presumably raped too judging by the pose of the left corpse). The cartoon implies that the Serbian army engaged in mass slaughter (and rape) in Pristina - a thing not alleged even in the kangaroo court of the ICTY (International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugolslavia) that is certainly not pro-Serbian in any shape or form. So, an entire fabrication for the purposes of demonizing an entire nation - the sort of thing Nazis did with Jew cartoons and that Goebbels would have been hanged for at the Nuremberg trials if he didn't commit suicide.

On the right is a retributive internet creation by someone from Serbia. It says "Winter in Paris" and the balloon: "It lacks cartoonists!".

Is this helping anything? Freedom of speech or tasteless inflammatory ****?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Drowsy Emperor