So I am thinking of starting yet another new game when (or a bit before) White March part 2 comes out, and one class I've played very little of is Ranger. I've never had a Watcher ranger, and I rarely use Sagani. I know they weren't great at launch, but how are they now? Are there any specific cool/fun builds people use? I would plan on just using the soulbound bow, as I really like the sound of the Returning Storm proc, but if there is a better option I'm open to it.

This would likely just be a full-party hard run, but any POTD builds would obviously work well for me too so feel free to tell me about those too!

Um... as far as I know, they're still not a popular class.

You'd think the class would work by having the animal as a tank, and the ranger as a DPS. Only the animals aren't so tough and if they die, many of the rangers most important abilities become useless... So, all in all, why not just play a rogue for uber DPS?

Still, I'm sure you could make a decent archer if you played carefully.

Edited by Heijoushin

Rangers can do a ton of damage in either melee or ranged, but remember that your pet is a dps addition NOT a tank. I would always focus on talents that increase pet dps but there should be some balance. I think its a pretty well balanced class, but it does take some micro-management imo. You need to make sure you know where your pet is and what its up to always, and you also want to keep an eye on status effects on the pets target. You should have a DoT and some sort of status effect going in order to maximize dps.

I never see this mentioned and I'm not sure why:

Sagani + Itumaak + Predator's Sense + Persistence = OP

I'm sure any Ranger with that weapon/ability combo will be similarly OP.

Edited by Achilles
  • Like 3

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Ranger is a lot more viable than it was nine months ago. Pets have been enhanced, abilities have been improved and WM1 added an awesome bow for late game destruction. I ran a 3 Ranger, 2 Druid and a Barb party. It was unstoppable.

• Like 1

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.

Rangers are good. It is quite fun class, they have powerup special attacks, penetrating arrows for some aoe potencial, stun on hit as CC, and pet still takes one spot at the front line. That is good mix.

Probably the main problem with Rangers is that there is no stats for "pet dmg done" so there is no clear number how good pet is.

Pets aslo move faster, so they are fast to fronline, but in the same time are to fragille to be first to engage, so there are some tricks like putting it in backline, or longer stealth for them, or temporary switching off pet AI.

If not stormcaller Ranger can use firearms just as well.

If you ally Dozen then Cloudpiercer is good, but not better than Stormcaller.

Sample build:

Race: Wood Elf Deadfire Archipelago

Stats: Dex 20 Perception 19 Might 18 Int 10  Con 8 Res 3

Pet: Wolf (dps pet) Anitope/Bear (defensive pet)

Abilities

1. Wounding Shot

3. Marked Prey

5. Stalker Link

7. Driving Flight

9. Predator Sense

11. Stunning Shots

13. Twinned Arrows

Talents:

2. Resilent Companion

4. Penetrating Shots

6. Visious Companion

8. Merciless Companion

10. Weapon Focus Any

12. Marksman

14. Faitfull Companion

Notes:

- Twinned Arrows come a bit late, so before can use Visious Aim as modal and retrain at 13.

- Soulbound weapon works with any focus so might as well use Noble for Scepter or Soldier for Rifles.

Edited by evilcat

Rangers are fabulous. The disposable meat shield is rad because it carries no strategic cost -- with a couple of them onboard you can get through most trash fights (and some of the tougher ones too) without losing a single point of health. And their ranged abilities really do wonders to the damage output.

I like to build my rangers as gunners: give them slow-firing, hard-hitting weapons, the Swift Aim ability and Swift but Steady talent (and Gunner for good measure if you want it), and watch them go boom-boom-boom. The arbalest, arquebus, and blunderbuss are all good. Arbalest is probably the best actually -- best range, crits can Knockdown, and there are some seriously magical ones in the game.

There are also great options for melee rangers. Pikes or staffs work great for them as they have the extra reach to stab at things from behind the meat shield. OTOH they're a pretty robust class (health multiplier 5) so you can use pretty much any weapon combo you like. Two melee rangers + animals make one hell of a front line, and leaves you four slots for back-row damage dealers.

See here for a ranger-based party (PC, Sagani, one hired ranger). It's the most effective and flexible party I've played so far, hands down.

I tried once with six rangers and it absolutely burned through most fights, but then ran into serious difficulties when facing multiple hard-to-down critters with AoE attacks, ogre druids or drakes for example. So you probably don't want that. Five rangers + crowd controller would certainly be workable if you built two of the rangers into frontliners. Four + crowd controller + support would be more robust and flexible, at the cost of a little less effectiveness mowing down trash mobs. I'm currently going with three and have the feeling that it's pretty much the sweet spot though.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

I never see this mentioned and I'm not sure why:

Sagani + Itumaak + Predator's Sense + Persistence = OP

I'm sure any Ranger with that weapon/ability combo will be similarly OP.

I said that a lot of times.

Even better: Tidefall + Shod-in-Faith + Wolf + Predator's Sense and stuff:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/83435-class-build-riptide-the-pit-fright-dps-offtank-melee-ranger-double-team-supreme/

I had the Persistence-variant and a Stormcaller ranger and they both were on par in terms of DPS.

But the best thing was a rogue with Deep Wounds and Persistence and a ranger with Stormcaller. :)

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/83378-class-build-the-mad-hornet-dps-ranged-rogue/

Ranger plus DPS pet absolutely outdamages any rogue by the way - if well played.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Yeah, don't have the actual numbers for pet damage, but it's substantial. I play with Rangers a lot and everytime I keep an eye on the combat log. The pet consistently does more damage than either Eder or pellagina who are built for damage. Wouldn't surprise me if the Ranger and pet keep up with a dual wield rogue. As people have said, there are plenty of options other than stormcaller. (Which is awesome) I'd second (or third) persistence though. Whatever you do, just make sure to take all the pet damage talents including knockdown.

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

Thanks for the input folks, I'm glad to see that the type of character I had in mind looks to be strong and fun. I'm going to have to try that Persistence and Predator's sense combo, especially since you can get it pretty early.

I think my Party will be Zahua and Kana in melee (with my wolf), than my ranger, Durance, Mother (maybe toss her the Stormcaller instead of a gun, if I fall in love with persistence), and I guess Aloth pew pewing stuff. I don't totally love aloth but I can't imagine playing without wizard spells in the party. Or maybe I'll drop Kana for Hiravias or Pallegina.

Edited by Anoregon

Currently I am running with Sagani as 3rd DPS character in the group.  The other being a Pre made Monk and Eder using Estocs.  Hes a secondary tank when necessary.  And sagani with Borresain and my +10 Accuracy Liberating Exhortaions is a Crit Machine.  Stun locking everything in site.  Once she gets stunning shots and Storm caller its going to be great.  Her and the monk are really on par.

I do have a question though.  She is a bit on the slow side because she uses Vicous Aim, Pen Shot and a Warbow.  I know Stormcaller will alleviate this as any weapon spec counts for it (gave her adventurer for Warbows).  Is it better early game DPS to give her a hunting bow with vicious aim?  I know the Warbow in the bounty can also half the penalty that both Vicious Aim and Pen shot give.

Have gun will travel.

Thanks for the input folks, I'm glad to see that the type of character I had in mind looks to be strong and fun. I'm going to have to try that Persistence and Predator's sense combo, especially since you can get it pretty early.

I think my Party will be Zahua and Kana in melee (with my wolf), than my ranger, Durance, Mother (maybe toss her the Stormcaller instead of a gun, if I fall in love with persistence), and I guess Aloth pew pewing stuff. I don't totally love aloth but I can't imagine playing without wizard spells in the party. Or maybe I'll drop Kana for Hiravias or Pallegina.

I would caution you that there is probably not enough front line combatants in this setup. Kana will not hold agro until possibly very late in the game. I would seriously consider swapping him out to a tank that can do some dps to keep mobs attention.

I would caution you that there is probably not enough front line combatants in this setup. Kana will not hold agro until possibly very late in the game. I would seriously consider swapping him out to a tank that can do some dps to keep mobs attention.

Yeah, I may actually swap him for Pallegina. I'm tired of always feeling like I need Eder in my party.

Currently I am running with Sagani as 3rd DPS character in the group.  The other being a Pre made Monk and Eder using Estocs.  Hes a secondary tank when necessary.  And sagani with Borresain and my +10 Accuracy Liberating Exhortaions is a Crit Machine.  Stun locking everything in site.  Once she gets stunning shots and Storm caller its going to be great.  Her and the monk are really on par.

I do have a question though.  She is a bit on the slow side because she uses Vicous Aim, Pen Shot and a Warbow.  I know Stormcaller will alleviate this as any weapon spec counts for it (gave her adventurer for Warbows).  Is it better early game DPS to give her a hunting bow with vicious aim?  I know the Warbow in the bounty can also half the penalty that both Vicious Aim and Pen shot give.

I'd be tempted to go with persistence, but it requires more pet micro management than Borrasaine, and you lose the critts. I'd also turn off penetrating shots with a warbow. I find using penetrating shots and swift aim works, or just vicious aim by itself. The loss of speed using both kinda defeats the purpose of using a warbow. Note I haven't actually done the maths, it's just my impression.

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."

Lord of Light

Currently I am running with Sagani as 3rd DPS character in the group. The other being a Pre made Monk and Eder using Estocs. Hes a secondary tank when necessary. And sagani with Borresain and my +10 Accuracy Liberating Exhortaions is a Crit Machine. Stun locking everything in site. Once she gets stunning shots and Storm caller its going to be great. Her and the monk are really on par.

I do have a question though. She is a bit on the slow side because she uses Vicous Aim, Pen Shot and a Warbow. I know Stormcaller will alleviate this as any weapon spec counts for it (gave her adventurer for Warbows). Is it better early game DPS to give her a hunting bow with vicious aim? I know the Warbow in the bounty can also half the penalty that both Vicious Aim and Pen shot give.

I'd be tempted to go with persistence, but it requires more pet micro management than Borrasaine, and you lose the critts. I'd also turn off penetrating shots with a warbow. I find using penetrating shots and swift aim works, or just vicious aim by itself. The loss of speed using both kinda defeats the purpose of using a warbow. Note I haven't actually done the maths, it's just my impression.

Depends on the role. Is your party function to deal damage or annihilate/interrupt casters? That should help you decide...

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.

Saganis role is damage.  So far its working well.  I am just wondering if a hunting bow + Pen shot is better. since vicious aim and pen shot is slowish.

Edited by Torm51

Have gun will travel.

rR

maybe ill just turn it on against high DR targets.  Cause no Pen shot against dragons with high Pierce DR is crapola.  Ive seen it.  I rather have Pen shot for those fights even if you are slower.  Obviously I have a Wizard so I can debuff DR but still a lot of dragons have 27+ DR against Pierce. 

Edited by Torm51

Have gun will travel.

Ranger with Paladin is a nice combo, since we can use Lay of Hand on pet, or even revival. And coordinated attacks also adds. Could be better than Chanter before level 9.

For warbow vs huntbow it may depend how well enchanted weapon you have. Persistance is good, Borreseine is not that dps oriented. Cloudpircer could be better but is hard to get (also Doemenels buff could be worth more than dozens).

Huntbow is better against targets with DR<5. However such targets are not a problem anyway, as game progress there will be more hig DR targets so speed will matter less if you just scratch the surface.

There is also this table (not mine):

i73spwi.jpg

Edited by evilcat
  • Like 1

No. Just walk into the expedition hall and kill the guy who runs that place - he stands in the center of the hall. Forgot the name. Wenan?

Maybe you should first solve Osric's quest before you do that. You can get the Family Breastplate from Osric, too (talking to him or killing him after you return from Dunryd Row/Penhelm)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 3

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Holdwall is also a great option, at least until you get twin shots. Though that is late in the game.

Does decent damage, prone on critt, speed bonus, though I would use vicious aim, not penetrating shot with it.

There is nothing wrong with using 2 weapons though. The only ones I normally struggle with using a bow are dragons and animats. Easy enough to have a bow and switch to an arquebus for those fights.

• Like 1

Lord of Light