Long time lurker, first time poster

I recently got into pillars of exile (trudging through act 2 now) and it is a fantastic game. I especially like how obsidian has managed to make each stat valuable in some way or another to all characters.

While browsing some forums the other day about pillars, I saw someone make an odd claim: they claimed that they had managed to make a min/maxed rogue with 3 might that was doing more damage and also had more hp then Eder. Is this really possible?

The person didn't share the exact details of the build, but I know they were playing on PotD and had maxed dex and had an 18 in con and 3 int.

This seemed like a unique way to build a rogue, so I'm curious what those of you who have thousands of hours in the game could tell me about how this would work.

Well... While I don't see it working amazingly, if you stacked enough attack speed and lowered the Recovery time you could reach a speed hard cap even without dual wielding, and with a lot of accuracy and DR penetration you could do some damage by criting almost all the time very fast.

Not sure if you could do more damage than a properly built Éder, and it can only really work well with the expansion and higher levels.

Sounds like fun to try anyway, but only if you start with a more balanced spread and respec later. But I don't play with rogues, so I am not sure if I am not only speaking foolishness.

Edited by DreamWayfarer

... I suppose you could make this work... but why ever would you want to? So you can have a little more constitution and make a tanky rogue? If you want that kind of character, a fighter with apprentice sneak attack would be better surely.

Just seems illogical. You can make a tougher rogue without completely sacrificing might. Say by dropping int instead?

Edited by Heijoushin

I think the relevant question to ask here is, which Edér?

I've no doubt that a 3 Might rogue with the right talents can do more damage than Edér built as a pure tank. But then that's not a very high bar to clear as Edér built as a pure tank will barely do any damage at all.

I've no doubt at all that 3 Might rogue would be perfectly viable if you figure out how to play it to its strengths. 

I'm also highly skeptical that the 3 Might rogue would compare very well with other rogues with similar talents but a biiiiit more points put into Might.

Which kind of puts this in the "bragging rights" category for me. Perhaps Boeroer can turn this too into a combat god?

• Like 1

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

A 3 MIG rogue suffers from -21% damage. That's nothing for a rogue. At the same time he gets +50% from Sneak Attack and +100% from Deathblows. With Savage Attack and +5 PER you wouldn't even notice the difference to a 10 MIG rogue. So of course it works.

And it's not true that a tankier rogue is inferior to a DPS fighter. You always have to remind yourself that a rogue that kisses the ground does zero damage.

A rogue with small shield, high RES and CON, Weapon & Shield Style will not go down easily

I once did a tanky rogue with focus on crits with low might and Badgradr's Barricade and he was great.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Eder sucks.

Seriously, even a hired fighter is not a damage monster by any means.

When I played my 3 chicks party I had a fighter and picked all the damage talents, while being as defensive as possible and was gravely disappointed.

A rogue outshines that easily and if you take Eder into the mix who doesn't even ahve good stats...

Player character also get a best gear, can pick better race than Human (Hearth Orlan, Boreal Dwarf), and get some story feats (Doemenels crits!, gift from machine).

True that, but still no competition to rogue and I guess the 3 Might rogue was a player char to begin with.^^

It depends. If you abuse the fighter's self heals a bit and combine that with a very offensive build I think you have the perfect combination of sturdyness and dps. 

I just did the fight at Magran's Fork with these bandits that stole the crate from the smith. Man, this Outlaw with Recovery and Unbroken really p!sses me off! He is sooo hard to kill if you're of low level. Same with the one bounty in the white march (can't remember the name) east of Durgan's Battery if I recall correctly. This fighter dudess (I think she drops the Forgotten Tear of the Beloved) just refuses to die.

My last fighter was very sturdy and did good damage even though he only had a club and a large shield.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

It depends. If you abuse the fighter's self heals a bit and combine that with a very offensive build I think you have the perfect combination of sturdyness and dps. 

I just did the fight at Magran's Fork with these bandits that stole the crate from the smith. Man, this Outlaw with Recovery and Unbroken really p!sses me off! He is sooo hard to kill if you're of low level. Same with the one bounty in the white march (can't remember the name) east of Durgan's Battery if I recall correctly. This fighter dudess (I think she drops the Forgotten Tear of the Beloved) just refuses to die.

My last fighter was very sturdy and did good damage even though he only had a club and a large shield.

Those kind of fighters are hard to kill, but they just don't do much damage.

I did the regrets worth trading quest in Stalwart village with my pala yesterday (uploading right now) and in the fight in the temple theres among other enemies 2 Ondra shieldbearers with unbroken. One of them also has 89 deflection. First I died, trying to kill those first I took massive damage, then I killed all the squishies first and left the 2 fighters for last, guess what, they do NO damage to my level 8 pala even tho they are 2 and I'm weakened from killing at least 6 others guys before them, constantly disengaging (taking no damage whatsoever).

If I fight humans, apart from wizards rogues do most damage to me, just deep wounds itself i so op, not even factoring in sneak attacks.

Edited by Raven Darkholme

• 3 weeks later...

Trying 2 MIG rogue, Orlan, solo and so far so good. Just hit DB level 4-5. 2 8 19 20 10 19 and Fine Estoc from Kana. Not sure what I am gonna do about low Fortitude but I guess either avoid fights where its needed or fiddle it somehow. 

Solo it might be a problem, because Thaos. :)

Trying 2 MIG rogue, Orlan, solo and so far so good. Just hit DB level 4-5. 2 8 19 20 10 19 and Fine Estoc from Kana. Not sure what I am gonna do about low Fortitude but I guess either avoid fights where its needed or fiddle it somehow. 

Why do you reckon? Seriously, as my only experience with rogue was the pacifist run long ago. Then I used the known approach of splitting, waiting and setting trap. Is there Fortitude check? But indeed, rogue with "invisibility" can breeze through the game as there is no grinding but questing here. With Wiz, as much as I like them, after certain level I just walk in and kill everything. With rouge more subtle approach is required, more planning (like using traps effectively)  

Edited by knownastherat

Why do you reckon? Seriously, as my only experience with rogue was the pacifist run long ago. Then I used the known approach of splitting, waiting and setting trap. Is there Fortitude check? But indeed, rogue with "invisibility" can breeze through the game as there is no grinding but questing here. With Wiz, as much as I like them, after certain level I just walk in and kill everything. With rouge more subtle approach is required, more planning (like using traps effectively)  

One of the statues prones you all the time.

• Like 1

Damn it, well, if I have to I will need to respec later, which I would prefer to avoid when it comes to Attributes. Either build is legit, to finish the adventure with, or not. With some luck (reload). This build is 2 MIG with high DEX, PER and RES so there is no room  and INT 10 hmm 

If prone is the only problem, there are items I think and well maybe it would need to be stun-locked or something. So far, enemies who attack Fortitude, like those damn kobold skirmishers or Darguls I do not engage 1on1  

Thanks for head up.

• Like 1