Favorite NPC moments

My new favorite banter I think is Eder and Hiravas.

Eder - "Now that we are friend's again can I pet you"

Hiravas - " Eder is your family tree just one big looping square"

This one was right up there was Minsc and Viconia for me.

Reminded me why I don't like Eder much. Comes off as a simpleton hick. lol.

• Like 1

I don't know, he never seemed stupid to me, just someone who likes to live carelessly and likes some self-depreciative humor once in a while.

That quote of yours gives me the impression he is being silly, not thick.

Edited by DreamWayfarer

Loved that bit when Edér says even a god of redemption's got to have standards, and the Hiravias-Pallegina banter in which he asks whether she's got feathers downstairs too, she implies she's going to eviscerate him if he tries to find out, and he says he rather values his viscera. Will quote verbatim next time I run into them in-game.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I like most of the banter. Durance and GM are the worst in this respect, although Durance is the butt of some pretty funny lines. Like when he goes on a rant about how women will betray you etc., and Aloth comments "Perhaps they just don't answer to 'fiery whore.'" Or when that one dargul wants to eat someone and Edér goes, "Will he accept Durance?"

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

I don't know, he never seemed stupid to me, just someone who likes to live carelessly and likes some self-depreciative humor once in a while.

And this is what makes it great. The NPCs have enough depth to be perceived in different manners.

There are a couple I just cannot manage to get into though. Grieving Mother comes to mind first....I still haven't managed to keep her around for a long time. Anyone think she would really be worth a whole playthrough? I also haven't play with Devil at all; the power-gamer in me just dies at the stats. I've seen some decent ideas on making her viable but, ugh...we'll see.

I like GM enough, and I'd definitely recommend going through her story in full at least once; but I can see how she may not be everyone's cup of tea.

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

And this is what makes it great. The NPCs have enough depth to be perceived in different manners.

There are a couple I just cannot manage to get into though. Grieving Mother comes to mind first....I still haven't managed to keep her around for a long time. Anyone think she would really be worth a whole playthrough? I also haven't play with Devil at all; the power-gamer in me just dies at the stats. I've seen some decent ideas on making her viable but, ugh...we'll see.

Dude it isn't that bad.  I completed the game with her on PotD/ToI and she was an all star against the Adra Dragon and in general since I got her.  With Deathblows she critted that bitch for over 300.  I turned her into a front line duelist with a LARGE shield and  a one hander since they gave her 5 Resolve.  Rogue has a crap ton of ACC even with a large shield its more then enough for PotD.  She not only had more then adequate deflection for regular mobs with Reinforcing Exhoration she could even face tank dragons as long as the buff was on and still deal a large amount of pain.  Yes not as much pain as a min/maxed rogue but a min/maxed dps rogue does not have her defense.  She also critted the heck out of the Adra Dragon with Riposte.  I made it not only work but excel and I am by no means as good as some guys on this forum like Andrea, Beor or Prima Junta.

I understand that a rogues job really isn't to tank.  But on PotD/ToI and with an AI that is smarter then the average AI in that it targets softies on the regular having good deflection and good damage counts for a lot. 

Have gun will travel.

I only keep Grieving Mother around for her questline (which has a great concept I think and goes pretty dark). Aside from that, she's never in my party. Since she has no banter and most of her interjections tend to be "I SENSE something here" spiritual character stuff which I've grown tired of, it's a no no for me.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Hmmm... I liked Eder's story about the little girl who was given an animals soul. That really nailed the setting if you ask me.

All of Aloth's lines, especially his famous coxfixer line, were great. 

Finally, I just love the Devil of Caroc's voice. Sent chills up my spine whenever she said something.

Edited by Heijoushin
  • Like 2

Favourite has got to be when Durance goes down in a fight.

Eder "Has it got quite all of a sudden"

• Like 4

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

When you are in Sun in Shadow, and the Watcher does the thing where the souls come out and start lighting the whole place. Right after, Edér says something like

"I had a thing in my eye. I missed most of it. Can you do it again?"

I couldn't stop laughing at that line. There was such a sombre mood and Edér's line just broke it. xD

• Like 4

Yeah gotta love Edér. He manages to be comic relief without being the dumb sidekick with ha-ha lines; it would've been all too easy to do that by making him the dumb backwoods hick -- all the ingredients for that stereotype are there, right down to the straw he's chewing in the portrait. So big bravo to the writers for going against type!

Edited by PrimeJunta
  • Like 8

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Sacrificing Grieving Mother to the blood pit. Grieving Mother is horribly dying whilst no one notices it and Eder talks about food, Kana gets nervous and Durance scratches his own arse with his staff. Hilarious!

Edited by zered
  • Like 2

Most of them. I sincerely think this game to have a lot of brilliantly written dialogue and narration. 

But I have to be honest:

"RIGHT FETCHIN' FITHERS, LASS!" gets me every . single. time. 

His "Fye, yer itching for the kindling touch of yer sister, ye coxfither!" when you first meet him is what I love to quote the most, but all his Iselmyr lines are hilarious.

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

It's too bad the barks when other characters die don't fire too often, Iselmyr has some good ones. My favorite would have to be the one when Durance dies, and Iselmyr starts screaming "Durance!" and then a beat and then Aloth finishes with "He's not moving."

The reactions of the little guys (Hiravias and Sagani) to "Big Guy Kana"'s death are also hilarious, "The big one is down! We're doomed!" for Hiravias and "The big fella's down!" in an absolutely panicked tone for Sagani.

Also how everyone's reaction is pretty much variations on "We're ****ed!" whenever Pallegina goes down.

A collection of the barks :

Edited by Sannom
  • Like 6

His "Fye, yer itching for the kindling touch of yer sister, ye coxfither!" when you first meet him is what I love to quote the most, but all his Iselmyr lines are hilarious.

I agree! As soon as I encountered the famous "coxfither" line during my first play through I nearly fell of my chair.  I then collected myself and stared blankly at the screen for a few seconds, nodding silently whilst assessing the awesomeness of it all. I seriously thing PoE to be one of the best novels games I ever put my hands on. I am also quite fond of "Her Wickedness" The Devil of Caroc: she had her soul stripped from her body and glued to an empty mechanical shell and still has managed not to lose her sense of humour. 

In general, I must say I believe Carrie Patel to be very good at writing dialogues: they always sound so witty and fresh!

@Sannom: I believe the party's reactions to the Durance's departure to be hilarious as well, especially if compared with what they have to say when somebody else dies.

-Aloth, clearly on the verge of tears: "Edér, no!!"; "Watcher, no!!!" and then, "Durance... he's not moving. I'm going to have some tea, does anybody want some? I also have some biscuits if you'd like! And crumpets!"

-Edér, audibly heartbroken: "Pallegina! Never thought I'd see this..."; "I should have been there, Aloth..." and finally "Well, at least we don't have to listen to him anymore" *the sound of vuvuzelas swells in the background*

-Another thing I like is Maerwald's monologue. "Soldier... and marauder. Soldier... and marauder... and Maerwald". Gives me the chills every time. 

But please. Please, let's not forget about this: (I made some of these with my favorite quotes from the game. Might do others if you'd like)

keep-calm-and-bury-me-with-my-scrolls.pn
Edited by Barbedbeat
  • Like 3

We need one that says "Keep calm and be as quiet as a calm sea--which is not very quiet." XD

• Like 3

We need one that says "Keep calm and be as quiet as a calm sea--which is not very quiet." XD

Done!.... Although I cannot seem to find a way to directly upload pictures from my PC... Any suggestions?

Oh, wait! I think I found a way!

keep-calm-and-be-as-quiet-as-a-calm-sea.

Edited by Barbedbeat
  • Like 1

I love that line, it starts off sounding all sneaky and zen but then he goes "actually wait..." and you're like "oh yeah..."  Didn't realise all those lines were by the same person, they should like get to write more, chain her to the desk and get her pumping that stuff out!!  Or not...

One thing I missed from the old IE games that they didn't do in Pillars was the funny lines you'd get when clicking on a character repeatedly.  Maybe not fourth wall breaking like they were in Baldur's Gate, but something more than the two different lines you get currently that quite often consist of a single word (Eder's "Hey" for instance).

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams