Favorite NPC moments

One thing I missed from the old IE games that they didn't do in Pillars was the funny lines you'd get when clicking on a character repeatedly.  Maybe not fourth wall breaking like they were in Baldur's Gate, but something more than the two different lines you get currently that quite often consist of a single word (Eder's "Hey" for instance).

I couldn't agree more! I hope that in PoE2 they'll improve this, because only two lines for the clicking action are not enough. Hey. Hey. Mh. Hey. Hey. Mh. Don't they realize how many times we are going to hear those words? Give us a bit of variety!

I had to edit the companions' audio files to make them say more interesting things on selection! :)

• Like 2

Edér, I am using WhatsApp!

One thing I missed from the old IE games that they didn't do in Pillars was the funny lines you'd get when clicking on a character repeatedly.  Maybe not fourth wall breaking like they were in Baldur's Gate, but something more than the two different lines you get currently that quite often consist of a single word (Eder's "Hey" for instance).

I couldn't agree more! I hope that in PoE2 they'll improve this, because only two lines for the clicking action are not enough. Hey. Hey. Mh. Hey. Hey. Mh. Don't they realize how many times we are going to hear those words? Give us a bit of variety!

I had to edit the companions' audio files to make them say more interesting things on selection! :)

At least it's not a "Heya, it's me Imoen!" ;)  Guessing they were more focused on making sure other things were voiced first, but I feel it would add that little bit of charm to lighten the mood occasionally.

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

At least it's not a "Heya, it's me Imoen!"  ;)  Guessing they were more focused on making sure other things were voiced first, but I feel it would add that little bit of charm to lighten the mood occasionally.

Oh my... Imoen's unbearable meowling has haunted my dreams for too long... I still prefer PoE's mixed collection of "Hey! Aye? Que? Yees?", quick and (almost) painless. Planescape: Torment, however, featured the best "selection banter" of all time in my opinion. "You know, if I could click you, you wouldn't know a moment's peace!" - Morte 

Another cool NPC bark that I liked was the following: upon analyzing the gigantic adra head in Caed Nua, level 3 (I think), Aloth would sometimes say "Oh, that's tacky!", causing this to flash through my mind: 

Edited by Barbedbeat
  • Like 1

I love that line, it starts off sounding all sneaky and zen but then he goes "actually wait..." and you're like "oh yeah..."  Didn't realise all those lines were by the same person, they should like get to write more, chain her to the desk and get her pumping that stuff out!!  Or not...

Actually, they did. Companions' voice sets in \PillarsOfEternity_Data\data\audio\vocalization\vo wav include this barks but for some reason they never trigger. Pallegina says, for example, "Do you think if you click on me enough that I'll lay an egg? Sorry to disappoint you."

• Like 4

I love that line, it starts off sounding all sneaky and zen but then he goes "actually wait..." and you're like "oh yeah..."  Didn't realise all those lines were by the same person, they should like get to write more, chain her to the desk and get her pumping that stuff out!!  Or not...

Actually, they did. Companions' voice sets in \PillarsOfEternity_Data\data\audio\vocalization\vo wav include this barks but for some reason they never trigger. Pallegina says, for example, "Do you think if you click on me enough that I'll lay an egg? Sorry to disappoint you."

Yeah, listening to the video Sannom linked above, all the characters had a few lines like that.  I wonder if you have to click repeatedly in quick succession, but I never heard them before.  Actually there were quite a few lines I'd never heard before.

Yeah, listening to the video Sannom linked above, all the characters had a few lines like that.  I wonder if you have to click repeatedly in quick succession, but I never heard them before.  Actually there were quite a few lines I'd never heard before.

On that matter, could some kind and generous soul help me understand what Iselmyr says at round 7:05? I get most of it, but one word... And it bothers me quite a lot.  I adore Matt Mercer's Scottish accent tough!

On that matter, could some kind and generous soul help me understand what Iselmyr says at round 7:05? I get most of it, but one word... And it bothers me quite a lot.  I adore Matt Mercer's Scottish accent tough!

"I dinnae think anything could down the hairy fellow!"

Is that it? You can check it yourself, though. In \PillarsOfEternity_Data\data\localized\en\text\conversations\companions folder open companion_cv_aloth_voice_set.stringtable file in Notepad.

• Like 1

Aw man!  I wonder why, did they decide deliberately not to implement them?  Or has no one thought to mention it to them? 

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

Probably the latter.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Probably the latter.

The we must inform them!  *Stands with one foot on desk, draws St Ydwen's Redeemer and holds it aloft pointing forwards* To the technical forums!

• Like 3

"I dinnae think anything could down the hairy fellow!"

Is that it? You can check it yourself, though. In \PillarsOfEternity_Data\data\localized\en\text\conversations\companions folder open companion_cv_aloth_voice_set.stringtable file in Notepad.

THANK YOU! Yes, that was precisely it.  Unfortunately tough I cannot access the data you mentioned- I downloaded the game from the App Store (what a mistake) and thus most of the game files are impossible to retrieve.

I'd just be given the Raedrick's Hold quest by Kolsc when this came up in the dialogue:

Durance:

• (Durance chortles, nearly choking on his own disdain.)
  • Shining God.  He never shone so brightly as when the bomb took him.
  • The Moniker is obsolete now. Ash does not shine.

Eder:

• It's like if someone was to call you the attractive priest, Durance.

(Note, Eder's making a statement, not asking a question.)

Hope the fix for friendly fire and Caed Nua barks makes it in for 3.0 final :)

• Like 2

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

And to click my companions silly only to hear their annoyed reaction, of course.

I used to do this all the time when playing Starcraft. Some of the ticked off lines were epic in that game.

"This is not Warcraft in space!" "It is much more sophisticated!" "I know it's not 3D!"

XD

• Like 2

I really love the party banter where Eder asks Sagani if he can pet her white fox. She says sure, but he bites. Eder says he's gonna pet him anyway. The follow-up party banter where she asks how's his hand, and he responds that it's turning purple but hasn't come off yet, is priceless. "If I'm not supposed to pet him, how come he's so soft?!"

I also love the party banter where Eder offers to buy Aloth a drink some time. Aloth sounds surprised and touched, but then Eder awkwardly replies that, well, yes, he can come too, but he was mainly offering Iselmyr. Aloth then gets huffy and wonders why does everyone love her more than him? Eder says something like, "She just tells the best stories!" with open admiration.

(Gotta love Eder's complete open-mindedness. He loves all animals regardless of how wild, feral, vicious, or deadly they are, and when he likes a woman he'll go right ahead and ask her out, even if she's the Awakened split personality of a prim, proper, haughty male elf.)

Edited by Faerunner
  • Like 1

"Not I, though. Not I," said the hanging dwarf.

I also love the party banter where Eder offers to buy Aloth a drink some time. Aloth sounds surprised and touched, but then Eder awkwardly replies that, well, yes, he can come too, but he was mainly offering Iselmyr. Aloth then gets huffy and wonders why does everyone love her more than him? Eder says something like, "She just tells the best stories!" with open admiration.

(Gotta love Eder's complete open-mindedness. He loves all animals regardless of how wild, feral, vicious, or deadly they are, and when he likes a woman he'll go right ahead and ask her out, even if she's the Awakened split personality of a prim, proper, haughty male elf.)

Poor Aloth, nobody likes him :(. Honestly, he is the companion I pity the most.

I mean, if he, an intelligent and almost sane person, joined the Key, a shady group whose purpose is to hide secrets even they don't know, then his life must have been completely void of meaning back then.

And if he decided to travel with the first mysterious stranger that appeared because tge agent that was supposed to contact him did not show up, and sticked with said stranger even if it meant opposing the Key, his life as a cultist must have been equaly empty.

And now his new friends turn out to only really like his annoying Awakened intruder, who gets him into trouble all the time and usurps his body.

• Like 2

Poor Aloth, nobody likes him :(. Honestly, he is the companion I pity the most.

I mean, if he, an intelligent and almost sane person, joined the Key, a shady group whose purpose is to hide secrets even they don't know, then his life must have been completely void of meaning back then.

And if he decided to travel with the first mysterious stranger that appeared because tge agent that was supposed to contact him did not show up, and sticked with said stranger even if it meant opposing the Key, his life as a cultist must have been equaly empty.

And now his new friends turn out to only really like his annoying Awakened intruder, who gets him into trouble all the time and usurps his body.

That's true. sad.png Not to mention his abusive childhood where his drunken brute of a father who sent him to good schools then beat him black and blue if he got so much as an A-. He must have always felt so much pressure to keep up appearances and get good marks to not only keep from getting beaten, but to hide his horrible home life.

Then Iselmyr Awoke, and, while she kept his dad from beating him again, her random outbursts (usually to start fights with people whenever Aloth felt scared or stressed) just created more problems for him, and he felt he had to keep her hidden too.

Both of these probably made him feel like he had to keep his distance from his peers; first to hide the shame and vulnerability of having an abusive father, then to hide his wild alter-ego who just liked to start trouble. This might explain how distant and aloof he is with everyone.

... In fact, now that you mentioned it, how'd you describe the Leaden Key? "A shady group whose purpose is to hide secrets even they don't know." His whole life was all about hiding secrets up to that point. Hide his abusive home life, hide Iselmyr. Between that and his empty life void of any meaning or friendships due to said secrets, it's almost no wonder he fell into the "wrong crowd" with the Leaden Key, and then left because that wasn't doing anything for him either.

Then his new friends find out about Iselmyr and like her better than him.  :wacko:

Ah. Layers upon layers of "What a shame."

It's too bad, because I really like Aloth. He's my favorite character (and that's saying something because I love most characters this game). I really liked being able to help him through some of his issues, and show support during some of his more difficult moments (I will always love the scene where you can hold his hand to gently reassure him when he's under hypnosis and lost in the terror brought on by reliving the day Iselmyr Awoke), and I was so proud of how far he'd come by the end.

I wish it was possible for the Watcher to convey how much he meant to her (i.e. "I like you more than Iselmyr" or "I'll always be on your side"), especially considering how much the other companions and the world in general dumped on him, but alas. What's shown in the game is still really nice too.  =]

Edited by Faerunner
  • Like 2

"Not I, though. Not I," said the hanging dwarf.

A new favorite moment:

Durance and Aloth talking about Iselmyr, and Durance is being Durance as usual. But in the end:

D:"She has backbone, that woman. Does it scare you?"

A:"No, but I won't be responsible for what happens if you call her 'whore'."

I just wish Aloth and Iselmyr could learn how to make peace with one another somehow, because I am sure she likes when he tells Durance to stop being so Durance.