Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Paladin solo vs Thaos (PotD)

solo potd paladin thaos

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Raven Darkholme

Raven Darkholme

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1998 posts
  • Steam:Victor_Creed_SFV

Wow, St Ydwens redeemer is so insane.

It's very situational: Best weapon in the game vs. Vessels; ok against everyone else.

I usually always have a guy bound to it in the party, and I always unlock all levels, because it's so useful in the final fight ;) (it helps that it looks badass too)

Not so situational, there are many tough fights involving vessels especially in WM - (adra) animats, durgan's battery mobs, forge guardians, fampyrs, darguls, death guards, Concelhaut... To unlock the last level will be tough for a solo however  :p  - I wonder if second chance counts as being revived...

I wondered the same, but I don't think I can try it out.^^

Kaylon

Kaylon

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1275 posts

Good news for paladins/barbarians/fighters - second chance counts as revival during combat and thus you can fully upgrade St. Ydwen's Redeemer even when you play solo. However I still find this requirement pretty stupid because if you're playing a Trial of Iron game your main character won't be able to fully upgrade it... :shrugz:

Torm51

Torm51

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1753 posts
  • Steam:extol51
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

As solo ya you are screwed.  It is still bugged with Flames of Devotion though?  The sword would proc on non vessels have no effect and suppress the fire portion of FoD.  Ydwen for Paladins is a DPS loss against non vessels as their is a chance your fire portion of FoD will be suppressed and not destroy the target (its not a vessel).

Kaylon

Kaylon

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1275 posts

As solo ya you are screwed.  It is still bugged with Flames of Devotion though?  The sword would proc on non vessels have no effect and suppress the fire portion of FoD.  Ydwen for Paladins is a DPS loss against non vessels as their is a chance your fire portion of FoD will be suppressed and not destroy the target (its not a vessel).

I wouldn't use it as main weapon, but vs vessels it's too good to not use it. Didn't know about the Flames of Devotion bug, but it doesn't bother me too much because I use it mostly at the start of the fight with a ranged weapon...

Raven Darkholme

Raven Darkholme

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1998 posts

Ok, finally managed to pull this off and beat the game.

Yesterday I gave up frustrated after my Invisibility on crit activated two fights in a row.

It was late and I just beat Thaos while being invisible and ended the game.

Today my pride urged me to retry, got invisible once and then pulled it off to kill the mf.

Thx again for the awesome strategy.

Kaylon

Kaylon

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1275 posts

Ok, I just saw your fight against Thaos. I had also plenty of bugs during this fight (besides perma invisibility one) - if I switch weapons or if I'm interrupted by a push/prone during the drinking animation my character becomes unresponsive...

Now a few comments about the strategy:

- I used Aru-Brekr mainly for the defense vs ranged attacks which works vs Cleansing Flame; a better choice would be defense against spells but it's bugged in my game (you could even use both and have more freedom with the other stats...); also brigandines offer the next best DR to crush/slash after plate.

- missile reflection from durgan/Golden Scales is useless in this fight because it reflects only grazes/hits; grazes are already reflected by the Aila Braccia and you don't want Thaos to be able to hit you at all...

- Aila Braccia is good for 2 reasons - it converts ALL missiles grazes to misses and reflects the grazes back; the first reason is the most important because it works like +35 defense vs missiles - it allows you to reach 100% defense vs Cleansing Flame and 35% chance to reflect it back

- with the Unstoppable talent, Boots of Stability, potion of Llengrat, 22dex and 26per you're immune to the prone of the Judge even without shield if he doesn't have his buff (here comes Deprive the Unworthy)

- if you're able to hit the judge without interruption you can destroy the judge before Deprive the Unworthy wears off 9 times of 10

- you should keep 1 Deprive the Unworthy vs Thaos necause his Cleansing Flame can pass your defenses if he was buffed by the Judge - ideally you should kill the Judge first - that way you avoid fighting a buffed Thaos.

Edited by Kaylon, 05 February 2016 - 12:30 PM.

• Raven Darkholme likes this

Raven Darkholme

Raven Darkholme

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1998 posts

Ok, I just saw your fight against Thaos. I had also plenty of bugs during this fight (besides perma invisibility one) - if I switch weapons or if I'm interrupted by a push/prone during the drinking animation my character becomes unresponsive...

Now a few comments about the strategy:

- I used Aru-Brekr mainly for the defense vs ranged attacks which works vs Cleansing Flame; a better choice would be defense against spells but it's bugged in my game (you could even use both and have more freedom with the other stats...); also brigandines offer the next best DR to crush/slash after plate.

- missile reflection from durgan/Golden Scales is useless in this fight because it reflects only grazes/hits; grazes are already reflected by the Aila Braccia and you don't want Thaos to be able to hit you at all...

- Aila Braccia is good for 2 reasons - it converts ALL missiles grazes to misses and reflects the grazes back; the first reason is the most important because it works like +35 defense vs missiles - it allows you to reach 100% defense vs Cleansing Flame and 35% chance to reflect it back

- with the Unstoppable talent, Boots of Stability, potion of Llengrat, 22dex and 26per you're immune to the prone of the Judge even without shield if he doesn't have his buff (here comes Deprive the Unworthy)

- if you're able to hit the judge without interruption you can destroy the judge before Deprive the Unworthy wears off 9 times of 10

- you should keep 1 Deprive the Unworthy vs Thaos necause his Cleansing Flame can pass your defenses if he was buffed by the Judge - ideally you should kill the Judge first - that way you avoid fighting a buffed Thaos.

Thx for the insights, I didn't know that. :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: solo, potd, paladin, thaos

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users