Since scaled Thaos can be even more cheap and brutal than the dragons I thought it would be interesting to find a good method to kill him. Tanking him (video 1) is possible but not very reliable (various bugs mostly and sometimes rng can screw you badly if you don't play perfectly).

The second method is to run and shoot them to death (video 2) since the map looks like it was designed for that .  8)

https://youtu.be/6oGAmsXep34

https://youtu.be/E8jh6m-fO9o

PS. In my game the spellward amulet is bugged and I'm losing 10 more defense against spells. With it you could reach 100% protection against Cleansing Flame more easily.

I tested spell ward in mine and it works. But it's actually the necklace that you get from the club Bradfords whatever. It's the same as spell ward maybe that's it. Its a diff item.

Also Deprive the Unworthy turns thaos into a clown. You know that though. Unfortunately that ability isn't that good since most npcs don't have buffs that are that threatening. Although with the better AI now I have found times where I have wanted the talent.

Oh and ya I don't use it now because it robs status immunities that aren't intended :p

Have gun will travel.

Deprive the unworthy isn't that effective because it just suppresses the active buffs and since Thaos team has unlimited spells/buffs they get buffed back fast. It could help only after killing the Judge to remove his accuracy buff from the others.

PS. Tried all the items giving spell defense and they don't work in my game.

Deprive the unworthy isn't that effective because it just suppresses the active buffs and since Thaos team has unlimited spells/buffs they get buffed back fast. It could help only after killing the Judge to remove his accuracy buff from the others.

PS. Tried all the items giving spell defense and they don't work in my game.

Ya you are talking solo very true.  As a Paladin you just don't have the dps to kill him before he rebuffs.  In a group with Deprive the Unworthy and real heavy hitters hes a joke.

Have gun will travel.

Heh, found a way to make this fight trivial... With a potion of Llengrath and Aila Braccia you have enough deflection to make his Cleansing Flame graze you at best and return back to the sender. Basically he will disable himself for the most of the fight and finally suicide himself...  :grin:

PS. The laguafeths also become trivial with this shield and on a monk it's probably even more hilarious. 

• Like 4

Yes, it's really nice. I always thought "this shield is pretty useless" until it reflected some spells and I realized that "ranged" didn't mean arrows and bullets alone, but also targeted spells.

Reflection also works with Badgradr's Barricade (+durgan steel) and The Golden Scales. In this case it's a 30% chance of all ranged attacks that get reflected.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Yeah, there are 3 kinds of reflections:

- Soul Mirror ability which reflects only misses (50%)

- Reflection (Aila Braccia) which reflects only grazes (100%)

- Reflecting (Golden Scales), Major Reflection (Badgradr's Barricade), Durgan-Reinforced (Shields) which reflect only crits/hits/grazes (10%).

So a monk using Aila Braccia could, in theory, make himself immune to ranged attacks and at the same time reflect back 57.5% of all ranged attacks.

Reflection also works with Badgradr's Barricade (+durgan steel) and The Golden Scales. In this case it's a 30% chance of all ranged attacks that get reflected.

Indeed, with that particular combination of armor and shield you'd look so hideous and unfashionable that ranged attacks would rather make a U-turn and go back to the sender than to hit you :p

• Like 2

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

• 4 weeks later...

Hehe - nice.

But huh? Did the Cleansing Flame miss at the end of the fight got reflected because of the durgan reinforcement?

Because the shield itself only reflects grazes I thought.

Edited by Boeroer

Hehe - nice.

But huh? Did the Cleansing Flame miss at the end of the fight got reflected because of the durgan reinforcement?

It was a graze too, but grazes are converted to misses and reflected (you can see how it works when I show the logs for the first one).

Wow, St Ydwens redeemer is so insane.

It's very situational: Best weapon in the game vs. Vessels; ok against everyone else.

I usually always have a guy bound to it in the party, and I always unlock all levels, because it's so useful in the final fight ;) (it helps that it looks badass too)

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Hehe - nice.

It was a graze too, but grazes are converted to misses and reflected (you can see how it works when I show the logs for the first one).

Ahhh! That explains it (couldn't read the log too well on my mobile). :)

It's very situational: Best weapon in the game vs. Vessels; ok against everyone else.

I usually always have a guy bound to it in the party, and I always unlock all levels, because it's so useful in the final fight ;) (it helps that it looks badass too)

Not so situational, there are many tough fights involving vessels especially in WM - (adra) animats, durgan's battery mobs, forge guardians, fampyrs, darguls, death guards, Concelhaut... To unlock the last level will be tough for a solo however  :p  - I wonder if second chance counts as being revived...

• Like 1

Not so situational, there are many tough fights involving vessels especially in WM - (adra) animats, durgan's battery mobs, forge guardians, fampyrs, darguls, death guards, Concelhaut... To unlock the last level will be tough for a solo however  :p  - I wonder if second chance counts as being revived...

I wondered the same, but I don't think I can try it out.^^

Good news for paladins/barbarians/fighters - second chance counts as revival during combat and thus you can fully upgrade St. Ydwen's Redeemer even when you play solo. However I still find this requirement pretty stupid because if you're playing a Trial of Iron game your main character won't be able to fully upgrade it... :shrugz:

As solo ya you are screwed.  It is still bugged with Flames of Devotion though?  The sword would proc on non vessels have no effect and suppress the fire portion of FoD.  Ydwen for Paladins is a DPS loss against non vessels as their is a chance your fire portion of FoD will be suppressed and not destroy the target (its not a vessel).

Have gun will travel.

As solo ya you are screwed.  It is still bugged with Flames of Devotion though?  The sword would proc on non vessels have no effect and suppress the fire portion of FoD.  Ydwen for Paladins is a DPS loss against non vessels as their is a chance your fire portion of FoD will be suppressed and not destroy the target (its not a vessel).

I wouldn't use it as main weapon, but vs vessels it's too good to not use it. Didn't know about the Flames of Devotion bug, but it doesn't bother me too much because I use it mostly at the start of the fight with a ranged weapon...

Ok, finally managed to pull this off and beat the game.

Yesterday I gave up frustrated after my Invisibility on crit activated two fights in a row.

It was late and I just beat Thaos while being invisible and ended the game.

Today my pride urged me to retry, got invisible once and then pulled it off to kill the mf.

Thx again for the awesome strategy.