Can't get rid of screen tearing.

NoGods-NoMasters

Question

I'm having trouble getting rid of screen tearing on a machine that should easily run Pillars.

I have a i5-6300HQ @2.3Ghz (3+ in turbo)

8gb ram Nvidia GeForce GTX 960M w/ 4gb vram

I've tried with vsync on and off. I also capped my frames at 60 to match my monitor. I don't know what else to do. This laptop should be able to run the game without issue.

Any suggestions/work-arounds? Thanks.

5 answers to this question

Hello again,

It appears to be a graphical issue. If you haven't done so already, please update both your graphics card as your dxdiag shows your Intel HD Graphics 530 as your primary. Make sure that your Nvidia card is set as your preferred GPU. I have provided a link for you on how to so just in case.

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht078706

Let me know if that worked. 

Hello again,

It appears to be a graphical issue. If you haven't done so already, please update both your graphics card as your dxdiag shows your Intel HD Graphics 530 as your primary. Make sure that your Nvidia card is set as your preferred GPU. I have provided a link for you on how to so just in case.

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht078706

Let me know if that worked. 

I've got my Nvidia drivers to auto update. They are up to date, and my Nvidia graphics, and not my Intel Graphics are running the game. It still tears, but it isn't game breaking - it's just a minor annoyance. I think I've tried everything; capped my frames, forced vsync, took vsync off, used my Nvidia GeForce experience to optimize settings, etc. 

I have had the same issue since launch. I am also on a laptop with specs that can easily handle the game, and the screen tears when I scroll the map. No graphics issues occur when the map is not being scrolled. 

The issue is way worse with VSynch enabled, the higher I set my framerate the less noticeable the tearing becomes even though my monitor is capped at 48. 

I have continually updated my drivers for both the integrated intel chip and my mobile nvidia gpu, and have repeatedly ensured that my nvidia gpu is set to preferred for running Pillars.