White March Part 2 delayed a bit, coming February 16

Story trailer:

https://www.paradoxplaza.com/news/White-March-2-Trailer/

IRVINE, Calif. and STOCKHOLM — Jan. 5, 2016 — Obsidian Entertainment and Paradox Interactive announced today that The White March – Part 2, the second expansion to Pillars of Eternity, will release on February 16, 2016. The White March – Part 2 not only adds new content to the Pillars of Eternity universe, but also allows players to experience the conclusion of the stories told in The White March – Part 1, bringing the first epic chapter of Pillars of Eternity to a close. Players will find a variety of new challenges waiting for them in the snowy borderlands of the Eastern Reach, along with new quests, new abilities and a raised level cap, and a new companion: Meneha, the Barbarian.

For a first glimpse at The White March – Part 2, Obsidian and Paradox have released a new game trailer, available here:

Directed by Josh Sawyer, Game Director of Fallout: New Vegas and Pillars of Eternity, The White March - Part 2 brings players through an expertly crafted story from the award-winning team at Obsidian Entertainment. A series of new features await fans of the Pillars of Eternity universe, including a new “Story Time” mode, letting players experience the incredible narrative of Pillars of Eternity at a faster pace. Players will discover the answers to questions asked in the prior expansion, and lead companions old and new through new locations such as the Abbey of the Fallen Moon.

Pillars of Eternity, created by role-playing game (RPG) veterans also known for Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords and South Park: The Stick of Truth, is a RPG inspired by classic titles such as Baldur’s Gate, Icewind Dale, and Planescape: Torment. Created thanks to over 75,000 crowdfunding backers, Pillars of Eternity has sold over 600,000 units, was released to critical acclaim in March 2015, and is among Metacritic’s 15 Best PC Games of 2015.

For more information on Pillars of Eternity and The White March – Part 2, visit https://www.paradoxplaza.com/pillars-of-eternity-the-white-march-pt2.

• Like 4

Fair enough, the release date seemed kinda insane given what patch 3.0 is supposed to change in the base game anyway. Hope Obsidian will use the time to properly polish the experience and won't break more things than they fix (fat chance of that happening)

• Like 1

Good news if you ask me, a little more dev time on 3.0 won't hurt anyone.  I am looking forward to it as I plan to do a new fresh playthrough to experience the enhancements, elven beards, and ex pac part 1/2 all in one go.  Only quandry is will I make a full custom team or give in and bring devil.

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 2

Its a good thing.  I love PoE but the WORST patch was 2.01 with White March Part I.  It borked a lot of stuff.  Even with the delay I will not be surprised if 3.0 does the same.  It likely needs even more time.  Guaranteed that it does.

Edited by Torm51

Have gun will travel.

I actually thought 2.0 was pretty decent; it was 2.01 that just went awry. To be fair, however, they released 2.01 rather hastily to provide a quick fix to bugs the community was being vocal about. It was a noble goal but unfortunately software development doesn't work like that. There is no such thing as a "quick fix"; only fixes that are a bitch to implement and carry a thousand more unintended bugs with them. So there's that.

Back on topic, I'm not bothered by the delay in the slightest. In fact, I'm happy for Obs to take all the time they need to release a quality product.

Will check out the trailer later from home; very curious :)

• Like 2

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I actually thought 2.0 was pretty decent; it was 2.01 that just went awry. To be fair, however, they released 2.01 rather hastily to provide a quick fix to bugs the community was being vocal about. It was a noble goal but unfortunately software development doesn't work like that. There is no such thing as a "quick fix"; only fixes that are a bitch to implement and carry a thousand more unintended bugs with them. So there's that.

Back on topic, I'm not bothered by the delay in the slightest. In fact, I'm happy for Obs to take all the time they need to release a quality product.

Will check out the trailer later from home; very curious :)

yep typo.  I meant 2.01.

Have gun will travel.

Almost... there....

I have been waiting to do my first play-through for both expansions to be out... both for their content and to have the smoothest possible experience (bug/balance-wise). Woohoo!

Been a long time since I clicked on that green button on Kickstarter ;)

• Like 2

On the one hand I'm not at all surprised it's delayed a bit, I kind of expected it and I'd rather they delay it but release a more finished product than rush it out. On the other, I had been hoping that I'd be playing this before the month was out. It's nice to have a solid date to look forward to though.

EDIT: Also, I might be wrong but isn't the narrator a certain important NPC in the main plot?

Edited by JerekKruger
  • Like 1

On the one hand I'm not at all surprised it's delayed a bit, I kind of expected it and I'd rather they delay it but release a more finished product than rush it out. On the other, I had been hoping that I'd be playing this before the month was out. It's nice to have a solid date to look forward to though.

EDIT: Also, I might be wrong but isn't the narrator a certain important NPC in the main plot?

I think the voice reminds me of the narrator from BG2. 

The White March – Part 1, bringing the first epic chapter of Pillars of Eternity to a close

First, so there will be more?

Not saying no to that. The good thing about more expansions is that it will give more fun in the late game when all talents are in place and we can enjoy our build fully. Also each expansion gives time to improve basic game, stuff like talents, stronghold, etc.

Maybe next one could be in Bael Marsh. Marsh and swamps could make different scenery. And such spooky terrain for sure have ruins to explore.

Edited by evilcat
  • Like 1

No idea about the narrator, but presumably those creatures are the eyeless giants that are referenced at the end of The White March Part I.

Than, I'm sure this DLC will reference PoE2 in some way.

Not saying more to that. The good thing about more expansions is that it will give more fun in the late game when all talents are in place and we can enjoy our build fully. Also each expansion gives time to improve basic game, stuff like talents, stronghold, etc.

At first, I thought there will be another unannounced second DLC. : :wowey:

I think POE 2 could happen in the southern hemisphere, and be more nautical, with a ship instead of a stronghold, taking place in many cities and islands from Old Valia to Deadfire arquipelago and The White That Wends, and with much less abandoned dungeons and wilderness areas than we have today.

It would be a good change of pace, for most grand battles to happen not in dark ancient ruins and great fortresses but in harbours and palace courtyards in broad daylight, and for journeys to cross not deep forests and towering mountains, but pirate-infested seas and desolate glaciers.

Edited by DreamWayfarer
  • Like 4

For PoE2 im in theam "Vailian Republics"

- Republics would probably provide many factions, ploting, intrigues and backstabing.

- Ancenze Fortress, Steel Crown Tower, Dulani Keep, Lake of Drowned TOmbs, More Eir lanhaft, obliatory underwater level <- that would make decent set of location for game.

- We can have ship as stronghold, with party as crew. And use it for fast travel, pirate hunting, or trading. (also tresure digging)

- Chance for save export, so some stuff will matter. Like who is in command in Defiance Bay or trade deal. Also biger chance to see old chaps (Pellegia, Aloth, Eder, Hirvalis, Devil)

Edited by evilcat
  • Like 1

I think POE 2 could happen in the southern hemisphere, and be more nautical, with a ship instead of a stronghold, taking place in many cities and islands from Old Valia to Deadfire arquipelago and The White That Wends, and with much less abandoned dungeons and wilderness areas than we have today.

It would be a good change of pace, for most grand battles to happen not in dark ancient ruins and great fortresses but in harbours and palace courtyards in broad daylight, and for journeys to cross not deep forests and towering mountains, but pirate-infested seas and desolate glaciers.

This sounds wonderful, especially the part about harbours and palace courtyards. It immediately makes me daydream about the stories of 1001 nights and Sinbad the Sailor (particularly the movie with Douglas Fairbanks Jr.)

• Like 1

I also think there should be less of an area division between the different acts of the story, and you should have to return to places you have been before as the story goes.

The clear area progression gives a "gamey" feel to the plot, and while needing to update old zones after the end of each act's questline may take more developer time, it can also give more meaning to earlier locations if they keep relevant later on.

I mean, what if instead of going to a middle of nowhere ruin a priest pointed us at to investigate the Leaden Key during act 2, we learned they wanted to destroy Raedric's animancer's research and we had to find out why?

Edited by DreamWayfarer
  • Like 2

Not saying no to that. The good thing about more expansions is that it will give more fun in the late game when all talents are in place and we can enjoy our build fully. Also each expansion gives time to improve basic game, stuff like talents, stronghold, etc.

Maybe next one could be in Bael Marsh. Marsh and swamps could make different scenery. And such spooky terrain for sure have ruins to explore.

I interpreted it as meaning the White March 2 will bring PoE to an end, and the future chapters implied future PoE games. This would be in line with what we've already heard.