Games you want that'll likely never exist

Barothmuk

A piratical adventure, wherein you captain a ship.  A kinda combination of Sid Meier's Pirates with RPGs.  You run around with the usual party, but then when you go to sea your party becomes shipmates, giving bonuses depending on their class or skills.  When you board someone your party is your crew and fights alongside you.  Add in a lot of the previous stuff about renaissance adventuring, Governor's Daughters/Sons, Monkey Islands, etc and you got me... excited...

There was a similar game, made by Russian studio "Akella": "Age of Pirates - Caribbean Tales". 

You could hire various crew members, and roam the land with any 3 of them. Characters had attributes, levels and various talent percs. 

When going to sea, you could appoint them into various positions and thus additionaly improve characteristics of the ship, or ships if you were going to make a fleet. They were also fighting alongside with you during boarding. And could also  appoint one of them as gubernator of a settlement, you could build later on. Recruit troops, improve it's infrastructure, generate income. Although if you had bad relationship with some of the big factions, they would often pay you a visit.

Ah good old times...

I went and looked up that game, its on GOG under the name "Sea Dogs: Caribbean Tales".  I didn't realise that it was like that, nor that I apparently already own the original Sea Dogs on GOG already.  I'll be checking it out to see if its what I been after, though from the description it seems more "Pirates with added RPG elements" as opposed to a full "Pirates RPG" but then I'm a picky bugger whose essentially asking for two full games in one (hence why it will never exist).  I'll probably still enjoy it though, I love Sid Meier's Pirates after all and that is essentially 'half' the game I'm after. :D  I did try Assassin's Creed: Black Flag as that sounded piratey but I found that it was too much Assassin's Creed still for me to enjoy and not enough Renaissance Swashbucklering.  

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I went and looked up that game, its on GOG under the name "Sea Dogs: Caribbean Tales".

This might be a slightly different game.

Longer response:

Sea Dogs was the first game, Akella made back in 2000. And it lacked quite a lot of features.

Latter they released the so called "Pirates of the Carribean" in 2003. This one was better, and has inspired few fans and modders to make a custom expansion for it: "Return of the Legend". They made a team known as "Seaward".

In 2006, Akella has released Corsairs III also known as "Age of Pirates: Caribbean Tales".

And in 2009, they have released "Age of Pirates 2: City of Abandoned Ships". This one was made in cooperation with Seaward, and was a massive expansion to "Return of the Legend". And finally in 2010 another fan group, called "Seven Winds Team", made an additional expansion, called "Cursed by the Destiny", adding lots of additional quests, customization and ability to create own colony, bringing the game close to the maximum potential.

I did try Assassin's Creed: Black Flag as that sounded piratey but I found that it was too much Assassin's Creed still for me to enjoy and not enough Renaissance Swashbucklering.

Well. not saying that AC: Back Flag is bad. It isn't. But after around 8 hours, I ended up doing another playthrough of NWN2... Edited by MaxQuest

A Birthright game thats part Crusader Kings 2, and part political RPG. The main part of the game would be a like a sandbox strategy nation sim in the birthright setting, but there would be a campaign that puts you in control of a particular nation and has heavy roleplaying options, maybe even questing. DLC would be additional campaigns.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Oh, where to start:

A lord-type game where you run a fief.  You would have your own character you could create and walk around as, and it would be kinda like Crossroads keep in Neverwinter Nights 2 but with the whole game focusing on it.  You would get to allocate troops around your domain, recruit troops, etc like in a strategy game but then you would also go on adventures with some of your men, greet visiting dignitaries and go hunting with them, wander round your villages, execute traitors, engage in politics, you know the good stuff.

A swashbuckling renaissance adventure set around the 16th-17th centuries with Three Musketeers type characters, perhaps set in Venice.  There was that game, Venetica, but I want something more.  I want rival fencing schools fighting in the streets to prove whose is better, I want the player to get to choose fencing styles and for fencing styles to be, well, fency.  I want to go to Renaissance parties, have duels, shoot someone in the face with a pistol, that kind of thing.  To become a patron of the arts, to have clockwork gizmos, and hidden supernatural entities.  

A piratical adventure, wherein you captain a ship.  A kinda combination of Sid Meier's Pirates with RPGs.  You run around with the usual party, but then when you go to sea your party becomes shipmates, giving bonuses depending on their class or skills.  When you board someone your party is your crew and fights alongside you.  Add in a lot of the previous stuff about renaissance adventuring, Governor's Daughters/Sons, Monkey Islands, etc and you got me... excited...

If you like Venice for a setting, you should have a look at Masquerada: Songs and Shadows. The world was inspired by Venice.

I have another kind of game that I would love to play but problably never will. Urban Fantasy set in the real world, with dwarves, elves etc. living openly among us. Just like in a medieval fantasy world, but in our time. If you add some political intrigues , organized crime etc. now, I would buy it right away.

Oh, where to start:

A lord-type game where you run a fief.  You would have your own character you could create and walk around as, and it would be kinda like Crossroads keep in Neverwinter Nights 2 but with the whole game focusing on it.  You would get to allocate troops around your domain, recruit troops, etc like in a strategy game but then you would also go on adventures with some of your men, greet visiting dignitaries and go hunting with them, wander round your villages, execute traitors, engage in politics, you know the good stuff.

A swashbuckling renaissance adventure set around the 16th-17th centuries with Three Musketeers type characters, perhaps set in Venice.  There was that game, Venetica, but I want something more.  I want rival fencing schools fighting in the streets to prove whose is better, I want the player to get to choose fencing styles and for fencing styles to be, well, fency.  I want to go to Renaissance parties, have duels, shoot someone in the face with a pistol, that kind of thing.  To become a patron of the arts, to have clockwork gizmos, and hidden supernatural entities.  

If you like Venice for a setting, you should have a look at Masquerada: Songs and Shadows. The world was inspired by Venice.

I have another kind of game that I would love to play but problably never will. Urban Fantasy set in the real world, with dwarves, elves etc. living openly among us. Just like in a medieval fantasy world, but in our time. If you add some political intrigues , organized crime etc. now, I would buy it right away.

Shadowrun?

PS I'd kill for an Obsidian Shadowrun game

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

After playing Star Fox Zero:

A proper Star Fox game that doesn't ruin the experience with horrible gimmicks.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Urban Fantasy set in the real world, with dwarves, elves etc. living openly among us. Just like in a medieval fantasy world, but in our time. If you add some political intrigues , organized crime etc. now, I would buy it right away.

Shadowrun?

Yes, all three of them!

These games are really good if you’re into cyberpunk settings… with fantasy races and magic ;)

Edited by vv221

an mmo that follows the creed "less is more". a HUGE number of options to pick from but with only a few choices available for you make among these options making every single character unique in it's function within the world and thus creating a natural need for cooperation.

let's make an example

characters have 4 stats that can be raised from 1 to 100

Strength for hp and interactions with heavy objects

Agility for the speed and efficiency of all movement/jumping/climbing

Intelligence for mana and interaction with puzzles

Will for  stamina/defense and interaction with npc

each of these stats affects in a different way the various skills.

ranged magical skills have 1% lower cooldown for every 4 strength, 1% more damage for every 4 intelligence, 1% lower mana cost for every 4 will and 1% shorter cast time for every 4 agility

melee magical skills all have 75% splash damage and do 1% more splash damage for every 4 strength, 1% more damage for every 4 intelligence, 1% greater splash radius for every 4 will and 1% chance to double cast for every 4 agility.

melee physical skills have damage for strength, critical chance for agility, armor penetration for intelligence and chance to cause an additional effect for will

ranged physical skills have damage for agility, critical chance for intelligence, lower cooldown for will and greater range for strength

and any other skill type like crowd control, adventuring etc will have benefits basted on the attributes

this way there is no "must have" attribute because each offers something depending on how you want to play.

classes will have combat and adventuring skills (i.e ranger will be able to use track to reveal invisible creatures or players, thief will have hide to become invisible) and besides classes there will be professions and each character can only have one. each profession has a governing attribute (i.e miner requires strength, scribe requires intelligence) and it's level can be raised up to what your current value of the governing attribute allows (let's say there are 20 levels of miner, that means that with 55 strength you can reach up to lv11 and you will have to get 5 more str before you can get it to 12). a fighter may not be too keen on investing on intelligence but if he does and becomes a scribe, he will be a rare commodity for his guild and will make money in the market because a scribe is able to create scrolls containing any one of his skills that can be used by anyone. so let's say the fighter has a skill that makes him invulnerable to damage for a few seconds and makes scrolls with it... every single player who has a glass cannon build will jump at the chance to get these scrolls. a wizard with ranged magic may not be too keen on strength but if he becomes a swordsmith, he will be able to imbue swords with the effects of any one of his skills making a type of sword (like a flame or ice blade) no other class can.

in short a system that makes characters feel unique or at least rare instead of the usual "everyone can do everything so nobody is special" trend that mmos follow for a really long time now.

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

• 2 months later...

I'd like to see an open world space opera game based on a setting in which the galactic empire is in decline and fading fast. Colonies are falling into ruins, the galactic patrol is but a pale shadow of its former self, technology is starting to fail due to lack of replacement parts, growing ranks of pirates and barbarian invaders are on the loose, robots are becoming buggy and defective, and abandoned, overgrown relics of civilization are growing ever more abundant. Only a few desperate islands of civilization hang on against the growing tide; among them are cyber-monasteries that work to preserve old knowledge and a semblance of a working society. Into this mess steps your character, a desperate war refugee now tasked with the mission of recovering old digital works, finding replacement parts and upgrades, rescuing survivors of pillaging space barbarians, and keeping your sparsely populated home world safe at all costs. The protagonist doesn't need to be a hero; just a flexible and capable individual who will do whatever it takes to succeed. She'll need a crew, a ship, and plenty of luck.

But it'll probably never happen.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Transformers RPG, where you get to pick additional modes as you gain in power.

You start off as just a robot, but then you become an alien car. Then you can become an earth car. Then you can also turn into a T-Rex. And then a rocket ship! And each new form modifies your stat progression in some way and grants new powers.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

An open world RPG set in the Planescape setting, at least three time the size of Skyrim (including DLC) with a fully realized Sigil, Blood War, Factions, Primes, Planars, Petitioners, Powers & Proxies. And I want it to have a tool set to create more content, an original story (please don't re-do Torment, you'll only f--k it up) and one last thing, please get the vernacular right. It's a big part of the appeal.

Maybe I should put this in the "What would I do with unlimited money" thread in WoT.

I'm reiterating how much I want this!

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Can we get something like Mirror's Edge without the ridiculous hipster dystopia setting and the awful combat? Faith would be so much more interesting if she just delivered Chinese food or something.

lel, I would play it.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Can we get something like Mirror's Edge without the ridiculous hipster dystopia setting and the awful combat? Faith would be so much more interesting if she just delivered Chinese food or something.

lel, I would play it.

In the city of glass, food runners live on the mirror's edge: Get the food out too late and it's cold, bring it too early, and you'll die from the work load.

My name is F. Late, and I'm a delivery man. I've spent two years cleaning bathrooms after brought the Sicilians Mexican food, but now I'm back.

Edited by Oner
  • Like 2

This fictional RPG I just read about

Arcanum 2 (or barring that any Steampunk CRPG)

A turn-based D&D CRPG  (especially done in the Dark Sun world, but FR would be just fine; preferably in a part of Faerun not previously explored in video games)... Or a turn-based CRPG based The Dark Eye, or any decent tabletop RPG... Seriously why the hell is this so rare?

CRPG that is neither set in a medieval / fantasy world, post-apocalyptic wasteland, or cyberpunk.. (e.g., Wild West, Feudal Japan, Middle East, Ancient Egypt, Prehistoric, etc..)   Really, a CRPG based on any culture / historical time period other than medieval Europe would be so refreshing, but it has rarely been done.

Superhero CRPG; either based on other actual comic book characters or entirely made up ones like in Freedom Force

Edited by daveyd
  • Like 2