Hello!

On the bounty hunting quest in Anslög's Compass a Rautai Raider just knocked Edér out in a single Heart of Fury attack doing over 200 damage to him alone.

Extract from combat log:

Rauatai Raider (Heart of Fury): 37 miss, 49 Graze, 58 Hit, 18 Crit

lots of attacks

The attacks were divided among Kormac (paladin main tank), Edér, Itumaak and ... Wurm Companion!?

Now I have never played a barbarian nor had one in my party so I might not understand how Heart of Fury works, but if I'm interpreting the descriptions of Heart of Fury and Carnage correctly I expected the maximum number of attacks to be:

Heart of Fury: 2 x enemy targets (mainhand + offhand)

Carnage procs: (Heart of Fury attacks) x (enemy targets - 1)

Total attacks for 3 enemies: (2 * 3) + (2 * 3) * (3 - 1) = 18 (or 32 if you count the Wurm Companion pet as an enemy target...).

Please enlighten me if I'm way off (like where does the missing 144 attacks come from?)

Oh and Edér was using a great sword at the time and had 82 deflection and 19 slash DR (not terrible but not great either).

See screenshot for a part of the combat log, I couldn't be bother taking screenshots of it all, it's seriously long :-)

So, bug or working as intended?

post-50654-0-86922200-1451931144_thumb.jpg

Every hit from Heart of Fury triggers carnage. Every additional foe lets the number of hits grow exponentially. That can stack up to great numbers - but 162 hits sounds a bit... over the top. ;)

I have to think about this and do some tests myself before I can give a clear answer.

I know the ability is very powerful - that's why it's only 1/rest.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Heart of fury uses all weapons equiped, those from inactive slots included. An aumaua can have up to 8 weapons equiped. If you have 4 targets clustered together then in theory you can hit 4*4*8=128 times other effects not included...

Edited by Kaylon

Heart of fury uses all weapons equiped, those from inactive slots included. An aumaua can have up to 8 weapons equiped. If you have 4 targets clustered together then in theory you can hit 4*4*8=128 times other effects not included...

Aha, I did not account for that, thanks! Still it doesn't quite add up to 162 though.

Can we agree that Heart of Fury counting the Wurm Companion pet as a target is a bug though? It would seem silly to have to remove non-combat pets before combat ;)

Seriously?

How do you hit with inactive weapons? That sounds like a terrible idea. Is there some lore associated with it?

Seriously?

How do you hit with inactive weapons? That sounds like a terrible idea. Is there some lore associated with it?

Your barbarian is so angry his soul creates three sets of ghost arms for an moment and hits everything in the face.

I never heard nor read about that. Attacking with the other weapon sets also? Sounds really weird. What is your source of information, Kaylon?

Edit: not that I'm saying it isn't right - is just sounds so... don't know... yeah, weird. :)

If that's intended I'm rolling an arms-bearer-island-aumaua-vengeful-defeat-dual-wielding-barb with lots of sabres. I will call him Shiva - or Doctor Octopus. ;)

Edit 2: now that I read the description again it seems that Kaylon got his information from the game itself. It says "each equipped weapon" - I never interpreted it this way, but now...

Edited by Boeroer

So, I did a quick test and made a barbarian with 4 weapon sets and 8 sabres. Each set had a different elemental lash so that I could easily see which set was used when executing Heart of Fury. Turns out that only the active weapon set is used. I had burning lash on my first set, then freezing and so on. The combat log only showed hits with my burning weapons - but a lot of them.

Luckily I landed 10 crits (on 5 Ogres) witth Heart of Fury. That should result in 40 hits/crits altogether with carnage, or not (best case)? 10 full attack hits * 4 times carnage = 40 hits. I didn't count the hits in the combat log, but it looked like that.

This was a very lucky hit and even then it didn't reach 100 or even 160 hits. So I suppose it really is a bug that the enemy barb scored so many hits. And of course it's a bug that the wurm was counted as a target. 

But it'S very difficult to tell because HoF attacks all enemies in a huge area and each hit causes carnage - What I don't know is where the centre of tha carnage are is. What I mean is that if you attack the center of a group and you will hit let's say 4 enemies with the HoF AoE, it may be that the carnage area of the hits that you land at the edge of the HoF AoE stretches out beyond the initial HoF AoE. Do you unterstand what I mean? So in THeory you would carnage-hit many more enemies than the initial 4 (if there are more of them standing around these 4).

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

p.s.: I did a quick sketch to illustrate what I meant:

HoF.png?dl=1

red dots: enemies in range of HoF initial attack

red circle: HoF AoE

grey dots: possible targets of carnage if carnage is centered on the enemies that get hit bei initial HoF full attacks

grey circles: carnage AoE

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 4

So, I did a quick test and made a barbarian with 4 weapon sets and 8 sabres. Each set had a different elemental lash so that I could easily see which set was used when executing Heart of Fury. Turns out that only the active weapon set is used. I had burning lash on my first set, then freezing and so on. The combat log only showed hits with my burning weapons - but a lot of them.

Luckily I landed 10 crits (on 5 Ogres) witth Heart of Fury. That should result in 40 hits/crits altogether with carnage, or not (best case)? 10 full attack hits * 4 times carnage = 40 hits. I didn't count the hits in the combat log, but it looked like that.

This was a very lucky hit and even then it didn't reach 100 or even 160 hits. So I suppose it really is a bug that the enemy barb scored so many hits. And of course it's a bug that the wurm was counted as a target. 

But it'S very difficult to tell because HoF attacks all enemies in a huge area and each hit causes carnage - What I don't know is where the centre of tha carnage are is. What I mean is that if you attack the center of a group and you will hit let's say 4 enemies with the HoF AoE, it may be that the carnage area of the hits that you land at the edge of the HoF AoE stretches out beyond the initial HoF AoE. Do you unterstand what I mean? So in THeory you would carnage-hit many more enemies than the initial 4 (if there are more of them standing around these 4).

Awesome testing!

I understand what you mean by the centre of the carnage and I would think it would be the barbarian doing the hitting but I guess you can't be certain until you test it.

Anyway it seems like our initial understanding of the skill was correct as far as the number of hits go.

In my case the only targets being involved in the carnage was the 4 listed above, The rest of the party was a safe distance away slinging spells and arrows.

So I guess we should report this so it might get fixed, do you know of any bug reporting tool or is it the forum in the technical support section?

Thanks. :)

Yes, the technical support section is the right place. They have some guidelines (pinned at the top) how to report an issue. Best to link a savegame of yours if it's available.