What You Did Today Thread

Blarghagh

I had class and ate some shrimp in a white wine sauce for dinner

Tomorrow is definitely pizza though

Also, we made a budget for the new year which is always never not unfun. The missus is starting to want a house instead of our condo but housing prices in Denver have been going up like crazy.

today is day 2 of our most recent pot roast crafting.  for liquified gelatin to be fully reabsorbed into the meat, the roast should be allowed to sit in cooking juices overnight... in fridge 'course and only after straining juices and skimming CONSIDERABLE fat.  so, today we need reheat meat, create gravy, and roast vegetables... and perhaps steam something green just for show.

hardest part o' pot roast is actual doing overnight reabsorption.  smells so darn good that we wanna eat after initial cooking is finished.  need resist urge to eat on day 1 is a special kinda torment.

HA! Good Fun!

Gromnir you have a lot a knowledge and insight  around cooking and gastronomy it seems

I love cooking, I find it therapeutic but I really enjoy cooking a nice dinner for friends and family

Who taught you about cooking or are you self-taught?  

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

too many names.  cooking is something we enjoy, so we ask people who cook to teach us.  sure, at big and fancy restaurants you will not meet chefs who will give you the time o' day much less invite you into their kitchen, but you would be surprised to discover just how often a cook is willing to share insights if you compliment and seem genuine interested to learn.  people is typical wanting to show-off if given the chance. longest we ever spent with one cook/chef were a whole week in gdansk. babka taught us so much 'bout polish food simple 'cause we complimented and asked. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

too many names.  cooking is something we enjoy, so we ask people who cook to teach us.  sure, at big and fancy restaurants you will not meet chefs who will give you the time o' day much less invite you into their kitchen, but you would be surprised to discover just how often a cook is willing to share insights if you compliment and seem genuine interested to learn.  people is typical wanting to show-off if given the chance. longest we ever spent with one cook/chef were a whole week in gdansk. babka taught us so much 'bout polish food simple 'cause we complimented and asked. 

HA! Good Fun!

Do you watch any cooking channels like the Food Network and do you have a favorite celebrity chef ?

My favorite celebrity chefs are Anthony Boudaine, I recommend his book  Kitchen Confidential,  and Nigel Slater who is a UK chef ...he is totally decadent with how he cooks, I love it 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

am recognizing bourdaine 'cause o' heavy exposure at cnn site.  never watched his show or read his books.  only 3 other chefs we could pick outta a police lineup are the following: wolfgang puck, julia child and jacques pépin.  a friend o' ours kept sending us links o' alton brown shows, and we did watch parts o' a couple episodes-- kinda entertaining and we liked his science-of-cooking approach, but when we try and picture him we get an image o' matt frewer with reading glasses.

not too much celebrity chef stuff for us but that is mostly 'cause we has such an enormous stack o' full or partial recipes and cooking tricks that we ain't yet fully experimented with that cooking shows would simple add to the backlog.  everytime we go on a trip o' more than a couple days, we is likely to pick up at least one new technique or recipe.  we got such good intentions o' trying everything we has seen, but so much memory is relegated to little tin boxes crammed full o' 3x5 cards.

HA! Good Fun!

ps as an aside, our MO is to ask for a recipe after we has experienced.  tv cooking goes kinda reverse o' our typical approach.  if tastes good, then we wanna cook it.  see food on tv or elsewhere and cook it to see if it tastes good goes against our habits... and Gromnir is nothing if not consistent.

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I cancelled my TV and landline phone service today and I'm feeling pretty good about it. This cut my Comcast bill down to a third of what I was paying before and since we really don't watch much TV and the phone was only used to buzz people into the building I don't feel like either is any loss. Now I'm looking to buy my own modem so I don't have to pay the 10 dollar rental fee either.

You are leading the charge into the modern wireless world! I've considered giving up DirectTV myself. I find I'm preferring to listen to the radio broadcasts of sports, particularly baseball while sipping good whiskey or regular iced tea from the rocking chair on my porch. Beyond sports there is nothing on TV I care about I can't catch on Hulu, Netflix, of HBO Go. And once GoT is done HBO Go will be done.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Today I prevented a future accident.  I reloaded rifle ammo and was about to put it in the case to shoot it next time on the range. Then I saw this: 

8x57sbkaputt_zpsse0tan0d.jpg

Its REALLY hard to see unless you turn it so that the crack casts a shadow like in the pic. 

That would have caused a catastrophic failure with the potential to do serious harm to the rifle and the shooters face. We're talking about pressures in the 3400 BAR / 50000 PSI range and temperatures above 1500 Celsius.

Not sure what went wrong, none of the reloading steps could have cause this, and the case has been fired only once and that was the factory load. Seems to be excessive metal fatigue. 

Anyway now I'm checking all my reloaded ammo.

The funny thing is, I checked the ammo a third time which I never do, thats when I saw the damage. 

Edited by Woldan
  • Like 2

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Woldan, be careful...

(video)

well, because shady's love o' star trek is a pure and eternal phenomenon, whenever we hear sabotage on these boards, we think star trek. go figure.

couldn't they find a kid with natural blond hair?

and 'cause beastie boys is somehow inextricably a star trek thing...

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 4

Woldan was that the only one?

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Woldan was that the only one?

Yeah, its seems so, I carefully inspected the cases of all my reloads in that caliber and found no alarming signs of metal fatigue- no rings, no bulges, no varying colors in the brass.  Of course to be 100% sure I'd have to x-ray the cases to measure the wall thickness of each individual case, lol. 

Maybe it was a factory load with overpressure or maybe for some reason the case was produced with walls way too thin to handle the pressure.  Maybe I'll send the manufacturer an e-mail, but I doubt I'd get a response. 

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Well today, a plan I had put in motion many moons ago failed. The target was too observant...

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

yesterday we had some folks we know from chicago genuine angry with us 'cause we observed that the best keilbasi/kielbasa we had eaten in the US were not from a polish place anywhere in chicago.  the suggestion that anyplace other than one o' the well-known polish shops w/i cook county could produce the bestest kielbasi offended sensibilities... sorta reminded us o' the ny v. chicago pizza thing.  

am doubting many is genuine curious, but our all-time #1 for kielbasi in USA is from https://www.facebook.com/NanticokeKielbasa/  they do ship and their prices is actual reasonable.  

HA! Good Fun!

ps if you is ever in plymouth, pa in august (why would you do such a thing?) we recommend the kielbasa festival... seriously, a festival for kielbasi. 

http://www.plymouthalive.org/kielbasafestinfo.html

You know Microsoft has been getting very pushy about upgrading to Windows 10. Very pushy considering it's free. It makes me wonder if they are up to something.

Does that make me paranoid?

Thomas Sowell

You know Microsoft has been getting very pushy about upgrading to Windows 10. Very pushy considering it's free. It makes me wonder if they are up to something.

you think self paranoid for such thoughts?  Gromnir sees eventual merger of microsoft and disney as ultimate inevitable, leading to near monopoly o' popular entertainment, tech and culture in much of west. Disnesoft, unlike illuminati, will not need hide.  a cyberpunk nightmare realized.

am only sorta kidding.

HA! Good Fun!

No but  this is actually a good strategy from Microsoft to encourage users to move to Windows 10 but it does get annoying, I'm on Windows 7 for my gaming machine and I'm happy and refuse to upgrade now 

You can disable the constant updates ..see below for steps 

1. Tap on the Windows-key on the keyboard, type programs and features, and hit enter. This opens the list of software installed on the system.
  2. Switch to "view installed updates" on the left side of the window.
  3. If you are using Windows 7, locate the following updates: 3035583, 2952664, 3021917
  4. If you are using Windows 8, locate the following updates: 3035583, 2976978
  5. Right-click one update after the other and select uninstall from the context menu.
  6. Select Restart Later when the prompt appears and remove all updates first from the system.
  7. Once done, restart the computer to complete the process.

John Milton 

On my third day of no tobacco or smoke of any kind, my various addictions have all been replaced by vaporizers.  Already feeling a bit clearer in the lungs and last night I'm almost certain I could taste my dinner  :dancing:

I've been where you are, I hope you're past the point of no return. 

All Stop. On Screen.

On my third day of no tobacco or smoke of any kind, my various addictions have all been replaced by vaporizers.  Already feeling a bit clearer in the lungs and last night I'm almost certain I could taste my dinner  :dancing:

I've been where you are, I hope you're past the point of no return. 

so, how many times have you been past the point o' no return?

HA! Good Fun!

Managed to get in an accident in a car at work. Weather turned to scrap and I still had to go out and pick people up. Following the process, don't think I'll lose my job but the cops cited me for "Failure to slow in conditions" (a non monetary ticket).

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Somehow managed to hurt my thumb, thus disabling my "Kung-Fu Grip" action for a few days. :(

Calax - hopefully there won't be any issues; I'd imagine these kind of things happen a lot.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Corporations always scare me when they become too big and influential. Nothing good for the non shareholders ever come of it.

As for Microsoft, it's a question of control. It's no secret that they've been envious of Google for many years (hands up, who checks Bing before Google when using search engines?). That's why they want to get rid of your privacy as much as they can get away with (every metric they can wring out of you about your behaviour and what you do can be sold to the right buyers). Now they seem willing to sacrifice the sale of Windows in order to get people on a platform of no return. That Windows is destined to become "Software as Service" is something I haven't been able to find any reliable sources for.

I would say no, you are not paranoid, alternatively, I'm equally paranoid. If it wasn't because the company I work for uses it on their work laptops, I wouldn't have it inside my walls at anytime.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I carried two bags of 25 pounds of basmati rice up a flight of stairs while carrying other bags of groceries. The "never take two trips" principal is upheld strongly and steadfastly.

• Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

@Calax that really sucks. Hopefully nothing comes of it. S--t happens right?

Thomas Sowell

Today I considered going back to school to get a BS in Civil Engineering. Then I remembered how stressful and expensive and how much I hated working full time and going to school at night when I did it 19 years ago.

I've found it difficult to conceal the fact that I work in a field where my education, while tenuously related, does not give me the knowledge and skills I need to do the job well sometimes. But when I consider the realities of fixing that I'd rather keep winging it.

F--k it. They hired me. They knew what I knew how to do. Not like I lied to anyone. If I screw up I figure it's their fault! :lol:

Thomas Sowell