What You Did Today Thread

Blarghagh

The Hawaiian hate is strong here.  It's pretty much a pizza staple, so I'm surprised.  I'd think it has more to do with what you were raised with though.  I'm pretty sure it's about as popular as pepperoni and olives.

what?

what?

pineapple is a pizza staple?  as popular as pepperoni?  not in the usa it ain't.  hell, not even in hawaii. where, save other than in small portions o' california, is pineapple a pizza staple? we don't particular like pepperoni, but is no way we would ever suggest that pineapple is "about as popular as pepperoni" when speaking o' pizza toppings.

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-most-popular-pizza-toppings-chart-2013-10

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/12/popular-pizza-toppings_n_4261085.html

HA! Good Fun!

Hawaiian Pizza is very common in South Africa, and its normally Ham and Pineapple

Basically every single Pizza place has it on its menu

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

the point o' sales numbers we offer is gonna be far more telling, no?  have people list their five or ten favorite pizza toppings and you is gonna start to get oddities.  'ccording to business insider link we provide, less than 2% o' us pizzas is sold with pineapple.  call that a staple is silly.

heck, corn and mayo is popular ingredients on japanese pizza. am not gonna use such to call corn and mayo staples.  "about as popular as pepperoni"? not in the usa-- not by a very significant margin. 

as an aside, we go to hawaii every year and we does frequent see spam as an ingredient in local pizzerias, though  hawaiian pizza in hawaii is considered... gauche.

HA! Good Fun!

I'd trust that business insider source more if it didn't just copy a pie-chart off a random Quora post's study that does not include multiple options. Unless I'm grossly misreading it, it counts a single primary topping per pizza sold and then "assumes" 25% of them have two toppings.

Quote: "The dataset does not include the impact of multiple options as this would produce unwieldily datasets."

EDIT: Serious, Hurl is right. There needs to be more research, nobody agrees on anything except people like meat:

original.jpg

business insider copy and pasted from quora, but so what?  *chuckle* you are posting wiki sources for chrissakes, so am not seeing much room for complaint.  the business insider does take from quora, but they specific noted the source o' the study and linked to the aforementioned quora posting that described methodology... as 'posed to your compelling polls?  a colorful pie chart included to show pineapple on par with spinach?  how is that more compelling?  is it even helping your position?

and yes, in a discussion o' staple ingredients for pizza, hurl did indicate pepperoni and olives as being on  equal footing with hawaiian.  am not sure how that helps either.

is doubtful anybody is ever gonna do a serious study on the matter.  thank goodness.  is already too many ridiculous studies that were made possible by grant monies that coulda' been used far more wisely.  we sure don't need more research on pizza toppings.  even so, hawaiian appears to be a fringe specialty pie in the US based on every source supplied in this thread.  serious. how is you reading the data?

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

The Hawaiian hate is strong here.  It's pretty much a pizza staple, so I'm surprised.  I'd think it has more to do with what you were raised with though.  I'm pretty sure it's about as popular as pepperoni and olives.

what?

what?

pineapple is a pizza staple?  as popular as pepperoni?  not in the usa it ain't.  hell, not even in hawaii. where, save other than in small portions o' california, is pineapple a pizza staple? we don't particular like pepperoni, but is no way we would ever suggest that pineapple is "about as popular as pepperoni" when speaking o' pizza toppings.

HA! Good Fun!

Hawaiian Pizza is very common in South Africa, and its normally Ham and Pineapple

I dunno, for me pretty much tomato, pepper and olives are about the only fruits that I can take on pizza, and culinarily they usually aren't treated as fruits.

Fruits on pizza like pineapple just don't taste right to me, too sweet and wrong textured.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

what?

what?

HA! Good Fun!

I dunno, for me pretty much tomato, pepper and olives are about the only fruits that I can take on pizza, and culinarily they usually aren't treated as fruits.

Fruits on pizza like pineapple just don't taste right to me, too sweet and wrong textured.

Its interesting how we have  totally different tastes for some Pizza ingredients yet we agree that others are perfectly suitable

I think in South Africa we don't really have a traditional Pizza culture so we just put anything we want on it  :dancing:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

the point o' sales numbers we offer is gonna be far more telling, no?  have people list their five or ten favorite pizza toppings and you is gonna start to get oddities.  'ccording to business insider link we provide, less than 2% o' us pizzas is sold with pineapple.  call that a staple is silly.

heck, corn and mayo is popular ingredients on japanese pizza. am not gonna use such to call corn and mayo staples.  "about as popular as pepperoni"? not in the usa-- not by a very significant margin. 

as an aside, we go to hawaii every year and we does frequent see spam as an ingredient in local pizzerias, though  hawaiian pizza in hawaii is considered... gauche.

HA! Good Fun!

I'd trust that business insider source more if it didn't just copy a pie-chart off a random Quora post's study that does not include multiple options. Unless I'm grossly misreading it, it counts a single primary topping per pizza sold and then "assumes" 25% of them have two toppings.

Quote: "The dataset does not include the impact of multiple options as this would produce unwieldily datasets."

EDIT: Serious, Hurl is right. There needs to be more research, nobody agrees on anything except people like meat:

original.jpg

business insider copy and pasted from quora, but so what?  *chuckle* you are posting wiki sources for chrissakes, so am not seeing much room for complaint.  the business insider does take from quora, but they specific noted the source o' the study and linked to the aforementioned quora posting that described methodology... as 'posed to your compelling polls?  a colorful pie chart included to show pineapple on par with spinach?  how is that more compelling?  is it even helping your position?

Pretty sure I pointed out how unreliable my sources were. Several times. I owned up to it.  shrugnz9.gif  You don't have to get salty simply because I said I don't think yours is any more reliable. But since them's fightin' woids I'll just say I'd probably take the word of Mintel over a random Quora post with questionable methodology, and to be perfectly honest I consider even Wookiepedia to be a more reliable source on real world things than Business Insider at all times and doubly so when they're just copying a little fluff piece. Kiss and make up? kiss.gif

On a side note, I've never seen a pizza with spinach. The fact that some studies claim more pizzas have spinach than pineapple boggles my tiny brain. I would have thought it was more likely to get broccoli or artichoke hearts or even mango on a pizza than spinach.

Edited by TrueNeutral

Its interesting how we have  totally different tastes for some Pizza ingredients yet we agree that others are perfectly suitable

I think in South Africa we don't really have a traditional Pizza culture so we just put anything we want on it  dancing.gif

There really isn't any wrong way to make a pizza.1

1Unless you make it with pineapple, naturally.

• Like 5

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I think in South Africa we don't really have a traditional Pizza culture so we just put anything we want on it  dancing.gif

There really isn't any wrong way to make a pizza.1

1Unless you make it with pineapple, naturally.

:lol:

John Milton 

Busy day

1) Completed repairs for the heat pump for upstairs (the fan motor needed to be replaced)

2) Finished the fed and state tax forms :biggrin:

3) Laid in emergency supplies in case we lose power over the weekend - forecast is for up to 10-12 inches of snow

4) Helped the wife make pizza for dinner - no pineapple and no anchovies....  LOL

Edited by kgambit
  • Like 1

Great. Thanks a lot everyone. Now I want pizza and I live in the sticks. So there is nowhere to go to GET pizza. Nowhere close anyway.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I feel like going to Trader Joe's and getting a tin of anchovies and a box of frozen Three (Four?) Cheese Pizza.

PS

You East Coasters be safe and keep the roads clear. I'm flying in to to DC next week.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Today I ate pizza with spinach and goat cheese on it. I As a salami-chili pizza traditionalist I wanted to hate it, but ended up loving it. Who would have guessed that spinach could belong on a  pizza?

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

I had class and ate some shrimp in a white wine sauce for dinner

Tomorrow is definitely pizza though

Also, we made a budget for the new year which is always never not unfun. The missus is starting to want a house instead of our condo but housing prices in Denver have been going up like crazy.

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

Laid in emergency supplies in case we lose power over the weekend - forecast is for up to 10-12 inches on snow

I'm sitting here waiting on the Office of Personnel Management to make the call on whether DC-area federal offices are open tomorrow or not.  The tyke's daycare has already announced that it'll be closed, so I'm not going in either way.  So this will decide mostly whether I'll have to use Leave time, and whether I should be expected to check in on my email and maybe work a bit during naptime. 

The current WaPo forecast has us in the 18-30 inch total accumulation zone, but it isn't expected to start until tomorrow afternoon (and the heavy stuff won't start coming until after dark).  I'm optimistic that we won't lose power-- service in our neighborhood has been quite consistent ever since they re-strung the lines after the 2012 derecho, and the winds should be high enough to keep tree limbs from falling due to snow-weight.  Still, you can't account for the occasional idiot driver smacking into a pole or transformer.  If we do go dark, I think we'll be OK.  Our heat, hot water, and stove all run on natural gas and have worked fine through past outages.  It'll just be a race to cook as much of the stuff in the freezer as we can. 

That said, I'm not really looking forward to a weekend snowed-in with an almost-2-year-old.  He's generally a lot of fun right now-- curious, responsive to instruction, learning new words and expressions almost daily, but hasn't yet developed much of the characteristic 2-year-old defiance.  But 3 days in the house is still going to get tiresome.  (At his age, excursions out into the snow probably aren't going to last much longer than a photo-op.)  I am continually thankful that he still sleeps 12-13 hours per day. 

Edit:  The OPM call is in, and it's stupid.  "4 hours staggered early departure" is just going to lead to a lot of resentful employees coming into the office for a half day (much of which will be spent complaining about having to be there) to avoid having to use leave or telework for the whole day, and then commuting home just as the snow starts to stick on the roads (or on public transit that will be in their midday "lower traffic expected" mode).  Lovely.  Ah well, there goes 8 hours of vacation time.

Edit2: 

. Edited by Enoch
  • Like 1

Driving to work in the snow. I hate snow.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

It's not so hard: treat every negative as a -1, then multiply. So "never" (-1) * not (1) * unfun (-1).

Outside of probably a few rare cases, it's not really accepted to put three negatives in a single clause like that, though.

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I cancelled my TV and landline phone service today and I'm feeling pretty good about it. This cut my Comcast bill down to a third of what I was paying before and since we really don't watch much TV and the phone was only used to buzz people into the building I don't feel like either is any loss. Now I'm looking to buy my own modem so I don't have to pay the 10 dollar rental fee either.

Free games updated 3/4/21

I had class and ate some shrimp in a white wine sauce for dinner

Tomorrow is definitely pizza though

Also, we made a budget for the new year which is always never not unfun. The missus is starting to want a house instead of our condo but housing prices in Denver have been going up like crazy.

today is day 2 of our most recent pot roast crafting.  for liquified gelatin to be fully reabsorbed into the meat, the roast should be allowed to sit in cooking juices overnight... in fridge 'course and only after straining juices and skimming CONSIDERABLE fat.  so, today we need reheat meat, create gravy, and roast vegetables... and perhaps steam something green just for show.

hardest part o' pot roast is actual doing overnight reabsorption.  smells so darn good that we wanna eat after initial cooking is finished.  need resist urge to eat on day 1 is a special kinda torment.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)