What You Did Today Thread

Blarghagh

But if you don't have a passion for helping others get fit, it probably isn't the right choice for you.   :shrugz:  

To be honest; I'd want to deal with semi-professionals, having a clientèle consisting of sweaty 40 year old soccer moms who want to get rid of their baby gut and senior ''athletes'' weighing in at 150kg who want to regain a fraction of their past arthritis-less glory sends shivers down my spine. And that would probably be the reality. 

For a school teacher that would be the equivalent of having to deal with pre-school classes. 

Maybe I'm too picky and arrogant for a job such as this. 

Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

It sounds like you are more interested in being an athletic trainer, which is going to require quite a bit more education.  It's kind of like being a professional athlete, it is not easy to get to that level and you will need to work your way up the ladder.  That doesn't mean you can't do it though, but I know in the US you need a 4 year degree and typically intern for a spell with some professional organization.  You are following the same path as a medical professional, basically.  

As I mentioned earlier, kinesiology.   :p

It sounds like you are more interested in being an athletic trainer, which is going to require quite a bit more education.  It's kind of like being a professional athlete, it is not easy to get to that level and you will need to work your way up the ladder.  That doesn't mean you can't do it though, but I know in the US you need a 4 year degree and typically intern for a spell with some professional organization.  You are following the same path as a medical professional, basically.  

As I mentioned earlier, kinesiology.   :p

our understanding is that after graduation, the trainer o' teh rhel athletes ordinarily works as a graduate assistant... which is kinda like an internship.  pay is poor/negligible, but one develops experience and contacts while working with the athletes from a university sports programs.  even former pro and collegiate athletes typical needs endure the GA grind, which can be brief or long depending on your abilities and connections.

'course, our knowledge o' such stuff is limited to US and is a bit outta date regardless.  

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Thinking on it a bit more, there are a few options for Woldan that would not require a lengthy education.  Personal training is broken into a few different types.

1.  Typical Gym - This is probably the easiest gig to get.  You get a job, they probably even have programs to help you get certified.  But the drawback is you train whoever walks in the door, which will include a lot of out of shape people.  I mean, that's the whole reason they need training, really.  

2.  Corporate Private Fitness - This is a big industry, most major companies offer gyms on their campuses and have trainers on hand.  This might be a better fit since it is more about helping a busy professional stay healthy.  My wife did this for a couple years, it is a good way to develop a client list and can pay well.  

3.  Independent - You need to be personable and you need to develop a client list.  You might have a start on this with your group of friends.  It's basically like running a business.  You can also look into teaching classes to drum up business.  Nice thing is you set your own hours and pick and choose clients. 

• Like 2

Feeling rather amused that I am the Sybase pro at my new job. Need to master Oracle though.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Got into an unexpected argument about burritos today when I said that I don't like rice and beans in mine. Weird looks poured in from all around but growing up in my little corner of AZ rice and beans were the sides not the insides... unless of course you were having a bean burrito. I just don't like a lot of different fillings, especially rice which is only filler.

Man, now I really want a carne seca chimichanga. Screw Chicago, I really need to head back to Tucson.

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Beans and rice are sides, for sure, like salsa or those delicious little carrot slices from taco shops. Although I always ask for refried beans inside breakfast burritos, with egg, potatoes, cheese, sour cream, avocado or guacamole ... no meat, since good bacon is hard to find, but I like how they basically put together whatever you want. 

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

Dad went to the hospital last night for weakness in his left side (my mom's words). They didn't think it was much and sent him home. Neurologist today says he just had his first stroke... not a big one but...

Sorry to hear that, yeah I hope that will be the last one. Maybe your dad could see it as wake up call to change his lifestyle?

He doesn't need much of one. As it is he runs two or three times a week, his cholestoral is better than mine and he weighs less than either me or my brother by a long shot (to be fair, since I've been cleaning cars I've gotten a lot more workout) This is just him being 65 catching up to him, but it scares me. 

Part of me wants to figure out how to get back to California at least for a weekend this spring, but there's a matter of A) money, and b) I don't know where I'll be working at what level... (I'm being fast tracked for management right now)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

chili, real chili, doesn't have beans. even so, we has managed to choke down, and enjoy, chili with beans.  true goulash don't have tomatoes.   bolognese has almost no tomatoes, if any.  somebody serves us a ragu and calls it bolognese will not trigger our inner anton ego

we have had a few burritos w/ beans that we liked very much.   is more than a few college towns that serve up cheap burrito knockoffs that are pretty darn tasty... beans and all. sure, if we want a genuine carnitas burrito and instead get some kinda glorified sandwich wrap with beans, lechuga (ack) and diced tomatoes along with a bit o' pork masquerading as carnitas, we will toss the offending "food" into the nearest trash receptacle.  that being said, in spite o' our unapologetic food snobbery, we do not hold to many food rules.  if it tastes good, we applaud.  

on the other hand, there is no excuse for putting pineapple and canadian bacon on any kinda pizza... or mayonnaise and shrimp.  not kidding.  last time we were in japan, we were with friends who ordered and ate a mayonnaise and shrimp pizza.  were like something outta a willaim s. burroughs novel.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

You should never come to northern Europe Gromnir, we're worse than the Canadians.

Like the Norwegians - French Fries and Bernaise pizza:

20130630-080135.jpg

it's the cold you see, it messes with the brain...

• Like 1

Fortune favors the bald.

Fruit as a topping and pizza doesn't go together, IMO.

That said, I like burritos with and without rice, can't say that I've ever been all that sussed about the rice.

That said I'd argue that beans are perfectly okay as insides; my understanding is that the initial burrito fillings were typically meat and refried beans.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

That said, I like burritos with and without rice, can't say that I've ever been all that sussed about the rice.

That said I'd argue that beans are perfectly okay as insides; my understanding is that the initial burrito fillings were typically meat and refried beans.

Wowzers dude no way, some fruits absolutely work on Pizza like Avo, Pineapple or Banana. Those just add to the overall taste experience 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The only acceptable pizza toppings are sausage and more sausage.

Sausage is always good...but you can enhance the taste of sausage by finding other complimentary ingredients   :geek:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

That's what the more sausage is for. When I was in college the price of a pizza included up to 5 toppings and I always got quintuple sausage. Granted, the place had 2 kinds of sausage, so technically I'd get triple of one and double of the other. It was a lot of sausage, but man was it good.

Edit: Hawaiian pizza is awful. Of course, I hate pineapple and ham, so....

Edited by Vaeliorin
  • Like 1

That's what the more sausage is for. When I was in college the price of a pizza included up to 5 toppings and I always got quintuple sausage. Granted, the place had 2 kinds of sausage, so technically I'd get triple of one and double of the other. It was a lot of sausage, but man was it good.

Edit: Hawaiian pizza is awful. Of course, I hate pineapple and ham, so....

Okay you win this one....clearly you  really like sausage to ask for 5 toppings of it...I won't try to sway you anymore  :biggrin:

John Milton 

Wowzers dude no way, some fruits absolutely work on Pizza like Avo, Pineapple or Banana. Those just add to the overall taste experience 

No.  Just no.

Hawaiian Pizza is just about the best thing ever, and it's pizza with creme sauce and pineapple. And I hate pineapple.

Also - no.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The Hawaiian hate is strong here.  It's pretty much a pizza staple, so I'm surprised.  I'd think it has more to do with what you were raised with though.  I'm pretty sure it's about as popular as pepperoni and olives.

what?

what?

pineapple is a pizza staple?  as popular as pepperoni?  not in the usa it ain't.  hell, not even in hawaii. where, save other than in small portions o' california, is pineapple a pizza staple? we don't particular like pepperoni, but is no way we would ever suggest that pineapple is "about as popular as pepperoni" when speaking o' pizza toppings.

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-most-popular-pizza-toppings-chart-2013-10

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/12/popular-pizza-toppings_n_4261085.html

HA! Good Fun!

I don't know about custom toppings but when I was a stockboy at 16 here in the Netherlands the frozen pineapple pizza consistently outsold any other kind of frozen pizza by a massive margin. Outside of that, Wikipedia states on Hawaiian Pizza: "It is the most popular pizza in Australia, accounting for 15% of pizza sales."

Couldn't find anything about anything else, but as far as I know Pineapple IS a pizza staple worldwide and since Hurl is from the US I'd say there too.

EDIT: A pizza history fansite claims: http://www.pizzabusiness.altervista.org/the-history-of-pizza.html

"Hawaiian pizza has ham and pineapple toppings and is especially popular in the Western United States. Ham and pineapple is also a popular topping combination in Australia, Canada and Sweden, but notably not in Hawaii. This type is also common within the EU as Pizza Hawaii. "

Market Research claims: http://www.mintel.com/blog/food-market-news/americas-favorite-pizza-toppings-top-ten-preferences

"According to Mintel’s latest Pizza Restaurant research in the US, more than half of consumers say that they usually order pepperoni (65%), sausage (54%), or mushroom (51%). This is followed by: extra cheese (45%), onion (39%), green pepper (37%), olive (34%), bacon (31%), ham (29%) and pineapple (21%)."

I don't know how accurate those sources are, but seems legit to me.

Edited by TrueNeutral

the point o' sales numbers we offer is gonna be far more telling, no?  have people list their five or ten favorite pizza toppings and you is gonna start to get oddities.  'ccording to business insider link we provide, less than 2% o' us pizzas is sold with pineapple.  call that a staple is silly.

heck, corn and mayo is popular ingredients on japanese pizza. am not gonna use such to call corn and mayo staples.  "about as popular as pepperoni"? not in the usa-- not by a very significant margin. 

as an aside, we go to hawaii every year and we does frequent see spam as an ingredient in local pizzerias, though  hawaiian pizza in hawaii is considered... gauche.

HA! Good Fun!

I wouldn't put pineapple next to pepperoni as a staple, but I would say it can hold its own against things like olives.

edit:  I specifically said Hawaiian is up there with Pepperoni AND OLIVES.  

Clearly we need a serious analysis of these conflicting sales numbers!   :geek:

Edited by Hurlshot

the point o' sales numbers we offer is gonna be far more telling, no?  have people list their five or ten favorite pizza toppings and you is gonna start to get oddities.  'ccording to business insider link we provide, less than 2% o' us pizzas is sold with pineapple.  call that a staple is silly.

heck, corn and mayo is popular ingredients on japanese pizza. am not gonna use such to call corn and mayo staples.  "about as popular as pepperoni"? not in the usa-- not by a very significant margin. 

as an aside, we go to hawaii every year and we does frequent see spam as an ingredient in local pizzerias, though  hawaiian pizza in hawaii is considered... gauche.

HA! Good Fun!

I'd trust that business insider source more if it didn't just copy a pie-chart off a random Quora post's study that does not include multiple options. Unless I'm grossly misreading it, it counts a single primary topping per pizza sold and then "assumes" 25% of them have two toppings.

Quote: "The dataset does not include the impact of multiple options as this would produce unwieldily datasets."

EDIT: Serious, Hurl is right. There needs to be more research, nobody agrees on anything except people like meat:

original.jpg

Edited by TrueNeutral