What You Did Today Thread

Blarghagh

For the past 6 days or so I've been trying to re-install Gran Turismo 6 on my PS3. With the 21(!) updates thats 51 GB's, I downloaded that with the super slow PS network connection that gives me 1.3mb/s. I tried that 5 times already, for each error message I find a workaround I get two more. I'm a very patient man but enough is enough, today I'm going to try to sell it to friends, if nobody wants it I'll bring it to the shooting range give it a reason not to work. 

• Like 1

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Today my tire pressure light went on. I had it happen about a week ago, and I knew my tires were getting bald and the alignment was a bit off, so I figured it was time to go to the shop. At first the guy quoted me $650, but then the owner came over and talked in his ear a bit. It pays to be a regular, they dropped it to $400 for tires and alignment.

Still, I have paid about $1500 in auto maintenance costs this month across my two cars and rv. :(

Tonight at 3 in the morning I went out for a walk to make some winter-esque photos of the night sky. That was surprisingly brutal, 1 hour at  -21 degrees / -4F and I barely walked to keep me warm, plus I almost never wore my gloves because I needed my hands to manipulate the small buttons on my camera all the time. My fingers were on fire. 

I feel like a whimp. 

It's been like -15F (-26C) here...-35F (-37C) with windchill. Not pleasant at all.

(e): Actually, that makes me think: I'd rather have -25F, even -30F straight up vs -10F with like 15 degrees' worth of windchill: I don't think the current calculation is accurate at all, and strong winds should cause much worse windchill temperatures. But that's just me.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Burying our bunny. Who just died. He was fine yesterday, suffocated from lung infection today. Bloody yay. Vet assures me that our rats can't contract the same infection, but somehow it doesn't make me less nervous.

Edited by Fenixp

Burying our bunny. Who just died. He was fine yesterday, suffocated from lung infection today. Bloody yay. Vet assures me that our rats can't contract the same infection, but somehow it doesn't make me less nervous.

Sorry to hear that. Hope your rats will be alright!

Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence.

Had an interesting experience yesterday, eating scotch eggs for breakfast.

I love to heat them in the microwave for a few minutes and then have it with some spicy sauce.

Well, yesterday was a bit different... poking the thing with my fork, it exploded like a hand grenade, sending egg "shrapnel" in all directions. I probably sat for all of 5 seconds, staring at my now empty plate in stunned disbelief. The noise was quite impressive too, sounding like an exploding light bulb. Then i couldn't help burst out laughing at the absurdity of it, while slowly starting to gather some towels, water and soap. Today i still find "debris" from yesterday, clinging to the underside of cupboards, the ceiling, the far wall etc.

Talk about surprising food =]

• Like 6

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I bought some microwave egg cups a while back. Supposedly it's an easy way to cook and egg. In reality, it's an easy way to turn your egg into a projectile weapon.

No TN..you  must NEVER try short-circuit the important culinary ritual of cooking eggs. You just do it, you stand over the stove and just cook those eggs  :dancing:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Dad went to the hospital last night for weakness in his left side (my mom's words). They didn't think it was much and sent him home. Neurologist today says he just had his first stroke... not a big one but...

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Dad went to the hospital last night for weakness in his left side (my mom's words). They didn't think it was much and sent him home. Neurologist today says he just had his first stroke... not a big one but...

Let's hope that was his first and last one then! You can tell him a dude on the interwebz wishes him best of luck.

Just had a match in Smash 4 on for glory.

His profile name was "Trump4Prez".

He played as Sonic.

He actually managed to beat me.

After the match he changed his name to, "Make".

Followed by, "SpinDash".

Then finally to, "GreatAgain".

Was pretty funny.

Edited by Namutree

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Feel like quitting my job, what I do makes so little sense and I have to work exceptionally hard for the cash. Thinking about getting some official education on the field of fitness and health maybe become a personal trainer of some sort. Not a dream job but I think it would be relatively easy for me, I'm essentially already supervising my friends for free. I remember those trainers in gyms I used to visit as a teen, and boy, what they can do I can do much better with one half of my brain shut down.

Radical change is so hard though.

Sorry to hear that, yeah I hope that will be the last one. Maybe your dad could see it as wake up call to change his lifestyle? Edited by Woldan

Feel like quitting my job, what I do makes so little sense and I have to work exceptionally hard for the cash. Thinking about getting some official education on the field of fitness and health maybe become a personal trainer of some sort. Not a dream job but I think it would be relatively easy for me, I'm essentially already supervising my friends for free. 

Radical change is so hard though.

Sorry to hear that, yeah I hope that will be the last one. Maybe your dad could see it as wake up call to change his lifestyle?

I don't understand why you see this as "radical " change?

You should have been a personal trainer years ago, you seem passionate about it and I think you would be very good because you are sincere and committed

I know lots of personal trainers, its a very good career to have on many levels  and can be very financially rewarding. 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I don't understand why you see this as "radical " change?

I dunno, I'm not lazy but lately every tiny little change feels so big I immediately lose interest in even trying, let alone something more major like changing jobs.

Not sure why.  :wacko:

Edited by Woldan

Let's hope that was his first and last one then! You can tell him a dude on the interwebz wishes him best of luck.

Indeed, best of luck and hope for no more; hopefully also not any hidden / unseen as yet problems arising from it.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Sorry to hear about your dad, Calax.  :(

Woldan I think you should go for it.  Why waste your time with a job you don't have a passion for?  I'm not sure what is required in Austria, but in the US they have some pretty basic certification classes that can set you on the road.  Good luck.

Sorry to hear about your dad, Calax.   :(

Woldan I think you should go for it.  Why waste your time with a job you don't have a passion for?  I'm not sure what is required in Austria, but in the US they have some pretty basic certification classes that can set you on the road.  Good luck.

I don't have a passion for teaching other people how to do sports either, its just that it would be a lot easier for me than what I'm doing right now. I greatly differentiate between doing stuff to get money and doing what I actually want to do (unless the job is really dreadful and senseless and the negativity starts to bleed into my private time)

I'm not one of those guys who seek self actualization in their job or become their job. 

As for the required education, there are courses that cost about 1500 bucks or so with a total of 86 or so hours worth of units. I informed myself about the content of those classes and - I really don't want to boast-  I already know all of it and much, much more. Ironically it really seems like it would make me go way back to the basics where I started 10 years ago. Oh nostalgia! 

But I'd need that certificate - thats how education works I guess. 

Edited by Woldan

^Is there no way to demonstrate competency in some/all of the courses without taking the course work through some form of "Prior Learning Assessment"?

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

^Is there no way to demonstrate competency in some/all of the courses without taking the course work through some form of "Prior Learning Assessment"?

It appears most lessons are mandatory for the certificate - makes sense, each lesson costs money and the want it all. 

As an educator, we are constantly dealing with professional development.  Sure, as someone who has taught for over a decade and taken years of classes, it can get mind numbing.  But every once in awhile it helps me look at something from a different perspective, or it gives me a bit of energy towards trying something new.  The key is to use your experience to filter out the garbage, but keep an open enough mind to catch anything you may be missing.  86 hours is not a whole lot for a new career, after all.  Given the physical nature of personal training, I'd say that is a fair requirement.  My wife has a degree in kinesiology, and it cost a lot more in both time and money to get that thing.  

But if you don't have a passion for helping others get fit, it probably isn't the right choice for you.   :shrugz: