What You Did Today Thread

Blarghagh

Man, that sucks: I'm deathly afraid of getting just my wisdom teeth pulled...and I'm lucky enough that my jaw may be just big enough that I don't have to. Cutting it close, but my dentist said I should be able to get away with it, at least for the time being. Hope that gets better, TrueNeutral, :(

Barti when you do get  your wisdom teeth removed you will almost immediately feel more stupid, start reading something like the Encyclopedia Britannica or maybe watch something like CNN for days to help with the recovery of what you lost   :yes:  :yes:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I got one removed, it was super easy. Local anesthesia, then the doc used a pick, jammed it into the tooth and broke it into three pieces which he then pulled out. Then when he stopped the bleeding I could go home. The whole thing took like 5 minutes. No problem whatsoever.

My family appears to have resistance to the painkillers used for dental work, as we need significantly more than normal to be numbed, and we need it applied much more frequently in order to stay numb. The general anesthesia used to put a person to "sleep" for more extreme procedures also does not work on us, as one of my poor sisters discovered when she had her wisdom teeth removed...and as we heard in her secret recording of herself that she took with her phone, as she screamed bloody murder the entire time while the tooth surgeon or whatever kept telling her to stop it and that she was perfectly fine...but she was definitely not fine in the slightest. Most dentists don't appear to believe you when you say you can still feel stuff: I was lucky in that I was initially fine for a procedure I was undergoing, until I was suddenly not...and in fact, random parts of my mouth that were supposed to be numb were actually not numb at all to begin with. I was also lucky in that the dentist I had actually cared about my well-being, and decided to experiment and verify that the painkillers were not working as they should, which we then worked around and knew for the future. Regardless, I don't feel too comfortable undergoing surgery if I can avoid it.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Maybe you should switch the dentist. I used to go to a dentist that used anesthetics that did not work well on me. He needed twice the dosage, it numbed the pain only for a couple of minutes and half an hour later my tongue got big and hurt like I licked a flat iron.

Also, according to my experience, some dentists are unable to locate the nerve with the needle, and then the the pain is only partially numbed.

With a good dentist none of those problems should exist. Now I have a doc who can locate and hit the nerve like a sniper, the pain is completely numbed and he works fast and clean.

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

My immediate family has probably had a combined total of like 7-8 dentists over the years. If none of them can do it right, I'm not even sure what the point of looking for another would be, :p. Current dentist is the only one that's actually believed and tried to work around it, so...

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Sometimes the local anesthetic doesn't work well if the area is infected, thankfully that wasn't the case this time despite a massive infection (it moved to my nose which I had surgery on last month, so I've been on antibiotics for the past week too). The extraction wasn't painful, it's just the after pains that are annoying me something fierce. For things like wisdom teeth you generally get some prescription painkillers but now I'm having to make do with ibuprofen, which isn't very effective.

Much better than the time the anesthetic didn't take and they performed root canal. Worst pain of my life. I don't envy you if anesthesia doesn't work for you at all.

Yeah, that sounds terrible. All this terrible talk about this is just making me want to keep my wisdom teeth even harder...and to brush and floss them like crazy to try and make sure nothing ever goes wrong with them. :p

That doesn't sound horrible.

Same with mine. Had them out...15 years ago. Huh. Sad to hear Alan Rickman died

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Had all of my wisdom teeth out at the same time.  Woke up and the dental surgeon was like: "Hey how are you doing?"

Me: "Grbrlmfff okay i gueff..."

Dental Surgeon: "Great!  Would you mind going back to sleep?  We're not quite finished yet."

:p

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I always hear people say they got all wisdom teeth done at the same time, when the dental surgeon they sent me to specified that nobody should do that because it causes too much pain and discomfort. I got the two on the right done, then two weeks later the two on the left. It was also done under local.

I didn't really have any issues with it.  I was on pain medication for a couple of days, didn't develop dry socket which would be the real pain problem and *bam* right as rain.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

This was some time ago, I seem to recall being on one strong pain medication the first day, a second lighter pain medication the second that I weaned myself off of.

However I had foot surgery around the same time and I may be remembering that.  Dunno.

Much better than the time the anesthetic didn't take and they performed root canal. Worst pain of my life. I don't envy you if anesthesia doesn't work for you at all.

In my teens had three root canal treatments without working anesthetic. Imagine someone jamming barbed needles into your nerve, twisting and turning them and pulling out your nerve piece by piece. That was quite an experience, I think thats when I reached my pain limit, the max amount of pain you can feel. Breaking my elbow and jumping on a broken bottle is laughable compared to that. Edited by Woldan

I gazed at the dead, and for one dark moment I saw a banquet. 

Man, I guess I was lucky. I had all 4 wisdom teeth out at once when I was a teenager, and was eating roast beef the next day (it was my sister's birthday, and no way was I going to miss it...my mom only cooked that maybe 3-4 times a year.)

The worst pain I've ever felt was when my idiot doctor did the wrong surgery on my toe (of course he couldn't send me to a podiatrist, he'd not get paid as much then!) The injections in my toe to numb it hurt so bad that I pretty much instantly developed a fear of needles. Since he was an idiot, the surgery didn't even solve the problem (I got really bad ingrown toenails in my big toes, and the one the doctor operated on he just cut the entire nail off, leaving me with a toenail that grows all messed up, and a couple months of horrible pain should anything touch the nailbed.)

When it came back, I went to a podiatrist (who happened to be my next door neighbor) and he just cut the sides of the nail off and did something to keep then from growing back. I ended up having to have it done to both big toes, and the one that just the podiatrist worked on looks absolutely normal.

Edited by Vaeliorin

In my teens had three root canal treatments without working anesthetic. Imagine someone jamming barbed needles into your nerve, twisting and turning them and pulling out your nerve piece by piece. That was quite an experience, I think thats when I reached my pain limit, the max amount of pain you can feel. Breaking my elbow and jumping on a broken bottle is laughable compared to that.

Yeah, that's exactly how it felt for me too. I've never felt anything else that came close, including the one time I was kicked in the nards.

Was supposed to be going to Chicago next week for work but it got postponed until further notice. Sucks because next week is really the only week that works with my schedule because the following week I'll be back in class twice a week. I just hope they don't try to send me out of town on my wife's birthday for the 4th year in a row.

HBD KP!

Some new news on the back to Chicago front. 

End of the day to(Fri)day I get an email telling me to book passage for Tuesday morn of next week. It's the first week of school but at least it's not on my wife's birthday but now that I've typed that I'm sure they'll want to send me somewhere else come the second week of March. A coworker is trying to get it pushed back a week or two but either way I miss a week of classes it just comes down to which week

Free games updated 3/4/21

You are going to Chicago now? It's January. There ought to be a law against that, Not that it's warm where you are now. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

In other news I saw Dan Haggerty passed away today. For those who grew up in the 70's you might remember him as Grizzly Adams. But beyond acting he was also an animal handler and a big conservationist.  RIP Dan.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

In other news I saw Dan Haggerty passed away today. For those who grew up in the 70's you might remember him as Grizzly Adams. But beyond acting he was also an animal handler and a big conservationist.  RIP Dan.

I would go outside after watching that show and put up my forearm just like Grizzly as a perch for the eagles to land, but, the seagulls and robins just ignored me.

Greatest beard ever, rest in peace Dan.  

• Like 3

All Stop. On Screen.

I once had a deep filling without anaesthetic, that was...a mistake.  I've got one wisdom tooth left that I'm hanging on to as it's still useful for chewing and does'y cause much grief.  Most of my teeth have fillings though, got a couple of crowns too.  Over the years my teeth have caused me a lot of pain, the sort of pain that ages you, I deeply regret not looking after them when I was a nipper  :geek: