Movies You've Seen Recently Thread

Blarghagh

I predict he will land in a wheelbarrow of hay.   :wowey:

But at what cost?

Is this why fate brought us together?

So...it has come to this.

• Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

You guys are way to too nice about the trailer music. It made me want to go DEUS VULT on the guy who made that decision.

As for the trailer without sound, meh, ok i guess.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Be that as it may, may it be as it may be.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

You guys are way to too nice about the trailer music. It made want to go DEUS VULT on the guy who made that decision.

As for the trailer without sound, meh, ok i guess.

In this economy?

Ok, I'll stop now.

But that was actually funny. In a grandpappy by the couch kinda way.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

That does look surprisingly good. I mean, I'm sure they will find a way to muck it up, but who knows?

I'm going to make a totally indefensible snap-judgment but I think that any movie that starts with a deathrow convict being abducted for science is off to a terrible start. It's a lazy plot device and it shows a lack of imagination from the creators. Why is the animus some big contraption? They could have just kept it a chair and saved a ****load of money for the bits of the film that are interesting. And why oh why do they have the character making a leap of faith? That's one of the most ridiculous things in the series, he'd better not be landing into a wheelbarrow of hay. The whole thing feels off to me, I predict it's going to be rubbish.

Someone on Reddit suggested the animus may be like that as a VR type thing. So while he is reliving the memories he is acting out the actions as well.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Someone on Reddit suggested the animus may be like that as a VR type thing. So while he is reliving the memories he is acting out the actions as well.

Yeah it seems almost certain this is the case.

Hurlshot, Nothing about the animus makes sense. It's meant to artificially create muscle memory (as well as skills, knowledge ect.) by reliving your ninja grampa's life experiences although I'm pretty sure your body would need time to adjust to that **** without causing injury, which would become serious injury because the animus is forcing you to carry on performing all these extreme acrobatic yoga moves. It doesn't matter because it's a film, suspension of disbelief and all that, I'm just saying that the Avatar chair is just as easy for audiences to accept and a heck of a lot cheaper to implement. It seems like a waste of time and money, money they could be using to buy more hay with. Gunna need a lot of it for that leap of faith to look even half-way plausible. 

Edited by Serrano
  • Like 1

Re-watched "Eyes Wide Shut" earlier. Probably Kubrick's best film in my mind. Anyways, one thing struck me: a musical piece which figures several times in the movie is the 7th movement from Shostakovich's "Suite for Variety Orchestra", the second waltz in that suite.

Now, another waltz composed by a Soviet composer is the one from Khachaturian's music for the play "Masquerade", which is played when the main character is at a masquerade ball. He is there with his friend, and unbeknownst to him his wife is also there. His friend hits on a woman, and she gives her a bracelet of hers, which the main character later finds missing from his wife - however, again unbeknownst to him it was stolen from her during the ball. The play explores themes of real vs. believed infidelity, just like Eyes Wide Shut. Additionally, the play was also originally censored for depicting in a negative light the masquerade balls held by the rich and powerful in Russia at the time. IMO Khachaturian's piece would have been a much better fit for the movie, but maybe I'm also partial since it's a personal favourite of mine.

• Like 1

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Watched Predators. Wasn't as awful as I expected, really - I had thought it'd be some AvP level of crap.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Musta been the female lead. 

That's why the Rush Hour series failed. It was the female leads.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

10 Cloverfield Lane. From the trailer, I suspected it was going to be a copy of the Metal Hurlant episode Shelter Me . It was very similar and I'd have to say the Metal Hurlant episode is far superior in every way imo.

Similar ending to Shelter Me with the end of the world, but I don't recall there were aliens. It was a nuclear attack. And the ending was far superior.

The ending in Cloverfield was changed from the original and it came across as silly with her fighting aliens. She singlehandedly kills the small space ship with a Molotov? c'mon!