Movies You've Seen Recently Thread

Blarghagh

The entire movie kinda sucked from beginning to end. From the moment he picked up that hand thing to beat that kid's face in down on Earth (or whatever), to the super weirdness of finding the Queen at the very end, the movie's tone was helter-skelter and it was paced so unevenly. Ender was supposed to spend years training with the other children - instead it's just a few weeks in the movie. There's no sense of...anything concrete in the movie - no sense that Ender is a good tactician, or that he's a good leader, or that he's mature in any substantial way beyond "I can make serious faces and talk in a normal tone of voice like an adult", or that he's earned the trust of his subcommanders. The entire movie's just a big waste.

Which I kind of figured it would be as soon as soon as it was announced - it's oh so difficult to have good child actors, and you need simply brilliant ones if they're going to try to carry a film like this all by themselves...and you need actually good writers and screenplayers. They didn't seem to have any of these elements, much less all.

On the bright side it introduced a lot of people to the Ender books, myself included - but yeah, I wish most screen writers were simply better at understanding what actually works on the screen. You can convey progression much more intuitively on film, as we can 'digest' visual clues a lot faster than written words - it's like they don't understand the medium they are writing for, you can't have the slow paced story of a book, played out over a few independent scenes, the whole causality becomes disjointed and you ruin the flow. 

But showing Ender spend years, growing up and earning respect could have been done with a 5 minute properly made montage..

Fortune favors the bald.

Yeah, a montage of him winning the battles and other teams adopting his tactics before they reassign all his squadmembers to lead other armies would have been good.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Cap 3. Spider-Man, best so far. Black Panther, fantastic. Crossbones, wasted. GIANT MAN. GIANT MAN. I can't swear, otherwise I would. Goddamned Giant Man. Movie was worth it for Spidey and Giant Man alone.

• Like 1

Devastatorsig.jpg

Civil War was not outright terrible like the previous Avengers movie, and I had a decent enough time...but as far as blockbuster spectacles go...I preferred Supes v Bats, The Force Awakens, and especially Fury Road far more.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I watched Chappie on HBO last night. It was pretty good. The south African movie business has been churning out some decent work lately. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Really enjoyed Civil War. They really did good at making the story work. Good stuff.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

A bunch of old movies were on this morning on some random channel, and I didn't have much to do. I watched Invasion of the Bodysnatchers, We're No Angels, and the African Queen. The latter two star Humphrey Bogart (and the African Queen also has Audrey Hepburn). We're No Angels was easily the best and pretty genuinely decent, while Invasion of the Bodysnatchers was also O.K., I guess. The African Queen was just kinda dull and boring, though...

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Katherine Hepburn is in AFRICAN QUEEN, not Audrey. I think ones connection to the film is dependant on whether you like Bogart & Hepburn bickering with one another. I too find it dull even if I recognize good performances from both leads.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

"The Sacrifice" (1986) by Tarkovsky

The camera-work was sublime, like old paintings and motifs come to life. The sound and the acting was tremendous as well. The story and theme is probably the simplest of all of his movies, which is probably why it is considered his "weakest" movie.

Highly recommended though, i mean just look at this and awe:

4532_1.jpg

02-Sacrifice_600.jpg

10135239.0.jpg

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Katherine Hepburn is in AFRICAN QUEEN, not Audrey. I think ones connection to the film is dependant on whether you like Bogart & Hepburn bickering with one another. I too find it dull even if I recognize good performances from both leads.

That makes a lot more sense, because she didn't look quite like herself (Audrey), and well, she looked a little too old based on the year of the movie. Which makes sense, because Katharine was 44 when the African Queen came out, while Audrey would've been just 22! Must've read the names too fast. I like Bogart, unsure about Katharine, but the combination of them here, well...it wasn't the greatest. On a side-note, why can't I hit enter? It just makes a space instead...

testing

testing

testing

Oh, neat: BBCode is just broken now, apparently. How swell!

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

If you enjoy some of the back and forth dialogue that's more witty than the argumentative Hepburn/Bogart style, you might give The Philadelphia Story a spin. That's Katherine Hepburn again, but bouncing around with the like of Cary Grant and Jimmy Stewart

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Captain America: Civil War

Every movie in this series has been better than the one before it. Black Panther, Antman, and Spiderman were all awesome.

• Like 1

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Went on a Spaghetti Westerns kick and rewatched the Dollars trilogy. I love me some antiheroes in Westerns.

Have you seen the original Django film by Sergio Corbucci with Franco Nero?  I think it holds up really well.

Went on a Spaghetti Westerns kick and rewatched the Dollars trilogy. I love me some antiheroes in Westerns.

Have you seen the original Django film by Sergio Corbucci with Franco Nero? I think it holds up really well.

Not yet, but it's been on my bucket list for awhile.

Every movie in this series has been better than the one before it. Black Panther, Antman, and Spiderman were all awesome.

I liked the movie a lot too, but was slightly disappointed Zemo didn't wear his suit.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

I liked the movie a lot too, but was slightly disappointed Zemo didn't wear his suit.

At least they didn't kill him. He is supposedly going to play a big part in future movies too. So hopefully we get the Masters of Evil or Thunderbolts

Devastatorsig.jpg

What is it with these people and their bad trailer music.

(Then again, I'll guess it could be worse.. could be M83 again).

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

That does look surprisingly good.  I mean, I'm sure they will find a way to muck it up, but who knows?

I'm going to make a totally indefensible snap-judgment but I think that any movie that starts with a deathrow convict being abducted for science is off to a terrible start. It's a lazy plot device and it shows a lack of imagination from the creators. Why is the animus some big contraption? They could have just kept it a chair and saved a ****load of money for the bits of the film that are interesting. And why oh why do they have the character making a leap of faith? That's one of the most ridiculous things in the series, he'd better not be landing into a wheelbarrow of hay. The whole thing feels off to me, I predict it's going to be rubbish.