Movies You've Seen Recently Thread

Blarghagh

That newest Dreed is overrated. It was meh. The first with Stallone was better even if it wasn't as grimdark.

No.

• Like 6

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I actually don't dislike Rob in JUDGE DREDD.  There's actually a lot that works there, but it lacked focus because they tried to jam too many stories into one movie - rebuilt ABC Robot rampage, Dredd/Rico/clones, Exile to the Cursed Earth, the Angel Family.  But anyhow Schneider serves as a voice for the audience who doesn't get a lot of what's going on, but can ask the questions the audience might have and do so in a way to elicit a chuckle.

DREDD though is a tighter story with laser focus.  It does lack the previous films budget to realize MegaCity 1 though.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I actually don't dislike Rob in JUDGE DREDD.  There's actually a lot that works there, but it lacked focus because they tried to jam too many stories into one movie - rebuilt ABC Robot rampage, Dredd/Rico/clones, Exile to the Cursed Earth, the Angel Family.  But anyhow Schneider serves as a voice for the audience who doesn't get a lot of what's going on, but can ask the questions the audience might have and do so in a way to elicit a chuckle.

DREDD though is a tighter story with laser focus.  It does lack the previous films budget to realize MegaCity 1 though.

we liked dredd, but the titular character works much better in comic books than he does in film.  have an actor do dredd for +90 minutes?  can't be easy.  is a kewl character, but if you want character development in a dredd movie/show, it is gonna need come from the villains and from other judges.  perhaps make a dredd kinda like the 1982 conan? arnold got a couple o' unforgettable scenes in conan, but his job were to be tough for +90 minutes... let james earl jones, max von sydow and even mako do the heavy lifting.  am knowing it sounds odd, but am thinking you need to take considerable focus off of dredd to make a dredd show or movie work.  dredd is more a function o' setting than actual character.  he... is.

as to the budget, we didn't mind dredd's dirty, ultraviolent, dystopia filmed almost entirely within a single grimy urban housing development. kinda reminded us o' the raid: redemption.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

The Stallone version of Dredd was great at bringing the wacky, comic plus version to the big screen. But did get lost in the morass and weirdness without really having it gel together completely.

The recent Dredd was much more precise, self-contained and focused on the more realistic view and was pretty much on-point in a kind of "day in the life" along with the introduction of the characters of Dredd and Anderson.

I'd say part of the issue is that in most movies you expect there to be some form of heroic journey and character evolution. Dredd is pretty much the antithesis of that. He doesn't change, that's part of who he is. It's his superpower. The only change he goes through is from "she failed the grade so why is she here?" to "she passed."

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

we liked dredd, but the titular character works much better in comic books than he does in film.  have an actor do dredd for +90 minutes?  can't be easy.  is a kewl character, but if you want character development in a dredd movie/show, it is gonna need come from the villains and from other judges.  perhaps make a dredd kinda like the 1982 conan? arnold got a couple o' unforgettable scenes in conan, but his job were to be tough for +90 minutes... let james earl jones, max von sydow and even mako do the heavy lifting.  am knowing it sounds odd, but am thinking you need to take considerable focus off of dredd to make a dredd show or movie work.  dredd is more a function o' setting than actual character.  he... is.

as to the budget, we didn't mind dredd's dirty, ultraviolent, dystopia filmed almost entirely within a single grimy urban housing development. kinda reminded us o' the raid: redemption.

HA! Good Fun!

I think that's the reason both films got POV characters (Fergee and Hershey in the first, Anderson in the second) - Dredd doesn't change.

I liked the urban housing, but when you looked at the exteriors they couldn't really match what JUDGE DREDD did on a bigger budget (not that it ultimately mattered to the movie itself).

It rarely bothers me with anime adaptations because everyone in anime looks western. I know they're not supposed to be western, but they look it. Goku doesn't look Japanese. Now when the Avatar movie made all the ambiguously dark skinned good guys white and the ambiguously light skinned bad guys dark colored, that bothered me.

I am kind of late to the party, but ironically the original GITS by Shirow actually portrayed Asians as Asians. You could tell a Chinese from a Japanese in that, that's how much attention to detail there was. Not to mention the main character's name is Kusanagi. 

anyway, it was just a long-winded way to say Johansson looks terrible in that picture

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I am contractually obligated to watch Episode IV on May 4th, although I mixed it up this year, counting recurring themes.

John Williams' musical 'Force Theme' occurs ten times in Episode VII ... nineteen times during the original. TIE fighter screen wipes, two each, IV and VII. Mention of the word, 'scum' ... once, both films (scum and villainy, scavenger scum). Finn, also known as Stormtrooper FN-2187 ... shares the same number as Princess Leia's cell aboard the Death Star: 2187. 

All Stop. On Screen.

Fantastic Four, the newer one. It actually wasn't that bad. Doom was crap. Like literally, he looked like a green humanoid poop, but the rest of it wasn't that bad. A tad dark for the FF IMO, but up until the accident it actually was decent. Black Johnny Storm wasn't nearly as good as Chris Evans. Like not even close, but Miles Teller and Kate Mara were pretty good. I really don't think it deserved the hate it got.

Give it back to Marvel though, I at least have faith they can get Doom right.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

The Ender's Game director felt Ender was unlikeable so he didn't want to have any scenes he wasn't in for fear audiences would disconnect from him. This ended up cutting a lot of world building and interesting characters, so IMO it was a huge mistake.

And those Power Rangers outfits are much better than the Rita costume.

Devastatorsig.jpg

When the random bit of silly internet news catches your eye and you read "The Craft - celebrating its 20th Anniversary, where the cast is now, and looking at the upcoming remake...."

Damn it, I don't feel old now. Really.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

This is the third time I've seen Marvel tell the Civil War story. And it's the first time I've actually thought it was good.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

The Ender's Game director felt Ender was unlikeable so he didn't want to have any scenes he wasn't in for fear audiences would disconnect from him. This ended up cutting a lot of world building and interesting characters, so IMO it was a huge mistake.

Yeah, and in the process, the director make Ender unlikable. Brilliant. :p

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Yeah, and in the process, the director make Ender unlikable. Brilliant. :p

I felt like one of the big mistakes was making the big space battle at the end so realistic. It needed to look more like a simulation. I always pictured it when I read the book as kind of like a digital version of the map/miniature war table you see in period movies. Making it look so realistic took a lot of the sting out of the revelation that he had been commanding actual ships and it wasn't a simulation.

I feel like it would have been better served as a miniseries. They rushed through battle school too quickly, and his relationships and the respect he earned from his peers didn't get enough attention. A miniseries could also integrate aspects of Ender's Shadow as well.

• Like 1

Devastatorsig.jpg

The entire movie kinda sucked from beginning to end. From the moment he picked up that hand thing to beat that kid's face in down on Earth (or whatever), to the super weirdness of finding the Queen at the very end, the movie's tone was helter-skelter and it was paced so unevenly. Ender was supposed to spend years training with the other children - instead it's just a few weeks in the movie. There's no sense of...anything concrete in the movie - no sense that Ender is a good tactician, or that he's a good leader, or that he's mature in any substantial way beyond "I can make serious faces and talk in a normal tone of voice like an adult", or that he's earned the trust of his subcommanders. The entire movie's just a big waste.

Which I kind of figured it would be as soon as soon as it was announced - it's oh so difficult to have good child actors, and you need simply brilliant ones if they're going to try to carry a film like this all by themselves...and you need actually good writers and screenplayers. They didn't seem to have any of these elements, much less all.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I actually liked Asa Butterfield, and the stuff they did I enjoyed, I just felt like it needed to be a half hour longer at least, to flesh things out. It was less than 2 hour long.

• Like 1

Devastatorsig.jpg