Non-tank Priest/Pally build with high Resolve?

I finally picked up Pillars of Eternity when it was on sale on Amazon and I haven't quite settled on the perfect class for me yet. I've played through the early game on a few different classes so I have a feel for the pace/flow of the game.

From what I've seen in-game and online religion/gods play a big part in the story so a priest/paladin seems to make a lot of sense. I am leaning paladin since everyone seems to really like Durance. I'd also rather not be a pure tank so I am not redundant with Eder. I did try the Anvil of Dawn build (pure tank I know) off the popular Steam guide and being completely worthless offensively wasn't very fun. Really my only requirements for a build are decent damage with high resolve and intellect. I'm playing on normal so I don't need a hugely optimized build. Any suggestions? 

The steam guide is over-minmaxed even for Path of the Damned.

Also, if you want a paladin for the link to the gods, you may and up regreting it, since paladins in Eora are just knightly orders bound by similar philosophies, and none of the available orders are linked to the gods. On the other side, you can never have too much priests, and Durance is as hated as he is loved, not universaly liked like you think.

If you want an offensive paladin build, try an Island Aumana Kind Wayfarer with Quick Switch, a greatsword and two arquebuses, with balanced stats leaving Con and Dex at 10, leaving Per and Res at 15 or 14 and dividing the rest between Int and Mig.

Ps: Éder makes a decent offtank Damage Dealer, having another tanky character does not make him redundant. Especialy considering a single frontliner can't hold back all foes.

EDIT: And super optimized builds are only needed if soloing. In a party skill sinergies and good tatics matter more than stat spreads eight out of ten times, and when they matter less using some comsumables can even the odds. Actually, minmaxing out of PotD difficulty is just making the game less fun for you.

Edited by DreamWayfarer

A couple extra thoughts.

While it is true that gods and religious beliefs play a big part in Pillars of Eternity's plot, there is no inherent benefit—mechanical, narrative, or otherwise—to playing a Priest (and as DreamWayfarer noted, Paladins aren't necessarily devoted to a specific deity in this game and, in fact, often aren't.)

Durance, on the other hand, has a personal story that is both interesting and related to the main plot; while it is absolutely not necessary to bring him along to understand or fully appreciate Pillars of Eternity's story, I believe there is something to be gained—narratively—from having him around and playing through his quest. His personality was purposefully made spiteful, hateful, and overall unlikable so don't expect your typical Goody Two-Shoes Priest. That he manages to be unlikable to everyone is a testament to the effectiveness of his writing.

If you want good damage with high INT and RES, just set the latter two to the desired level and put the rest in MIG. Sure, you may end up having a slightly sup-par stat spread, but as DreamWayfarer mentioned, that's not really going to be a big deal on difficulty settings other than PotD (and even on PotD extreme min/maxing is not strictly necessary.)

Edited by AndreaColombo

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Thank you for the feedback. I played through Act I so I've spent a little time with Durance. Interesting characters are my favorite part of these types of games. What would be a less min max type tank build? I am not completely opposed to having a tank character, just that particular build was frustrating. 

What would be a less min max type tank build?

If you're still keen on playing a Priest, you may give this build a spin. It's got INT and RES and can contribute to a fight.

Alternatively, this Fighter (good INT but low RES) or this Chanter (again, good INT but low RES).

Or the Darcozzi Forward Observer, as PrimeJunta mentioned.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Eder do not need to be tank, can give him 2 weapons or one big, and heavy armour. That would make him sturdy enought while still dishing ok dmg.

With Paladins, something like this:

Stats: MIght 18, Int 15, Resolve 15, Rest 10

Race: Moon Godlike is fun, but other options are also ok.

Order: rpg pick (but Bleak Walkers have least synergy)

Skills: A lot of points into Knowledge for scroll use (also helps with some dialogues), Atlethic 3. Some sneak.

Talents: Sword and SHield style, Critical Focus, Deep Faith, Weapon Focus (Soldier), Vulnerable Attacks

Important abilities: Lay of Hands, Zeleaous Focus, Coordinated Attacks,

Gear: Shields with Bash, Weapons with status efects.

Skills/Talents/Abilities could be easly retrained, so no need to think too much about them early.

Edited by evilcat

A stat distribution by itself doesn't really say much, it's what talents and items you pick. Paladins aren't that great for DPS compared to rogues, fighters, or barbs; all of them have more talents that boost it. 

I'm kinda afraid that your beefy DPS paladin will end up not being able to do much paladin-y stuff (very small auras, very short Lay on Hands and exhortation durations), while not being as robust as a fighter or anywhere near as hurty as a fighter or rogue.

From where I'm at, the fun with paladins is all in the support abilities, and then finding ways to use them effectively. I'm totally in love with the Darcozzis and their Inspiring Liberation. My next project is figuring out how to make the best of Zealous Charge though.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

If you want your DPS to really go through the roof at level 13 then you need MIG and INT for Sacred Immolation. But a DPS/tank hybrid with low INT also works. I did a build for that and it was lots of fun. But it's more about burst damage with guns and then switch to tank modus: The Dull Runner - caster clipper paladin tank

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

It was supposed to be a modification of the Stupid Pally build. However I just don't think he ends up tanky enough. However in the process I realized a Strange Mercy style paladin build would be really fun. It involves me giving up my quest to have high resolve but in my experiments with high resolve characters I wasn't very impressed with the outcomes the high resolves answers got me.