DVD Backer Concerns

I have not posted to this forum before and am a longtime fan of Obsidian.  As a DVD Backer who gave his steam key away to a friend, I just want to voice my displeasure with how Obsidian has handled DVD Backer updates. As of typing this, my PoE install has been a patch behind for almost two months and still does not have support for WM1.  With the upcoming release of WM2, I wonder just how long Obsidian is going to take to actually get DVD Backers up to speed.  I have been patiently waiting for a relatively extended period of time with no news or updates for DVD backers, something that I do not believe is truly fair.  I understand that update releases for multiple platforms is a relatively complex problem, but even if Obsidian would just release some kind of official statement addressing these issues to DVD Backers I would be completely content to wait out whatever their release schedule may be.

And please do not take this post as a rage filled rant of an impatient jerk.  I love Obsidian's work and have been a fan of theirs for years.  I just think this situation could be handled much better if it was approached with a more open exchange between Obsidian and backers.

• Like 2

Yeah, the DVD thing was clearly a bad idea, as they obviously don't consider supporting it a very high priority.

If I was Obsidian, I'd offer DVD backers a free upgrade/switch to GoG or Steam. With GoG at least the DRM thing shouldn't be an issue as it doesn't have DRM, and they get updates within hours or at most a day or so from Steam backers.

Maybe petition for that?

• Like 1

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Yeah I never considered the DVD to be more than a "collectible" and used my key for myself.  Hopefully they will just issue you a new key if you contact Obsidian directly.  That's what I would do if I were them anyway.

You should certainly contact Obsidian. With backer reward-related kerfuffles in the past they've been keen to offer sensible ways out, e.g. GOG keys for those who are waiting for their DVDs.

Uh... Can you actually give the Steam key you got with copy of PoE to a friend? Isn't that creating a duplicate licence or some such?

I know that's not what you're talking about and the way Obsidian handles DVD versions always felt a bit off to me, but still

Edited by Fenixp

Uh... Can you actually give the Steam key you got with copy of PoE to a friend? Isn't that creating a duplicate licence or some such?

I know that's not what you're talking about and the way Obsidian handles DVD versions always felt a bit off to me, but still

The DRM-free DVD and the Steam key are two separate copies of the game. There is no licence issue here.

You should certainly contact Obsidian. With backer reward-related kerfuffles in the past they've been keen to offer sensible ways out, e.g. GOG keys for those who are waiting for their DVDs.

One would hope this doesn't mean DVD updates are NEVER going to become available after months of being promised that "we are working on it"  :(

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...