All Aboard the 2016 Hype Train

Keyrock

You know you are getting old when you actually struggle to think of a game you are looking forward to... =]

I've been that way for a few years, now...and I'm not exactly old, :p. The current gaming landscape has just kinda worn me out and I just don't see anything I'm interested in anymore...

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

It's hitting that point where you have the hype.. but that portion of your head is going "It looks interesting, but I'm not willing to spend that much money on it. I'll wait till it's on sale 5 months down the line".

The constant hype of games and then not quite deserving it for one reason or another is definitely reaching a saturation point. I'm not sure if this is because the older you get the more critical you are of things you spend your budget on, or if it is that hype is just getting even sillier.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I think it's both, silly hype and more rational thinking as we age :p

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Torment, Deus Ex and XCOM 2. That's about everything I can think of to look forward to in one way or another.

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

You know you are getting old when you actually struggle to think of a game you are looking forward to... =]

By that metric I've been old for 17 years now, and I'm a few years over 30. :blink:

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I have games I was excited for sitting on my HD unplayed, so its hard to get excited for new ones

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

It's hitting that point where you have the hype.. but that portion of your head is going "It looks interesting, but I'm not willing to spend that much money on it. I'll wait till it's on sale 5 months down the line".

The constant hype of games and then not quite deserving it for one reason or another is definitely reaching a saturation point. I'm not sure if this is because the older you get the more critical you are of things you spend your budget on, or if it is that hype is just getting even sillier.

This is me.  I've got a couple games I'm interested in (there are 14 on my Steam wishlist), but other than XCOM 2, there's not a one of them that I'm willing to buy at more than $10-15, simply because I've been burned so many times by games that looked interesting, but turned out to be just terrible (for me.)  I think I've finally managed to get buying Bethesda games out of my system at least (I keep buying them when they're very on sale trying to figure out what people see in them, and I just find no enjoyment out of them.  If they had non-terrible game mechanics they might be fun, but...that's unlikely to happen.)

So, other than XCOM2 and the various kickstarters I've backed, the only thing  I'm looking forward to (and I don't know when it will release) is Defender's Quest 2.

I'll be quite honest, I think the reason I think like that isn't due to price (I've gone without eating and smoking for a game I really had to have) but more along the lines of......there's just to many damn games out there compared to when I was younger. My backlog is what's killing most hype for me. When I was younger it seemed the flow of games was just right looking back because they weren't constantly coming out so I had a chance to devour and savor the games over a nice period of time. Now with real life as a single father and steam sales of new AND older games, tbh my library's good for years to come of playing games I've never played or beaten. I guess with a huge backlog and counting real life but I'm going to go with backlog lol, it's hard to really get excited for games when u already got all these other games ur trying to find time and motivation for.

Mostly Deus Ex, to the point where I was quite annoyed when they pushed the date back. Not that I don't have a backlog after the last couple of years, but I'm slowly catching up, so I'd like to see something more this year. Hoping that they a) release the new Mass Effect and b) it's actually good. Cyberpunk and Dishonored 2 are on a vague day 1 list in my head somewhere, but I have no idea when they are coming out (either).

Late edit: Siege of Dragonspear, too. I'd forgotten about it.

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Like 2

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

There wasn't anything I was really hyped for, I actually felt kinda meh about gaming in general, but then bloody Luridis showed those trailers for No Man's Sky.  I had heard of it but never really got round to looking into it until now, but goddamn that is like my perfect game!  Damn you Luridis!

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

• 8 months later...

There wasn't anything I was really hyped for, I actually felt kinda meh about gaming in general, but then bloody Luridis showed those trailers for No Man's Sky.  I had heard of it but never really got round to looking into it until now, but goddamn that is like my perfect game!  Damn you Luridis!

I sure am sorry how it ended up turning out FlintlockJazz. No Man's Sky ended up being yet another failed space sim. Space games are hard to do well and those developers whom would attempt such without sufficient research are asking to put a lot of man-hours into reliving mistakes that countless others have made. It seems Hello Games went to the genre half-****ed and found themselves making the same mistake that the Limit Theory developer made. Perhaps I should make a rules list for the small team and indie devs that fancy the space genre...

Rule #01: Understand the biggest problem in open world space sims: that of universe scale IRL, game world space and the limitation of floating point limits in consumer GPUs. Someone on your development team must understand linear algebra, trigonometry and Cartesian mathematics to a high degree. Indeed someone must understand 3D engine architecture deeply and be able to plan the game mechanics and/or 3D engine work-arounds from the very beginning to compensate for this core problem of the genre.

Rule #02: Do not focus entirely upon Randomly Seeded Procedural Generation, if indeed you choose to use it at all. Commonly abbreviated as "Procedural Generation" is, by it's very nature, at odds with the depth design element. Things like faction affiliations, ship choice and universe economics become much more difficult when everything is randomized.

Run afoul of #2 and people will accuse your game of being "a mile wide and an inch deep". Run afoul of #1 and you'll be announcing that the universe won't feature gas giants, planets will be small, and space backdrops will feel wrong because planets and moons are in gravitationally impossible proximity.

It is pretty sad that it turned out the way it did and it's no wonder to me why publishers have largely abandoned the genre. Developers, indie or not, frequently bite off more than they can chew trying to make a space sim on a whim. The truth is, even if it's only single player, a modern space sim akin to 1994's Frontier Elite II would require a back-end nearly as complex as any MMO. Last time I looked at XML document from my latest X Rebirth save game, it was 1,340,766 lines long and it's only got half a dozen start systems in the whole game.

Edited by Luridis
  • Like 1

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

I'm tempted to write something about getting excited about '17 releases but I'm too old and bitter to get worked up enough to mock.

Hyped is a strong word, but I am looking forward to Expeditions: Viking

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Hype is the first stop on the route to disappointment.

That said i'm also quite looking forward to Expeditions: Vikings, finally a game dealing with the interesting aspects of Norse society, rather than Skyrims (and most other games) idiotic and cliched pseudo Viking Nords.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

That said i'm also quite looking forward to Expeditions: Vikings, finally a game dealing with the interesting aspects of Norse society, rather than Skyrims (and most other games) idiotic and cliched pseudo Viking Nords.

Is it? I wouldn't exactly call Expeditions: Conquistador a historically accurate game. Also, what about the DLC for Mount and Blade: Warband, Viking Conquest? While I own it, I didn't invest a significant amount of time in it, wonder if it's good after the vigorous patching it received.

Edited by Fenixp

What a surprise.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

The hype train comes full circle.   :)

They so carefully pruned that pre-release footage that I never imagined gameplay would be so incredibly shallow. I dare say that most board games are more compelling than "scan creatures" and "refill your shields with titanium", as if the latter mechanic makes sense to anyone who's ever played Elite, Wing Commander, Independence War, Freelancer, etc.

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

I should add this... This was done by someone whom understands the number scaling problems in space games. Kudos to them.

http://youtu.be/OBYRIZA44Eg

Edited by Luridis
  • Like 1