Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Solo paladin vs dragons v2.03

PotD Paladin Solo Dragon

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Kaylon

Kaylon

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 833 posts

Edit: Changed the alpine dragon video and used a more optimized build (no healing potions used) based on the fact that his attacks don't target your deflection. Also I'm showing more details in the logs during combat for people who want to understand what really happens.

• Boeroer likes this

delfador

delfador

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

Great^^ Is it necessary to min/max the attributes?

My second question is, can your paladin handle everything ( all encounters, bounties, packs, etc ) in this game?

Yes, if you want to minimize the risks - for example I can't be petrified at all in the videos. Yes, I finished all the quests, but don't imagine you'll simply walk in the middle of the packs and kill everything. You have to split them to defeat them - especially in the expansion.

Wow, awesome videos!

I think you may have already answered this, but is Wild Orlan necessary (because of the +10 to defenses)? It looked that way but I wasn't sure.

Kaylon

Kaylon

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 833 posts

Great^^ Is it necessary to min/max the attributes?

My second question is, can your paladin handle everything ( all encounters, bounties, packs, etc ) in this game?

Yes, if you want to minimize the risks - for example I can't be petrified at all in the videos. Yes, I finished all the quests, but don't imagine you'll simply walk in the middle of the packs and kill everything. You have to split them to defeat them - especially in the expansion.

Wow, awesome videos!

I think you may have already answered this, but is Wild Orlan necessary (because of the +10 to defenses)? It looked that way but I wasn't sure.

It's recommended because the fear aura continuously attacks your will and you'll have nearly permanent +10 all defenses vs dragons.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7652 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Best dragon hunter race there is on Eora. ;)

Raven Darkholme

Raven Darkholme

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1746 posts
  • Steam:Victor_Creed_SFV

Very nice strategies, just killed the Alpine for the first time ever on the first try.

I made some minor changes to your build and I also ummmmmmmmm, went in the fight with minor fatigue, forgot to put on boots of stability and realised before the fight, that I have no fruit and can craft no dragon dish.

So I thought I wouldn't be able to kill it and have to relaod, but I still kicked it's ass easily.

An "alpine dragon is a wussy" video is gonna follow for sure. :D

Kaylon

Kaylon

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 833 posts

Flanked, fatigued, no boots of stability, no rymrgrand mantle... the rng gods love you.  :grin: My strategy was for common people.  :p

• knownastherat and Raven Darkholme like this

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7652 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

How do you know he was flanked and had no mantle? Did you guys secretly share videos? ;)

• gogocactus likes this

Raven Darkholme

Raven Darkholme

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1746 posts

I already uploaded my full unedited playthrough video. :p

• Boeroer likes this

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7652 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

And you didn't post that here? Ts, ts, ts... ;)

Raven Darkholme

Raven Darkholme

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1746 posts

And you didn't post that here? Ts, ts, ts... ;)

An edited video will come, as to my full PT I will post a link once it is complete. (Which is probably today. :p)

Kaylon

Kaylon

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 833 posts

Even if it's not the 2.03 anymore I'm posting here my fight with Llengrath to keep all the dragon fights at the same place...

https://youtu.be/T3iFg1qZT80

Edited by Kaylon, 06 April 2016 - 05:32 AM.

• fiddlesticks and Raven Darkholme like this

MaxQuest

MaxQuest

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1517 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

^ Looks like Triumph of the Crusaders was quite handy, as Lay on Hands wasn't even used :)

P.S. 80h+ into the game, I learn that one can use the food, by dropping it onto the portrait...

Edited by MaxQuest, 06 April 2016 - 05:50 AM.

fiddlesticks

fiddlesticks

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer

Nice job, that looks a lot cleaner than my attempt.

Would you say this strategy is reliable for Trial of Iron? It seems like a bad roll on the Helpless Beast spell could easily screw you over there.

Kaylon

Kaylon

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 833 posts

^ Looks like Triumph of the Crusaders was quite handy, as Lay on Hands wasn't even used :)

P.S. 80h+ into the game, I learn that one can use the food, by dropping it onto the portrait...

Yes, Triumph of the Crusaders is very strong and has good synergy with Sacred Immolation. But Vigurous Defense coupled with Defiant Resolve and Faith and Conviction is the real deal...  :)

Nice job, that looks a lot cleaner than my attempt.

Would you say this strategy is reliable for Trial of Iron? It seems like a bad roll on the Helpless Beast spell could easily screw you over there.

If you play it safe it's very reliable - keep your health maxed and use potions of Major Recovery. You can also drop a little your resolve to max constitution. Even if you're very unlucky and she hits you, the transformation won't last long enough for dragons to kill you because of the Major Recovery.

fiddlesticks

fiddlesticks

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 101 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer

That's a good point. I didn't even consider the power of Major Recovery potions. It's so rare for a solo Paladin to actually have to worry about status effects in the later stages of the game. :)

Now I wonder what other classes could conceivably solo the fight. Overmind said he did it with a Chanter. I'd imagine Ranger would be possible as well. Maybe Fighters?

Kaylon

Kaylon

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 833 posts

The chanter has unlimited summons he can use like meat shields and kill with a bow.

I think the encounter is doable with a speedy character and a bow. But you have to be able to tank a few ranged attacks or/and use some confusion scrolls to make them use their projectiles on other targets.

I don't think a fighter can tank like the paladin or at least not reliably. He will be debuffed rather easily and then the damage will start adding up very fast.

Kaylon

Kaylon

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 833 posts

Tested for the fun paladin solo vs adra dragon with the last patch, but without WM1&2 installed, and it's by far the hardest fight in the game. All the changes/nerfs to paladins made this fight very different from what it was before 2.0. Before 2.0 you had just to use food and with Drawn in Spring you could easily take her down without even using a single potion. After 3.0 you have to use potions like crazy to stay alive and be able to outlast her...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PotD, Paladin, Solo, Dragon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users