Camping and Food?

I like the rest system in PoE and think it's a vast improvement on BG1/2.

Food seemed like a nice idea but in practice I don't find that it adds much to either gameplay or role playing.

Given that the Survival is going to be revamped in NM-2 I'd be interested in seeing the following changes to camping in a future patch or mod:

• Resting outside an inn requires both camping supplies (which should be a bit cheaper) and meals for the party.
  • Resting without a proper meal (just the iron rations from the camping kit) will limit the amount of healing a character gets from resting (halved?).
  • Each character will have a favourite food (possibly determined by race and background), if they get to eat that then they will receive a small benefit that will last for 1 rest. 

I welcome your thoughts and counter suggestions.

• Like 1

This sounds a bit more old school to me.  I actually don't mind the idea of tinkering with food.  I don't think it's overpowered like some folks.  In fact, I think the fact that it isn't required means that the real downside of food, much more than any alleged resource imbalance, namely inconvenience, blunts its effectiveness for the majority of players.  That is to say, since players are not required to think about using food, they tend to forget about it.  If it were required on one hand and yielded a benefit, even small, on the other, players would spend less time insisting on going back to the inn for every rest.

Moreover, the fact that folks would get a better result at an inn but still opt for sleeping in the field for a smaller but still recognizable result would put paid to the power gamer gripe against resting in the game.  Most players, as I see it, are not gaming the system.  Most gamers are simply lazy.  Player laziness is the true heart of what players want, both good and ill.  Please don't misunderstand, sometimes the mass of players clamor for things that they'll end up hating.  However, snapping suspender game theorist come up with complicated reasons for players desires while overlooking the simplest, and I mean simplest, of player motivations:  laziness.  Getting them past that obstacle with a little finesse is the hallmark of a great designer.

Disclaimer:  all opinions my own, of course.  I would refuse to offer opinions in which I didn't believe

Edited by why

bother?

Old school. simulationist? guilty as charged.

I agree about player laziness and I will admit it's a contributory factor to my decision whether to camp or return to an inn (plus role playing).

I play on normal, in part, so I don't have to power game and can concentrate on the emerging story.

Food is here for dungeons which are hard. Each time to run into area which is a little above of what you can do normally, so here comes the food for that extra 10% you was lacking.

Camping is fine. Most maps have one bonfire which is enought to clean it.

Buffs are better than malus. Since with malus everybody will be annoyed by it, and it will obscure UI, but buffs sometimes it is not needed or player could not care.

Food/Bonfire managment is not exacly exiting or require any "skill" so it just sits here, better not overfocus on it.

I am not sure about survival/atletics changes. Potion/Food duracion is nice thing. Maybe one of these could have "healing effects receive +%".

Edited by evilcat

I like the rest system in PoE and think it's a vast improvement on BG1/2.

Food seemed like a nice idea but in practice I don't find that it adds much to either gameplay or role playing.

Given that the Survival is going to be revamped in NM-2 I'd be interested in seeing the following changes to camping in a future patch or mod:

• Resting outside an inn requires both camping supplies (which should be a bit cheaper) and meals for the party.
  • Resting without a proper meal (just the iron rations from the camping kit) will limit the amount of healing a character gets from resting (halved?).
  • Each character will have a favourite food (possibly determined by race and background), if they get to eat that then they will receive a small benefit that will last for 1 rest. 

I welcome your thoughts and counter suggestions.

I like it Hawk but I would make it a Trial of Iron/Expert Mode option.  I would use it of course :)

Have gun will travel.

For me, camping is good as it is now. It is MUCH better then in IE games. I wouldnt change anything.

Food....too much micromanagement in party. I didnt use it before, but now I finally see it is really powerfull.

Food is great when you play solo. It doesnt take so much time as in group of six.

Before most big fights I buffed my solo character with +45 endurence, +10 atributes, +3 DR from food and drinks and it really makes most of fights much easier.

Before most big fights I buffed my solo character with +45 endurence, +10 atributes, +3 DR from food and drinks and it really makes most of fights much easier.

Plus a good selection of cheeses  ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist it.

As someone who plays with a full party I'd like food to have a combination of role playing and game value.

Real world stuffing yourself before a fight (or sport) is bad news, it may make you sleepy and/or give you cramps hence my suggestion that it be combined with the camping mechanism.

I guess this might actually support your view, Hawk, but there're many examples of leaders giving not only extra food but maybe wine or alcholic beverages the night before a battle.  Not enough to wake up with a nasty hangover, but enough to wake up mean and spoiling for a fight.  Then there's also a small shot or two of some distilled spirit given before battle.  I would suggest that this is not quite as useful for soldiers in a modern army as elan is simply not important as precision and training, but the relationship between alcohol and performance is widely misunderstood.

However, going into battle with an empty belly and low energy is not a good idea.  I guess I'm rambling, but I think overall your idea does support somewhat of a simulationist view if that's your aim.  cheers!

bother?

Why: I'm following up on what I perceive to be the basically realistic combat model (endurance + health) of PoE.

<science stuff>

I don't claim to be an expert on sports nutrition, just an interested amateur but my understanding is the ideal prep for an expected bout of activity is:

• A *good* meal a few hours before,
  • Some time to digest the food and allow blood circulation to return to normal as during digestion blood is routed to the digestive system,
  • Fluids plus low bulk, high energy foods during the activity.

I was also told (some years ago) that the energy foods don't actually get digested very quickly but their presence in the stomach fools the body into releasing some of its internal energy reserves.

</science stuff>

So, yes, simulationist but I would want to keep play as streamlined as possible with the system prioritising meals to the characters that need/would get most benefit from them . I'd very much like to get away from the current (slightly) micro management system for food.

I also find that the current system reduces my immersion:

• Scout reports what's ahead
  • Select most appropriate menu from available ingredients (EG looks like Fampires, we need to boost will)
  • Cook and eat meal just outside visual range and, we must assume, downwind
  • Attack …
  • Like 1

I also find that the current system reduces my immersion:
  • Scout reports what's ahead
  • Select most appropriate menu from available ingredients (EG looks like Fampires, we need to boost will)
  • Cook and eat meal just outside visual range and, we must assume, downwind
  • Attack …

From the gamy point of view that is quite fun. The situacion when you scout ahead and take right potions before the battle. Even better when you can take potion once for 5 min (not before every combat). It makes things more smooth, yet not exacly easier (you need to pic right food).

My only complain is that there is not enought food/oil variety (like element resistance things) so we cant go all witcher against enemies.