Intelligence genes found

Meshugger

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/12061787/Intelligence-genes-discovered-by-scientists.html

Genes which make people intelligent have been discovered and scientists believe they could be manipulated to boost brain power.

Researchers have believed for some time that intellect is inherited with studies suggesting that up to 75 per cent of IQ is genetic, and the rest down to environmental factors such as schooling and friendship groups.

I wonder what countries with little moral scrouples, like China, will do with this discovery....discuss!

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

75% of IQ probably comes from this study that says that  Genetic research has shown that intelligence makes a major contribution to the heritability of educational achievement. However, we show that other broad domains of behavior such as personality and psychopathology also account for genetic influence on GCSE scores beyond that predicted by intelligence. Together with intelligence, these domains account for 75% of the heritability of GCSE scores.

http://www.pnas.org/content/111/42/15273

What do you mean little morals? If they can help the evolution why not. I do not see nothing less moral about it than for example altering a gender.

In many countries, messing around with the genetical structure of your future unborn is a big taboo. In places like China however, i wouldn't be surprised if they instiutionalized the practice of maximising the potential IQ via several medical procedures during pregnancy.

(Anyone else daydreaming about a cyperpunk future?)

Edited by Meshugger

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Well if there will be a gene therapy for it, this will only stgnate the positions of wealth and power. Rich will make sure tha their kids will be "smart" well educated and with a lot of financial assets. It will only limit the movement between the poor, the middle class and the rich. Today you can move up from poor to at least high middle class if you are smart and hard working. If the genetical advantage will be secured by the rich, you will not be able to make such a jump in your own lifetime you will need your lifetime and then your kids will have a shot at it if you will invest in that.

I do not object any gene therapies as long as we wont move towards very uniform society. I'd rather have a world with humans enjoying healthy long life who are also smart and push civilization forward. That however is daydreaming for now. People will make a lot of money on this and it will be mostly for fairly wealthy people same as many today's medical practices

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/12061787/Intelligence-genes-discovered-by-scientists.html

Genes which make people intelligent have been discovered and scientists believe they could be manipulated to boost brain power.

Researchers have believed for some time that intellect is inherited with studies suggesting that up to 75 per cent of IQ is genetic, and the rest down to environmental factors such as schooling and friendship groups.

I wonder what countries with little moral scrouples, like China, will do with this discovery....discuss!

If we can create better humans; I say we do it.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

How smart is smart. I mean, what does it mean to be intelligent. What if you have a vocabulary of two-hundred thousand words, locked down in form and function, until and when speaking publicly ... whereupon it evaporates ... are you smart in quantity but stupid in quality? Asking for a friend. 

All Stop. On Screen.

The point i am trying to make is that intelligence alone will not cut it. Wisdom is required for the correct action, no matter how intelligent you are.

Vonnegot's "Cat's Cradle" illustrates this dilemma quite well.

• Like 1

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

How smart is smart. I mean, what does it mean to be intelligent. What if you have a vocabulary of two-hundred thousand words, locked down in form and function, until and when speaking publicly ... whereupon it evaporates ... are you smart in quantity but stupid in quality? Asking for a friend. 

I would consider intelligence to be a combination of the rate at which you learn, and of how complicated the concepts you can fathom.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

In the US, they leave the thinking to the government... they even have a Federal Bureau of Intelligence =]

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Thought it was Investigation. Although the FBI is the domestic intelligence service (CIA/NSA overreach not withstanding). After reading some cyberpunk material, I don't dream of that future :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

From what I understand of the genetic structure of humanity it is a spiderweb, scientists expected a great many more genes to be present each controlling one thing and found far fewer, and our makeup was spread amongst an intricate web where tweaking one thing has a ripple effecting producing unusual side effects. Thus it is not quite as simple as isolating one gene, one must tweak an entire pattern and hope the side effects are not so detrimental.

I may be wrong however, this is just from reading an authors submitted summary of his work.

Edit: I want more life ******!

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Well if there will be a gene therapy for it, this will only stgnate the positions of wealth and power. Rich will make sure tha their kids will be "smart" well educated and with a lot of financial assets. It will only limit the movement between the poor, the middle class and the rich.

That's how it always is.

That'd be great! Shame it'll be used to **** the most of us over

The point i am trying to make is that intelligence alone will not cut it. Wisdom is required for the correct action, no matter how intelligent you are.

Although true I hardly see this as an argument against. I'd rather live in a society of intelligent unwise people than a society of unintelligent unwise people.

I bet you could raise the national IQ by quite a bit by making a cut off point in the scoring under which you would be made into lampshades.

Which will be useful as soon as IQ test are actually accurate at measuring individual's intelligence, which, as it turned out, is not really something you can compress into a single number

"I'm okay guys, I'm 145 intelligent!"

Edited by Fenixp
  • Like 1

75% of IQ probably comes from this study that says that  Genetic research has shown that intelligence makes a major contribution to the heritability of educational achievement. However, we show that other broad domains of behavior such as personality and psychopathology also account for genetic influence on GCSE scores beyond that predicted by intelligence. Together with intelligence, these domains account for 75% of the heritability of GCSE scores.

http://www.pnas.org/content/111/42/15273

I don't think it's reasonable to equate academic achievement to intelligence either, considering how many are without those opportunities.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Is it worth noting that the most successful lifeforms don't really need intelligence, and in fact would probably regard it as a hindrance?

Edit: Though it could be argued that we are approaching these simple lifeforms adaptability from another direction.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!