Boeroer's melee Ranger build had me thinking of a LOTR party I had in IWD2 and what a blast it was to play (even though melee parties usually did not fare well in that game). I found the old portraits and will try to convert them to POE format but wanted some ideas on how to build this party.

1. Aragorn human Ranger using 2H Sword

2. Legolas elf Ranger or Rogue using Bow

3. Gimli dwarf Fighter using Axe

4. Gandalf human Wizard using Staff

5. Frodo halfling Rogue? using Dagger

6A. Boromir human fighter using Sword/Shield OR

6B. Arwen elf Cipher? using ??? (she did have some telepathic powers)

I would like to find a balance between being true to the LOTR story characters and optimal POE talents & abilities. Any suggestions?  

• Like 1

I don't think there should be a Ranger in the party, considering the lack of animal companions. The role Aragorn actualy plays would be better covered by a Paladin.

Gandalf does not have to be a wizard. He could be a priest. He is not a scholar of the arcane, but a wandering semi-holy guardian of middle earth, and the "wizards" of Arda are actualy celestial beings. Plus, priests have nice enough fire spells.

If you want him to be wizard consider building him as a melee wizard, seeing how often he goes into the fray with sword and staff.

Edited by DreamWayfarer
  • Like 1

@DreamWayfarer, good points about Aragorn. The only animal affinity he had was to his horse and that is not an option in POE. He does show a lot of Paladin like qualities including the ability to  "turn undead" (at the end of Return of The King), also not an option in POE.

Looks like I will make Aragorn a Paladin which will give me some healing capabilities and Gandalf a melee Wizard. Thanks for your input! 

Saruman - Human wizard, staff

Uglúk - Aumaua ranger, wolf companion

Grishnakh - Aumaua fighter, sabre

Gothmog - Human cipher, morningstar

Khamûl - Human Bleak Walker paladin, sword

and

Balrog - Fire Godlike barbarian (two-handed sword, Forgemaster's Gloves, Scion of Flame etc)

• Like 1

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Saruman - Human wizard, staff

Uglúk - Aumaua ranger, wolf companion

Grishnakh - Aumaua fighter, sabre

Gothmog - Human cipher, morningstar

Khamûl - Human Bleak Walker paladin, sword

and

Balrog - Fire Godlike barbarian (two-handed sword, Forgemaster's Gloves, Scion of Flame etc)

Nice!! This would be interesting for an all evil play through.

Would have to be careful not to have Gandalf and Balrog in the active 6 person party at the same time or they will auto-attack each other constantly ;)

Edited by 3rdID
  • Like 1