I don't know. In 2.03 the animal companions can hit really hard. Predator's Sense combined with Merciless Companion is a +80% damage modifier. I used a wounding weapon once (Persistence), together with Predator's Sense plus Vicious, Merciless and Resilient Companion. My wolf was hitting for 70 to 90 against high DR targets. You could do that with quickswitching guns, too. Just apply the wounding effect with the bow so that Predator's Sense cicks in, then cycle through your guns and back to the bow.

I developed that build further to a melee version with Tidefall and Shod-in-Faith boots, so that you and your pet both get healed while you flank one enemy. Don't know if it's viable for solo, but the DPS and survivability was really good. Pets have no health pool, so Consecrated Ground is really great to turn them into tanks.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Yeah that was my observation too. Hence the idea of making the Ranger more tanky - since your Pet is worth a DPS class alone, it would improve your overall combat viability by going more sturdy. Testing seems to confirm this - early levels this is the hands-down strongest class out there.

As for later levels, i am not sure, but the option to respec is still there, so is the Stormcaller + Twinned Arrows + Driving flight build.

Thank you. I will try to play this in few days :)

You're welcome ^^

Still playing TCS a ranger...

It's hard to describe how epic/funny my playthrough level 4-5 was. My ranger had no any chance with the bandits who stole the Smith's Shipment - near trolls killed them.

I knew there are four phantoms in the reception hall of Caed Nua. It will be problem because it means a perma stun. Well, it was the perma stun. I've tried everything but couldn't deceive AI here. At some point ( after 7+ reloads ) it seemed impossible to pass... At last an AoE trap and a couple of shots worked out well. By lucky chance the phantoms stopped to stun my wolf and attacked the ranger. It was a chance - my "almost dead" wolf hastened to the end of the hall ( near the Steward statue ). My char fell down very quick, ghosts are flew away, the fight was over. My animal and "me" were in different parts of the hall. No rest, no way out. I made a decision to save game... two of the phantoms are left. Luckily, my useless ranger suddenly got a Robin Hood ability for a while - several critical shoots. The end.

After a WWII with spiders in the jail I met Maerwald.

Everybody knows Maerwald, a mad fellow with a couple of cheapo spells. Kill him in 5 sec and forget. Nope, not for my ranger. I saw almost "a sorcerer of dreadful power". Besides, ( a surprise! ) these flame blights had pierce immunity. I wasn't ready to rumble :p

So, after 5-6 reloads I just pulled some beetles from another room, fortunately the beetles started to fight Maerwald & his minions and killed each other while my ranger hid in a corner with 15 endurance.

The road to Defiance Bay and some easy level up's are open :)

Strange that you're having so much issues with ranger. Found Act 1 as a ranger stupidly easy with the only real hard fight being the spores in the cave by the ocean. What build are you using? 

I suggest the following for Rangers:

Race: Island Aumaua

Might - 21

Con - 3

Dex - 10

Per - 18

Int -16

Res -10

Skills & Abilities

Lv. 1 - Wounding Shot

Lv. 2 - Quick Switch

Lv. 3 - Vicious Aim

Lv. 4 - Arms Bearer

Lv. 5 - Stalkers Link

You should be able to pick up x2 Fine Arbalests early in the game plus a Fine Hunting Bow. These will serve you until Arms Bearer where you can use Kana's Arq. The basic strategy you'll be using is to unload you 2-3 big guns then switch to the faster bow to finish off what remains.

Give that a try and let me know how it goes.

But you have no resilient or vicious companion. Why?

Because your own DPS is far, far higher than that of the companion? You're basically looking to obliterate things through quick swapping guns such that your pet can off tank while you hunting bow down the last guy. A small pet damage increase or a few more DR will not make or break a fight.

But as island au. you have allready 3 weapon sets. Do you really need a 4th one? Is it not better, to skill something else?

The 4th weapon set is probably your most important talent. TCS ranger relies on being able to blunderbus three enemies at the start of the fight. With penetrating shot and driving flight, three enemies should be out right dead or close to it before you switch to something like stormcaller and finish off the remains.

• 3 weeks later...

Now, that I've seen Sacred Immolation at work, I think Paladin is hands down best solo class.

I used the respec feature (first time in my playthrough) to lower CON and some other stats and get INT up to max.

I will respec before the dragon fights and maybe another time before Thaos.

But I think with the defensive potential the pally has combine3d with this passive per encounter ability he is just super strong.

It doesn't take much effort to get toi level 13 with White march and while wizard and others are awesome too their defense is not as good as pally and ability dependent.

What about a chanter with all defense +10 talents, sup. deflection, cautious attack and the Dragon Slashed chant? It's a little bit like Sacred Immolation but comes earlier. Plus you can have very flexible buffs if you need them. And summons. Are his defenses still too weak for soloing? 

Edited by Boeroer

What about a chanter with all defense +10 talents, sup. deflection, cautious attack and the Dragon Slashed chant? It's a little bit like Sacred Immolation but comes earlier. Plus you can have very flexible buffs if you need them. And summons. Are his defenses still too weak for soloing? 

I never tried it myself, but we had a completionist chanter on this forum who struggled with Adra dragon like crazy.

That was before ingame respeccing and 2.0 tho, so it's definitely possible with chanter, but yeah their defenses are lower than paladin.

• Like 1

True - but they only have crappy class talents - so there's more room for defensive ones that could possibly raise your chanter near the level of a paladin? I mean you can alwys chant some defensive chants to make up for a few points of defense. And you can always switch chants. Start wit short, protective chants to call a summon, then switch to AoE damage - or something like that...?

Ok, solo against dragons is a totally different thing.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

True - but they only have crappy class talents - so there's more room for defensive ones that could possibly raise your chanter near the level of a paladin? I mean you can alwys chant some defensive chants to make up for a few points of defense. And you can always switch chants. Start wit short, protective chants to call a summon, then switch to AoE damage - or something like that...?

Ok, solo against dragons is a totally different thing.

The solo against dragons was always my reason to like paladin in the first place.

But now with Sacred immolation he also shines where he was crappay before, against larger mobs. :)

• 3 months later...

Thank you all for the comments.

I've tried to play a ranger... it's ridiculously, annoyingly hard in comparison with a wizard.

Just don't know what to do between level 4 & 5 - my animal companion is dying very quickly, a summoned animat cannot help ( at the same time, it helped me a lot, when I played a wizard solo ), my ranger itself is just a full glass with no damage.

Of course, first of all I need to reach Defiance Bay, but It seems impossible to handle Od Nua ghosts outside and especially inside.

You need to respec when fighting the ghosts. to 18 str and 18 con and as high of a int as you can after. Then blast them with fan of flames scrolls and use your summon to buy you time for 1 or 2 flames. Afterwards, respec back.

I tried to make the level 4 invocation work for a single target interruption build since it gives +50 interrupt, but it still didn't seem to work well. It just takes too long to get going and not using dragon chant meant the minions were a problem (and the dragon). Barbarian just seems to work out better for interrupting since AOE is needed.

Edited by Braven

• 1 month later...

I have complete triple crown solo with fighter pre 2.0 it works just fine. using one-hand weapon for high acc and just knock down, knock down and knock down( with talent) and knock down(with belt)

using scroll, Ring of Searing Flames and Rotfinger Gloves with some summons for bigger battle.

I have complete triple crown solo with fighter pre 2.0 it works just fine. using one-hand weapon for high acc and just knock down, knock down and knock down( with talent) and knock down(with belt)

using scroll, Ring of Searing Flames and Rotfinger Gloves with some summons for bigger battle.

pre 2.0?

Were there even immunities to prone in pre 2.0?

Also TCS is not that hard you skip whatever you want, try Ultimate with those strats :p

I obtain triple crown with stag druid, and in my opinion this class is best for that, becouse he is strong from the begining until the end.

Have you beat the hardest encounters (dragons/WM bounties)? - that's how you see if your character is strong. Without doing that it's just wishful thinking...  ;)

I obtain triple crown with stag druid, and in my opinion this class is best for that, becouse he is strong from the begining until the end.

Have you beat the hardest encounters (dragons/WM bounties)? - that's how you see if your character is strong. Without doing that it's just wishful thinking...  ;)

yup, triple solo from wm2 potd+iron+all dragons, bounties etc, with 4 char (druid was 1, later pala,cipher and chanter), druid was the first to obtain all titles, and still druid was the strongest in my opinion.

Edited by mukurome

yup, triple solo from wm2 potd+iron+all dragons, bounties etc, with 4 char (druid was 1, later pala,cipher and chanter), druid was the first to obtain all titles, and still druid was the strongest in my opinion.

Sounds interesting. You should post your base attributes / abilities / talents or make a youtube video from the fights.

Sounds interesting. You should post your base attributes / abilities / talents or make a youtube video from the fights.

Sorry i'm not internet superhero to put youtube videos :p beside in iron path there is no save so i can't put it anyway.

Stats for druid are simple - max might and max inteligence, race dwarf to maximixe str and racial bonus +15 hit vs primodal/wildlings. Thanks to this we can have long duration of lvl 4 stunt wave, max efect of lvl 5 storm, stag carnage hit all enemies at 360 degree for around 60-70 (something about 10-12 hits) so when everything is stuned we just activate stag and watch the whole world burn xD

Sorry i'm not internet superhero to put youtube videos :p beside in iron path there is no save so i can't put it anyway.

Stats for druid are simple - max might and max inteligence, race dwarf to maximixe str and racial bonus +15 hit vs primodal/wildlings. Thanks to this we can have long duration of lvl 4 stunt wave, max efect of lvl 5 storm, stag carnage hit all enemies at 360 degree for around 60-70 (something about 10-12 hits) so when everything is stuned we just activate stag and watch the whole world burn xD

Can you describe the tactics used with each of the classes you mentioned against the alpine dragon? And videos are just tutorials - a picture is worth a thousand words - it has nothing to do with being some superhero.  ;)

PS. Also you don't need to use a save of your TCS for videos - with the console you can create any character you want, with the items you need, teleport him to any area and kill any enemy you like...

Can you describe the tactics used with each of the classes you mentioned against the alpine dragon? And videos are just tutorials - a picture is worth a thousand words - it has nothing to do with being some superhero.  ;)

PS. Also you don't need to use a save of your TCS for videos - with the console you can create any character you want, with the items you need, teleport him to any area and kill any enemy you like...

I did never use console for this game, don't see the reason to do that, also i have better things to do, that make console char just to put screen from fight that i already won around 10 times solo with almost all char. If you do not believe that someone could beat the game with druid that is your problem:)

there is a glitch to alpine dragon fight, just stay surrounded by ice blights and he won't hit you. With high defenses blight won't hit you either. If You stay on the north, the spectres won't see you and you can cast stag horn on him until death. Also most fun alpine dragon char in my opinion is chanter. I call it benny hill tactics :D Just put +3speed boots and run circle with slash/burn chant :D dragon won't hit you cause you are faster and he will run after you, when chant slowly kill him xD

Also for alpine dragon solo cleric is best in my opinion, he just rape him with his fire spells. But i did not solo potd cleric, cause he sux at start :/

As for dual dragon the key to victory is ring with dominate spell, and we can dominate flying one, so ther one and xuartrip will take him down, When he is out, just take out other dragon from distance. Alse if we use that shield from dying monk quest and have def around 120, sorcerrer's orb spell from xuartrip should be retailed and they just kill themselves xD

Edited by mukurome

I did never use console for this game, don't see the reason to do that, also i have better things to do, that make console char just to put screen from fight that i already won around 10 times solo with almost all char. If you do not believe that someone could beat the game with druid that is your problem:)

there is a glitch to alpine dragon fight, just stay surrounded by ice blights and he won't hit you. With high defenses blight won't hit you either. If You stay on the north, the spectres won't see you and you can cast stag horn on him until death. Also most fun alpine dragon char in my opinion is chanter. I call it benny hill tactics :D Just put +3speed boots and run circle with slash/burn chant :D dragon won't hit you cause you are faster and he will run after you, when chant slowly kill him xD

Also for alpine dragon solo cleric is best in my opinion, he just rape him with his fire spells. But i did not solo potd cleric, cause he sux at start :/

As for dual dragon the key to victory is ring with dominate spell, and we can dominate flying one, so ther one and xuartrip will take him down, When he is out, just take out other dragon from distance. Alse if we use that shield from dying monk quest and have def around 120, sorcerrer's orb spell from xuartrip should be retailed and they just kill themselves xD

I just explained why people post videos (and how to make them). It has nothing to do with me wanting some proof or screenshot from you - I really don't care if you really did it or not because there are so many exploits and bugs making TCS pointless. Also, what's the point to come bragging about your TCS runs if you don't provide some useful informations about how you did it? 

• Like 1