Hello there,

Triple Crown has been finished today and I think about Triple Crown Solo. Which class is better?

I've already finished Solo PotD ( not Iron/Expert, just PotD ) playing a wizard, wouldn't say that it was very difficult, but there is too much difference between the save/load immortality and Trial of Iron, where one-shot can blow my char away. Wizards are such a "glass" at the start of any battle.

I probably would have taken a dual wielding paladin.. but really not sure that I can handle some encounters ( for example, some bounties or lagufaeth and spirit packs in The White March locations ).

What do you think? Any advice/suggestion, and also links to special guides will be greatly appreciated. 

P.S. Sorry for my poor English.

If you're just doing it for the achievement then you can skip many encounters, including the lagufaeth and (probably) the bounties. I know the pre-2.0 TCS runs made heavy use of stealth, and I can't see any reason why that should have changed. Obviously if you have some desire to do a 100% play through on TCS then different rules apply I guess. Or that I am far from the best person to give advice.

If you want to do all battles paladin is not a bad choice because of defenses, but I think if you preplan every fight with another save (non TOI) wizard is very powerful.

Edited by Raven Darkholme

I know Monk used to be a popular TCS class early on; not sure whether this has changed with the recent updates (I've never tried a solo run.)

Indeed, if you're playing just for the achievement I suggest skipping every fight that is avoidable to increase your chances.

Come to think of it, why isn't there a "TCS completionist" achievement? For the really hardcore guys ;)

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Well, the dirty secret is that the trial of iron part of it can be faked. It is still a program after all. Doing a proper ToI (and by extension TCS) is more of a matter of principle.

And as long as a Solo Potd is possible, a TCS is theoretically possible. Being practically probable, that's another thing altogether.

Thank you all for the comments.

I've tried to play a ranger... it's ridiculously, annoyingly hard in comparison with a wizard.

Just don't know what to do between level 4 & 5 - my animal companion is dying very quickly, a summoned animat cannot help ( at the same time, it helped me a lot, when I played a wizard solo ), my ranger itself is just a full glass with no damage.

Of course, first of all I need to reach Defiance Bay, but It seems impossible to handle Od Nua ghosts outside and especially inside.

Could you write me some ideas how to play solo wizard?

How to create it, what items and spells used...

In a nutshell, I played solo wizard as a melee based on the following spells:

1) Concelhaut's Parasitic Staff
2) Citzal's combo ( Lance & Martial Power ) 
3) Self buffs -  Mirrored Image, Deleterious Alacrity of Motion, Llengrath's Safeguard 
4) Summons - Essential & Substantial Phantoms ( must-have because it's an additional save )
5) Control and disable - Chill Fog, Bewildering Spectacle, Expose Vulnerabilities, Arduous Delay of Motion, Confusion ( the most useful ), Ninagauth's Shadowflame, Ryngrim's Enervating Terror, Arkemyr's Capricious Hex, Gaze of the Adragan 
6) Nukes - sometimes old good fireballs or any others with fast casting, just haven't got time to use a lot of damage spells

Talents - Arcane&Hardened Veil, Weapon Focus: Soldier, Two-Handed Weapon, Interrupting Blows, Apprentice's Sneak Attack. Seventh talent is optional ( I got Deep Pockets just in case ).

I've used figurines in almost every battle, and from time to time consumable stuff ( food, bottles, scrolls ).

Attributes:

I don't like min-maxing, so... a completely average role-playing configuration^^ :

Mig 10
Con 12
Dex 10
Per 15
Int 15
Res 15

There was a big re-spec in Stalvart to save two villagers ( and a ring ) from the burning house.

Skills - athletics 2, lore 8, mechanics 12, survival 2. 

Gear - an enchanted Aedyre Clothing at the beginning and Gwisk Glas ( Durgan-Reinforced ) at the end, the Dunryd Demon, Lilith's Shawl, Gauntless of Swift Action, Girdle of Eoten Constitution, Telda's Ring & Ring of the Selonan, Boots of Speed ( or Shod-in-Faith ), Tall Grass just in case and... Calico Cat^^
  • Like 2

Thank you. I will try to play this in few days :)

You're welcome ^^

Still playing TCS a ranger...

It's hard to describe how epic/funny my playthrough level 4-5 was. My ranger had no any chance with the bandits who stole the Smith's Shipment - near trolls killed them.

I knew there are four phantoms in the reception hall of Caed Nua. It will be problem because it means a perma stun. Well, it was the perma stun. I've tried everything but couldn't deceive AI here. At some point ( after 7+ reloads ) it seemed impossible to pass... At last an AoE trap and a couple of shots worked out well. By lucky chance the phantoms stopped to stun my wolf and attacked the ranger. It was a chance - my "almost dead" wolf hastened to the end of the hall ( near the Steward statue ). My char fell down very quick, ghosts are flew away, the fight was over. My animal and "me" were in different parts of the hall. No rest, no way out. I made a decision to save game... two of the phantoms are left. Luckily, my useless ranger suddenly got a Robin Hood ability for a while - several critical shoots. The end.

After a WWII with spiders in the jail I met Maerwald.

Everybody knows Maerwald, a mad fellow with a couple of cheapo spells. Kill him in 5 sec and forget. Nope, not for my ranger. I saw almost "a sorcerer of dreadful power". Besides, ( a surprise! ) these flame blights had pierce immunity. I wasn't ready to rumble :p

So, after 5-6 reloads I just pulled some beetles from another room, fortunately the beetles started to fight Maerwald & his minions and killed each other while my ranger hid in a corner with 15 endurance.

The road to Defiance Bay and some easy level up's are open :)
Edited by Grumpy Sorc
  • Like 2

In Caed Nua you send your pet stealthed alone at the door near the throne (which will open) and you can use him to aggro all the room and pull them inside the hall while the ranger can pick only one to kill (from behind). When the pet is dead and if the ranger is out of sight (once you kill one of them you run back to the entrance) the fight will end, the mobs will return to their place and the pet will be revived (in the hall) and you can repeat the procedure. I believe you can't split the last 3-4 and you'll need a trap and 1-2 fan of flames scrolls to kill them. In general the pet shouldn't tank at all, you just send him forward to split groups and draw them one by one to the ranger who kills them while they try to catch the pet.

Edited by Kaylon
  • Like 1

I'm not sure a 100% TCS run would be winnable. Well obviously it could be winnable, because theoretically every attack enemies make could miss, but realistically I think there are some fights that would just be too tough.

100% quest completion is certainly doable the pacifist way - vs the toughest enemies you can pick the right answers and avoid the fights (all dragons quests and other hard encounters can be completed without a fight). A dragon slayer achievement - where you kill alone a dragon - would make more sense to me.

• Like 2

My TCS ranger became a biggest time-eater at level 8-9. Every battle takes a lot of time. Too much... I've spent 2+ hours trying to kill a shade/spectre pack in the Ondra's Gift Lighthouse. At last killed them after 4 or 5 reloads using all available figurines (4) and Ray of Fire scrolls. Nonsense.. I don't want to skip every combat side-quests or bounties and play only for the achievement icon. At the same time I can't handle easiest bounties without long "kiting", "divide", "kill 'em all one by one", etc. 

It's funny though sometimes. I've tried to pull Sly Cyrdel's outlaws on Gramrfel's bad guys. It was an epic clash.^^

I try to compare wizard & ranger for TCS, and the conclusion is... "equality of opportunity" among the classes is a myth, or I just don't understand something.

My TCS ranger became a biggest time-eater at level 8-9. Every battle takes a lot of time. Too much... I've spent 2+ hours trying to kill a shade/spectre pack in the Ondra's Gift Lighthouse. At last killed them after 4 or 5 reloads using all available figurines (4) and Ray of Fire scrolls. Nonsense.. I don't want to skip every combat side-quests or bounties and play only for the achievement icon. At the same time I can't handle easiest bounties without long "kiting", "divide", "kill 'em all one by one", etc. 

It's funny though sometimes. I've tried to pull Sly Cyrdel's outlaws on Gramrfel's bad guys. It was an epic clash.^^

I try to compare wizard & ranger for TCS, and the conclusion is... "equality of opportunity" among the classes is a myth, or I just don't understand something.

Unle3ss your ranger is at least level 12, you don't have to compare him to the wizard which is probably the best solo class or the pala which is equal.

Ranger on low levels just sucks ass for solo.

How do you reload on TCS?

I mean I know it's possible, but doesn't that defeat the purpose of the challenge?

• Like 1

You're welcome ^^

It's hard to describe how epic/funny my playthrough level 4-5 was. My ranger had no any chance with the bandits who stole the Smith's Shipment - near trolls killed them.

I knew there are four phantoms in the reception hall of Caed Nua. It will be problem because it means a perma stun. Well, it was the perma stun. I've tried everything but couldn't deceive AI here. At some point ( after 7+ reloads ) it seemed impossible to pass... At last an AoE trap and a couple of shots worked out well. By lucky chance the phantoms stopped to stun my wolf and attacked the ranger. It was a chance - my "almost dead" wolf hastened to the end of the hall ( near the Steward statue ). My char fell down very quick, ghosts are flew away, the fight was over. My animal and "me" were in different parts of the hall. No rest, no way out. I made a decision to save game... two of the phantoms are left. Luckily, my useless ranger suddenly got a Robin Hood ability for a while - several critical shoots. The end.

Everybody knows Maerwald, a mad fellow with a couple of cheapo spells. Kill him in 5 sec and forget. Nope, not for my ranger. I saw almost "a sorcerer of dreadful power". Besides, ( a surprise! ) these flame blights had pierce immunity. I wasn't ready to rumble :p

So, after 5-6 reloads I just pulled some beetles from another room, fortunately the beetles started to fight Maerwald & his minions and killed each other while my ranger hid in a corner with 15 endurance.

Strange that you're having so much issues with ranger. Found Act 1 as a ranger stupidly easy with the only real hard fight being the spores in the cave by the ocean. What build are you using? 

I suggest the following for Rangers:

Race: Island Aumaua

Might - 21

Con - 3

Dex - 10

Per - 18

Int -16

Res -10

Skills & Abilities

Lv. 1 - Wounding Shot

Lv. 2 - Quick Switch

Lv. 3 - Vicious Aim

Lv. 4 - Arms Bearer

Lv. 5 - Stalkers Link

You should be able to pick up x2 Fine Arbalests early in the game plus a Fine Hunting Bow. These will serve you until Arms Bearer where you can use Kana's Arq. The basic strategy you'll be using is to unload you 2-3 big guns then switch to the faster bow to finish off what remains.

Give that a try and let me know how it goes.

These will serve you until Arms Bearer where you can use Kana's Arq. The basic strategy you'll be using is to unload you 2-3 big guns then switch to the faster bow to finish off what remains.

I can't recruit Kana and others because it's solo playthrough. 

Anyway I've stopped playing ranger for a while. Too many reloads. A single-target class, that works only with the split-strategy, everything else must be skipped. Maybe my ranger build and battle strategy are wrong. It would be great to watch a video with any ranger vs some Durgan's Battery spirit's pack.
Edited by Grumpy Sorc

These will serve you until Arms Bearer where you can use Kana's Arq. The basic strategy you'll be using is to unload you 2-3 big guns then switch to the faster bow to finish off what remains.

I can't recruit Kana and others because it's solo playthrough. 

Anyway I've stopped playing ranger for a while. Too many reloads. A single-target class, that works only with the split-strategy, everything else must be skipped. Maybe my ranger build and battle strategy are wrong. It would be great to watch a video with any ranger vs some Durgan's Battery spirit's pack.

You don't recruit Kana, you blast him in the face and steal his items.

I did a TCS ranger run pre-2.0 and was able to clear everything including the Adra Dragon. Currently going through it again now (in Act 2) but with the perception change, I can't see how it's not even better. Were you quick swapping weapons because if you're not unloading x3 blunderbus you're doing it very wrong.

Has anyone tried a melee ranger for this? You know, get a shield and a one handed weapon, pump your Resolve (good for quest solving anyway) and make yourself a tank for your pet?

I did that and it was awesome. Check out my class built "Riptide" in this section. But I didn't do a solo run. And my RES was dumped. Maybe it would work with some changes. You could still use arbalests or arquebuses for opening.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

You're welcome ^^

Strange that you're having so much issues with ranger. Found Act 1 as a ranger stupidly easy with the only real hard fight being the spores in the cave by the ocean. What build are you using? 

Might - 21

Con - 3

Dex - 10

Per - 18

Int -16

Res -10

Skills & Abilities

Lv. 1 - Wounding Shot

Lv. 2 - Quick Switch

Lv. 3 - Vicious Aim

Lv. 4 - Arms Bearer

Lv. 5 - Stalkers Link

You should be able to pick up x2 Fine Arbalests early in the game plus a Fine Hunting Bow. These will serve you until Arms Bearer where you can use Kana's Arq. The basic strategy you'll be using is to unload you 2-3 big guns then switch to the faster bow to finish off what remains.

But you have no resilient or vicious companion. Why?

• Like 1

You're welcome ^^

Might - 21

Con - 3

Dex - 10

Per - 18

Int -16

Res -10

Skills & Abilities

Lv. 1 - Wounding Shot

Lv. 2 - Quick Switch

Lv. 3 - Vicious Aim

Lv. 4 - Arms Bearer

Lv. 5 - Stalkers Link

But you have no resilient or vicious companion. Why?

Because your own DPS is far, far higher than that of the companion? You're basically looking to obliterate things through quick swapping guns such that your pet can off tank while you hunting bow down the last guy. A small pet damage increase or a few more DR will not make or break a fight.