[CLASS BUILD] The Drake's Ambassador (searing & mesmerizing chanter tank)

Hello,

this build works like on day one because mechanically nothing got changed. You can add one talent and one ability though because this build was done during WMI and we had only 14 levels then. Now it's 16.

With 10 RES and 10 CON life as a tank can be tough at lower levels and I don't recommend using it as a single tank. Together with another tanky frontliner it's alright. Its advantage is being tanky while dealing a lot of AoE damage at the same time. It works well with a Paladin buddy or another Chanter in the front line. Chanters' damaging phrases like Soft Winds and Dragons Thrashed stack with each other - Ancient Memory's healing does as well. So - two chanters are better than one. ;)

I personally don't like fighters as pute tanks - they can only soak up damage then, don't add anything else to the party and get boring. I like them better when played more offensively.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Love the idea of chanter, very weak at the mo tho (lvl 4) my barb seems to take the heat and tank mostly. At lvl 9 does this build start to shine? Using golden dragon barb and lady in pain 2h fighter in melee.

Atm considering switching chanter for paladin as main tank but want to get to lvl 9 for dragon thrashed

Yes, wait till lvl 9 and then only put Dragon Thrashed into your chant (just that single phrase). Then judge. ;)

In the meantime pick defensive talents, Veteran's Recovery, Ancient Memory + Beloved Spirits. That should make him quite sturdy.

Just use any enchanted helmet that you can find. Argwe's Adra helmet or White Crest helmet are both fine. He Carries many Scars as well.

Edited by Boeroer

• 4 years later...

Im looking at your build, but as a new player I'm confused--what are the names of the actual talents?

Level 1: DR-, DR+, Crush/Stun

Level 2: Paralyze, Summon Wurm, Terrify(!), Charm(!)

Level 3: Summon Drake(!)

Level 4: - nothing -(not worth it)

Phrases

Level 1: Endurance-(!), Reflex & Move Speed, Concentration-

Level 2: Frighten®, Defense against Frighten & Terrify

Level 3: Slash/Burn(!), Burning Lash

Level 4: Draining (not used) 

Hi, have you have already seen this page?
https://pillarsofeternity.fandom.com/wiki/Chanter_abilities

Here you can find the matching phrases/invocations.

For an example, DR- is And Hel-Hyraf Crashed Upon The Shield , DR+ is Not Felled by the Axe, Nor Broken by the Storm and Crush/Stun is The Thunder Rolled Like Waves on Black Seas.

In similar way, Endurance-(!) is Come, Come Soft Winds of Death, Reflex & Move Speed Blessed Was Wengridh, Quickest of His Tribe, Concentration- Thick Grew Their Tongues, Stumbling O'er Words and so on.