Melee DPS: Two-handed vs. Dual Wielding?

Hi everyone,

I'm not good with the mechanics of this game, but have just been playing around and trying to see what the consensus is on DPS output.

Playing as a DPS Paladin- I've tried dual wielding hatches and using a greatsword.  Both seem effective.

However, what, ultimately, is best?  Is it better to have a large, heavy hitting weapon?  Or two smaller weapons (due to enchants)?

Thanks!

As always, it depends :)

Dual-wielding will be better against low-DR targets because it's faster, whereas two-handed weapons are more effective against high-DR targets because they deal more damage.

Of course there are ways to make two-handers really fast, and ways to pump the damage on one-handers—but the above is the general rule.

Personal preference, as usual, is also a thing. I prefer two-handers for my DPS characters, for example.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

For Paladin i would vote for 2 handed since it is better against high dr targets, and high dr target are generally worse.

They may however be build counting on proc effects like Sword of the Shepard, or maybe some special weapons with lighting strike.