Underrail General Topic

apolloooo

oh lmao, my level 1 character with crappy weapon just got his ass kicked by the bandit in the lower levels. hurlshot is right, i feel this can be overwhelming and need time before i can grasp all of the features. but it is awesome so far

I ran away from them and got an achievement... I didn't even had a weapon then.

BTW: My main gripe with this game is that it seems it doesn't have any form of map/minimap right? My sense of orientation is awful to say the least.

Edited by eLPuSHeR

oh lmao, my level 1 character with crappy weapon just got his ass kicked by the bandit in the lower levels. hurlshot is right, i feel this can be overwhelming and need time before i can grasp all of the features. but it is awesome so far

I ran away from them and got an achievement... I didn't even had a weapon then.

BTW: My main gripe with this game is that it seems it doesn't have any form of map/minimap right? My sense of orientation is awful to say the least.

yeah, it can be hell for people with bad sense of direction. well at least it's 2D and isometric, so the way north, west, east and south is always the same. i'd be lost if we can rotate the camera because my built-in navigation system is whack too :p

Well you do have a compass in your inventory. :D

Yes I do, but I am terrible looking at compasses... :D

Yes, I know the red pointer points north...

I think you can also equip it so it's easier to look at. But yes it's hard to find some locations just from what you're told, I had to look at the wiki in one case.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Just seems like a very solid RPG with different ways of playing it, I don't even have any old school nostalgia but found it quite involving, as far as I got anyway. And it's cheap, so at least you'll be supporting a good cause.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

oh stumbled into crawlers nest. the babies are fine, and i can probably one handle one adult one. then they started swarming. there's like dozens of babies and 3 adults crawlers.

giphy.gif

Wait until you run into a Faceless scouting party, I got roasted and toasted. Game has that BG2 quality of having to figure each encounter out, puzzle style.

Loving it.

1) Traps and grenades are game-changers. Use them. Especially with crossbows.

2) Melee/Psi is probably an easy and fun way to get ahead for a new player.

3) Stealth now has a noise system, so you can use this to lure enemies to their doom, or to lure them to a false alarm and then sneak past them. 

4) Play Oddity XP. Don't fight when you don't have to.

5) You will soon have far too much money anyway. Don't hoard what you don't need for your character's craftables (which is already plenty).

• Like 1

It sounds like a few of us made the mistake of going to the rail area up high before the caves.  Once I figured out I was exploring the wrong area, the game got a good deal easier.   :p

Hmm. Maybe I made the same mistake and died early.

How do you make sure you are in the right area?

PS - I am not playing right now. Pretty busy with an NWN2 custom campaign.

Edited by eLPuSHeR

It sounds like a few of us made the mistake of going to the rail area up high before the caves.  Once I figured out I was exploring the wrong area, the game got a good deal easier.   tongue.png

Hmm. Maybe I made the same mistake and died early.

How do you make sure you are in the right area?

PS - I am not playing right now. Pretty busy with an NWN2 custom campaign.

It helps if you just follow assigned quests at first until you figure out the game better.

I'm enjoying it, fantastic character development system.  Once again, a game that seems to understand the magic of a good skill and perk system.  I'm looking at you Bethesda.   :p

eh bethesda is a lost cause at this point. they don't care about making RPG anymore

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have completed the first mission but navigating those labyrinthic maps withouta MAP or MINIMAP is an utter PITA and a major letdown for me. Annoying to say the least. I can't even get my bearings all the time.

Edited by eLPuSHeR

I have started from scratch after completing quest 3. It seems there are no companions aiding you in your quest(s) and this game seems to call for a min-max character build. I had made a very generic vanilla character previously. Also the bartering system sucks big time and you will probably be getting out of ammo due to this.

Edited by eLPuSHeR

I got lost in a ventilation shaft system and gave up.  It was pretty cool for awhile though.

I don't even get how that's possible. May be you got a lot further than I did.

Edit: You can look through ventilator grates to figure out which room you're in by clicking on the grate, if that's the problem.

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

Ventilation systems are always entirely contained to the room you're in, you can look outside each duct to see where you are, and you can always just exit a random duct if you're somehow lost.

Loving the game. Lack of map is annoying but the silver lining is the wonderful episodes when you get lost and try to make it out alive to some friendly settlement without dying. 

I have started from scratch after completing quest 3. It seems there are no companions aiding you in your quest(s) and this game seems to call for a min-max character build. I had made a very generic vanilla character previously. Also the bartering system sucks big time and you will probably be getting out of ammo due to this.

If you persevere after the first couple of quests/areas, i.e. after reaching Junkyard, there's no conceivable way you can run out of anything. You start getting a lot of money, even when merchants don't buy everything (if they did, you'd have literally hundreds of thousands) - to the point where you're soon leaving a lot of loot on the ground and only taking what you want / what is great. 

If you focus on one weapon style (Guns / Xbow / Throwing / Melee), and one defence style (high CON, heavy armour w/ STR, or dodge/evasion), then you'll be fine on Normal. And then you can throw in Psi, and crafting, etc., as you see fit. As long as you don't split your points across all kinds of weapon skills, or do something like pick guns and low perception, you won't be screwed, though of course you may not be optimal.

It's not entirely that simple.  First off, you are probably using the vents if you are a sneaky guy like me that wants to go into places I probably shouldn't.  So just crawling out of any old vent is a good way to get killed.  Also, the vent system I gave up in stretched across multiple maps.

200px-Ojy-u1_1.png

edit:  I'm really not complaining all that much.  I enjoyed the game and may give it another go with a different build and more knowledge.

Edited by Hurlshot