Underrail General Topic

apolloooo

underrail-preview.jpg

Underrail is an old school turn-based isometric indie role playing game that focuses on exploration and combat. The game is set in a distant future, when the life on the Earth’s surface has long since been made impossible and the remnants of humanity now dwell in the Underrail, a vast system of metro station-states.

Release Date: 18th December 2015

Developer: Stygian Software

• Minimum:
    • Processor: 1.6GHz
    • Memory: 1 GB RAM
    • Graphics: GPU that supports shader model 2.0
    • Storage: 2 GB available space

For you that still crave post-apocalypse RPG goodness. i also don't see another topic discussing this awesome, game, so yeah, it will be released tomorrow

• Like 6

Did not know about this and I will be picking this up now.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

on GOG as well :)

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

I already spent a couple hours wandering around caves and tunnels. So far it's been fun, but a few things are bugging me, or dare I say: A few things are a *bit* too old school. Especially the part where there are multiple currencies with weird exchange rates and the fact that the barter window doesn't give you a price in numbers but instead a slider showing how good (or bad) the deal is.

The exploration part is a bit hamstrung by the fact that the game very clearly tells you where you are not yet supposed to be. In the form of impossible skill checks at that level or enemies that kill you in a single round, but maybe that'll change. It certainly didn't help that I had no real idea what I was doing when I made my character. ;)

Oh, and lest anyone else falls for this trap, if you want to use psi abilities then keep in mind activating them will cost you a point of constitution.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

When the blurb says "focuses on exploration and combat", does it mean to say that the game is pretty much a pure dungeon crawler? Comparable maybe to say, ToEE or IWD? Legend of Grimrock?

It's different from ToEE insofar as you only control one character and the combat is a bit more like in Fallout (the original Fallout, that is). Oh, yeah, there are feats that give you access to a bunch of tactical features that my character has no access to because he's killing things with mentally projected fireballs and neuroshocks instead of weapons, so no idea how those are.

In the beginning you're given quests from one of the head honchos in the starting area, and that's pretty much it. I spent most of my time so far wandering the tunnels and killing... rats, trying to catch fish and other critters. That nobody really wants to buy because old-school traders not only have a limited credit supply but also a list of things they want to buy. Found a real nice but useless piece of armor worth a fortune? Yeah, too bad for you if noboy's buying armors right now. Oh, well, maybe the guy that does has nothing you want and not enough cash. Heh.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Having played this in EA, it is an excellent little title. Grab it.

It gets a lot of what made Fallout work gameplay-wise, and mixes it with other old school elements.

Uh, I mean the original Fallouts.

Crafting your own crossbows, loading them with poison/fire bolts, and combining them with various kinds of mines, is a joy.

To be honest, "old school" is largely the opposite of what I want in an RPG. :p The likes of Fallout and Ultima before it were notable because of how they departed from the old school orthodoxy of their time: the status quo being represented by the likes of Wizardry, Might and Magic, the Gold Box games, and innumerable other series that I had no interest in, both then and now.

Though it is interesting how crafting in general is making a comeback in a big, big way, with all sorts of game genres rushing in to embrace it. Personally I can't stand crafting systems in general, I have no patience for it and its cousin that it's never seen without, Inventory Management.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Depends on what you mean by old school. It's not a Gold Box game by any means, and crafting isn't necessarily old school. 

I have a love-hate relationship with inventory management and crafting.  I start with the honeymoon phase where I love the possibilities, then I get overwhelmed by too many items and lack of understanding.  Next I start to figure it out and craft some cool stuff, and then lastly I tend to give up as I realize it is too hard to keep up with.

No idea if that will apply to Underrail, but that is my modus operandi.  Really I just miss the way Jagged Alliance 2 worked.  :(

Ooh, wonder how I missed this? Well off to GOG I go.

Edit: Many thanks for the heads up Mr Apolloooo.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Ever played a game that got you lost in time?

This is such a game. I thought I had played 4 hours, I had played 20 hours.

Although, it took me a couple of New Game try outs before I got into it (2 or 3). I felt it was a game that required some effort, lots of text and staying focused and attentive, but as soon as I overcame that "barrier" it just flowed with no problems and I just surfed on the wave. Now waiting for official release before I dive right into it again :D

EDIT: IT'S RELEASED!? I THOUGHT IT WAS 17TH FOR SOME REASON!!! AAAAAAAAH!! O_O

Edited by Osvir

Personally, I love crafting.  Always have, always will.  I just like my characters being self-sufficient.

Inventory management, on the other hand, I can do without.  It's just tedium, and I can't recall ever having a hard decision in what to keep and what to throw away (usually what was thrown away was just something I was keeping because I'm a pack rat.)  That, and it usually means I have to schlep back and forth a lot to sell things (yes, I need to sell everything! :p )

Personally, I love Wizardry 8's inventory system.  Unlimited party space (with weight divided up among the party) and limited character inventories (which are all that's accessible in combat without losing a turn.)  Basically, kind of like Pillars, except with weight and the ability to store stuff in chests (or just the floor in random houses, since items don't despawn...not that I've ever left tens of thousands of arrows, sling stones, and crossbow bolts on the floor of a house before...)

yeah, that sadly happened to age of decadence too. anyway i am starting to get the hang of this game. barter is a bit of pain in the ass though, since merchants are always looking for something specific in limited number, and the unlimited items are sometimes too precious to trade.

this game is gonna slap my hoarding habit hard. like very very hard >_>

just did the first main mission i think. haven't reported in yet because there are so many loot i have to come back and get.