About to start another play through - help please

As soon as wm2 is released I'm going to replay the whole game, perhaps the last play through for a long time.

I would like if people could share there best experiences with there play throughs so I can perhaps implement them in my play through if I want. I want information that will increase my fun factor.

If you guys could share your best experiences you had fun with involving builds, synergies, item combinations, role playing or whatever else you can think of that would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou

• Like 2

I tested the following some while ago:

- 1 wizard glasscannon with focus on CC and Combusting Wounds + Expose Vulnerabilities plus Veteran's Recovery

- 5 chanters (3 tanks, 2 ranged) with max MIG, Ancient Memory, Beloved Spirits and Veteran's Recovery. They started with "Come, Come Soft Winds of Death" and later switched to "The Dragon Slashed...".

Each of them (if they stood relatively near to each other) had a recovery rate of ~10 endurance per tick and the damage from the DoT was hilarious. You could stack 10 different types of DoT if you managed it well (5 times Dragon Slashed + 5 times Come, Come - Dragon's linger time is quite long). If you cast Expose Vulnerabilities and then Combusting Wounds every DoT tick  the mobs got 50 burn damage (on top of the damage from Come, Come and the Dragon Slashed). On top of that came the normal attacks, the wizards damaging spells and the invocations. It was supereasy and fun. Ok, dragons were a bit hard to beat that way - but the rest was a walk in the park.

Don't know if this is your kind of fun though. 

Another great fun factor is a barb with Spelltongue plus self buffs and a priest with Painful Interdiction and Crowns of the Faithful (and all the other buffs). As long as the barb keeps hitting, the buffs will not wear off during encounter.

A Stormcaller Ranger together with a (Wildstrike-)Shock-Druid is also pretty nice. Besides the huge amount of damage he and his pet are doing, the ranger also lowers shock DR by 6 points, the druid wields shock spells or does huge amounts of wildstrike-shock-damage this way. Or use a wizard with shock spells for this.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Well playing with group is very big fun and is also a lot easier, especially with 2 wizards in a group (my latest game).

However the best fun I had was with solo Rogue, dual wielding sabres, crit.dmg. oriented. I am playing for him right now for the second time. Soloing is little bit harder, but much faster (no micromanagement with the rest of the party, trying the gear for them and so on...).

For soloing I would use a wood elf ranger with 2 arquebuses, Quickswitch and Coil of Resourcefulness. With this setup the recovery time and loading animation get skipped if you quickswitch right after each shot, before the recovery bar appears. It's tricky and cheesing of course - but very powerful. ;)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

For soloing I would use a wood elf ranger with 2 arquebuses, Quickswitch and Coil of Resourcefulness. With this setup the recovery time and loading animation get skipped if you quickswitch right after each shot, before the recovery bar appears. It's tricky and cheesing of course - but very powerful. ;)

That's not cheesy, sir, that's called "twitch gaming," and is the sole reason I ranked high more times than not on BattleField 1942 servers  :disguise:

• Like 1

Hehe - thanks to pausing it's not THAT tricky to hit the sweet spot.

I wouldn't do it in a party though because the amount of micromanagement would just be too much.

Edited by Boeroer

Well, I had a lot of fun by changing up my playstyle. Pre-2.0 I used to utilize tank-and-spank and bottleneck strats. Quite effective but also a tad passive. To the point I stopped my 3rd playthrough at the end of act 2 as it was too boring (even though the party composition was quite optimized). From then, I tried deviating away from bottleneck strats. The new approach where I don't have split my party into a front and rear line is quite refreshing and fun. This was still at pre-2.0 before the changes to engagement were implemented. I also used only martial class to keep things interesting.

Later on in WM1, I still carried on the non-bottleneck approach but added themes to it. One was a no-caster Triple Crown playthrough and another was a Potd/Trial of Iron with all-melee playthrough. The restrictions is kept things exciting and balanced off the knowledge I gained throughout multiple playthroughs.

Edited by mosspit
  • Like 1

Well, I had a lot of fun by changing up my playstyle. Pre-2.0 I used to utilize tank-and-spank and bottleneck strats. Quite effective but also a tad passive. To the point I stopped my 3rd playthrough at the end of act 2 as it was too boring (even though the party composition was quite optimized). From then, I tried deviating away from bottleneck strats. The new approach where I don't have split my party into a front and rear line is quite refreshing and fun. This was still at pre-2.0 before the changes to engagement were implemented. I also used only martial class to keep things interesting.

Later on in WM1, I still carried on the non-bottleneck approach but added themes to it. One was a no-caster Triple Crown playthrough and another was a Potd/Trial of Iron with all-melee playthrough. The restrictions is kept things exciting and balanced off the knowledge I gained throughout multiple playthroughs.

Which of all your themes would you say has put the most smiles on your face? I'm looking to mix things up on my next playthrough.

It is a personal choice though. For me, it was my most recent all-melee playthough. The party composition (Pally, Barb, Monk, Fighter, Cipher, Priest) gave enough options to get through the most demanding encounters in the game, but at the same time not a complete roflstomp through everything. The Trial of Iron mode really does help keep me from treating encounters lightly.

I think alot of fun can be derived from using a party composition and playstyle that is very different to the one you are used to or think is highly effective.

My best suggestion is, have a fun character concept to roleplay. I have fond memories of my nihilistic, perpetually deadpan insomniac of a paladin.

qKz5nVP.png

tumblr_ntb1sfqeVI1rxxgfbo3_400.png                                                         

I stream every Friday at 9pm EST: http://www.twitch.tv/ladaarehn  Currently streaming: KOTOR 2.

Pillars of Eternity homebrew tabletop thread: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/84662-pillars-of-eternity-homebrew-wip/

haveahappy - for your enemies? :)

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus