Might: 19
Con: 6
Dexterity: 17
Per: 15
Int: 3
Res: 18

Ocean Folk, Goldpact Knight

So here is the deal with this guy.  

+ Damage, Damage, and Damage (FoD and Intense Flames) 
+ He's a single-target striker
+ Doesn't get hit too often with his high res

- Auras are wasted except on my Paladin
- No AOE Damage
- When he does get hit, it hurts

So far, he stays by the tank, and does most of the killing while the tank draws the enemies.  His FoD ends battles quickly, but is limited to two uses.

My only concern, due to my lack of understanding of the game design, is how duration will effect my Paladin...  I know low intelligence stunts duration, but will duration affect any of my DPS abilities? (like FOD)?

Thanks for your input.  Once I've got this down, I'm going to run through the game and give my thoughts on how he did.

The low intellect will stunt the duration of the DoT effect that you can take as a Goldpact that adds +50% to your FoD. It will also greatly reduce both the area and duration of Sacred Immolation. It will also greatly diminish your LoH and all of your exhortations.

I find having base 10 intellect is enough when coupled with a high Might, I've never tried going with a 3.

What difficulty level?

I think dumping intellect is fair enough, considering the build you're going for. It just effects a few ability durations. (So try to avoid those abilities when leveling up)
The 6 constitution seems a little risky though. In a situation where they get around your tank, he might go down fast. 

Overall:

I don't think a paladin will ever match a rogue for DPS, but it sounds playable enough. 

The 6 CON is a no go IMO. Leaving it at 10 is fine but having negative values in your second most important defense and have less HP is unsat for a character who is on the front line.

Have gun will travel.

Which DoT abilities will be affected by low intelligence?  

Also, so if I bring my intelligence AND constitution up, to say, a 10....   What would I reduce?

Might?  Dexterity?  Per?  It seems then that I'll suffer low damage.

LOL- maybe I should have just rolled a barbarian.

You have found the issue with Paladin.  He needs too many stats to be a real damage dealer.  He can definitely Alpha Strike (kill shots) with FoD but the class will never be a real dpser (its my favorite class mind you).  Once both Flames of Devotion is used up even with those stats your DPS will be average.  Best you can do is be a sturdy front liner who holds the line and adds competent damage while not folding like a stack of cards in order to let other party members to the real damage dealing.  Leave your INT dumped if you must get a 10 CON and have a 13 DEX.  That's IMO. 

Edited by Torm51

Have gun will travel.

I posted a paladin build with 3 INT ("The Dull Runner"). I avoided nearly all abilites that rely on INT - only exception was Lay on Hands because it's great - even with 3 INT.

I played that guy from lvl 1 to 14 on PotD and it worked pretty well. But I also have to agree to what Torm51 said: FoD shots are great, but after that your dps will drop a lot. 

I used him as a caster-slayer. A paladin is good for that: you have to run behind the enemy lines in order to reach the casters - you have to be ably to deliver some heavy blows/shots in order to kill the casters quickly - and at the same time you have to be sturdy if you don't want to get knocked out from (disengagement) attacks while you fight behind the enemy lines. 

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I posted a paladin build with 3 INT ("The Dull Runner"). I avoided nearly all abilites that rely on INT - only exception was Lay on Hands because it's great - even with 3 INT.

I played that guy from lvl 1 to 14 on PotD and it worked pretty well. But I also have to agree to what Torm51 said: FoD shots are great, but after that your dps will drop a lot. 

I used him as a caster-slayer. A paladin is good for that: you have to run behind the enemy lines in order to reach the casters - you have to be ably to deliver some heavy blows/shots in order to kill the casters quickly - and at the same time you have to be sturdy if you don't want to get knocked out from (disengagement) attacks while you fight behind the enemy lines. 

Love that build.  I think I'm going to have to re-roll as a bleak walker.

Would it, by chance, work with a goldpact knight?  Or are they worth avoiding all-together?

But still, I love the idea of a neutral bleak-walker, someone who is a real hard ass that will end a conflict no matter what the cost.  Very Machiavellian.

• Like 1

Bleak Walker or Goldpact Knight doesn't really matter I think. The +25% corrosive lash from the Bleak Walker's talent don't make a huge difference.
And Goldpact K. is also able to make the cruel decisions if he's the main character.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods