Siege of dragonspear

Cyseal

$130?  Does it come with a hooker and a line of coke I get to sniff off her ass?

On a serious note, for that much scratch I expect a badass statue or something.  I'm sure those dice and that necklace are nice, but not what I expect out of a $130 collector's edition.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

$130 for the collector's edition o' an expansion to a 16-year-old game?  

we do always chuckle when we see the cloth map included in these things.  such stuff were once a staple... but why?

HA! Good Fun! 

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Yeah, $130' is a bit much. Atleast it also comes with the base game.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Yeah, $130' is a bit much. Atleast it also comes with the base game.

First I laughed.  Then I realized that was referencing a real situation.  Then I laughed harder.

Err, never mind, I misinterpreted that.  I was thinking of the recent Collectors Edition that didn't even come with the game itself.  I'm an idiot.

Nothing to see here.  Move along.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

A bit salty, but worth it for a copy of the original bg soundtrack that had eluded me and the dice.

Or, well, "worth it", but **** it, preordered.

• Like 1

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

$130 or $1.30, I'll pay attention once we've seen that they're capable of creating more than 30 minutes of original content with any quality. I'm sure there will be no end of player impressions on SoD once it is out. 

$130 or $1.30, I'll pay attention once we've seen that they're capable of creating more than 30 minutes of original content with any quality. I'm sure there will be no end of player impressions on SoD once it is out. 

bgee were still a bit buggy even six months after release.  as Gromnir almost always (kickstarters and console bundles being the only exceptions) waits six months or more to purchase a new title, am doubtful that sod will get a shorter wait.  

even so, am almost certain that we will buy sod... eventually.  what we saw in some teasers makes sod look more like an iwd expansion than a bg expansion.  good.  am honest having difficulty recalling the added narrative content from bgee.  more o' the stuff mc like, killing things in tunnels, is what we hope for from the expansion, and from what we have seen, that is what is being offered. still, inevitability o' our purchase doesn't mean we gotta be stoopid 'bout it.  wait.  wait means we get cheaper and more stable.  so why not wait?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

$130 sounds extortianate, I can buy all of the IE games off of GOG for less than that price, they all work out of the box and have a plethora of extras included equalling a collectors edition. A lazy cash grab that hopefully nobody will fall for.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

$130 is a lot for the collectors edition, and Im not buying it...  Although now I come to think of it, the pledge amount for a collectors edition of PoE was $140.  Of course when backing through Kickstarter its a slightly different story, but judging from the actual quality of the PoE collectors edition (for me personally, it was about what I expected, but not something that i'd pay $140 for from a store), it doesn't seem easy to produce a nice boxed version on a tight budget and maybe with small numbers the costs are quite high, so to make a reasonable profit it has to be placed at that sort of price... A little bit unfair to call it a "lazy cash grab" though in my opinion.

After all the digital standard edition is available for $20...  Though I do question the price of the digital delux edition more than the collectors version to be honest.  Twice the price of the standard edition just for a downloadable soundtrack? :/

• Like 1

Huh, I went to preorder this and it wasnt available on Steam. BG1EE & BG2EE were both available but not SoD. Maybe they will list it at another time.

The ce is supposed to come with a steam code, so I'd say that's a reasonable expectation.

$130 is a lot for the collectors edition, and Im not buying it...  Although now I come to think of it, the pledge amount for a collectors edition of PoE was $140.  Of course when backing through Kickstarter its a slightly different story, but judging from the actual quality of the PoE collectors edition (for me personally, it was about what I expected, but not something that i'd pay $140 for from a store), it doesn't seem easy to produce a nice boxed version on a tight budget and maybe with small numbers the costs are quite high, so to make a reasonable profit it has to be placed at that sort of price... A little bit unfair to call it a "lazy cash grab" though in my opinion.

After all the digital standard edition is available for $20...  Though I do question the price of the digital delux edition more than the collectors version to be honest.  Twice the price of the standard edition just for a downloadable soundtrack? :/

Personally I backed Poe at a higher level of donation because I wished to see what Obsidian could do when not pressed by a publishers demands, for that I recieved a new game, two expansions and a host of extras, approximately worth it I think. However I would never pay that much for a modification of a fifteen year old game, collectors edition of that mod or not, especially when as I have said I can buy the entire catalogue of IE games on GOG for less and recieve a host of extras for free.

Lazy cash grab seems positively charitable when taking into account these things, but then again there are more egregious fleecings occuring all the time, and more power to Beamdog if they can find suckers willing to pay this much for their mod.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

It is a modification of an old game, the title fits in my opinion. I would call Trilogy, Tutu or any one of a host of other products using the IE engine mods as well, there's nothing detrimental in that title in my eyes, and I have enjoyed quite a few.

• Like 1

Tea for the teapot!

Why are you labeling SoD a mod?

'cause "mod" sounds more dismissive?  trick question?  

am not thinking that fairness or accuracy were the goal.  

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

Mod, expansion, full game, call it whatever you want, but I hope anyone who wastes $130 preordering a new studio's first game already bought everything else in the world they could ever want.

Do you call all other expansions mods too?

It depends really, SoD is in a rather unique position being an expansion on a mod for a fifteen year old game, so the terminology used is up for interpretation. Then again I call Exult and Lazarus for the Ultima series mods, I call NWN2 adventures mods as well such as the remakes of Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate 2, so the term seems fitting, as they too add to a base game as well as add new content. There seems very little difference to me between them and Beamdog's games.

Edit: So no, just the ones that seem to be mods.

Edit #2: I have nothing against mods, I have enjoyed quite a few and admire the quality and dedication enacted, I would say that Fallout needs Fixt for a playthrough now, the Black Gate and Serpent Isle are much better with Exult etcetera. Calling the game a mod is by no means a bad thing, unless one doesn't like mods for whatever reason.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 1

Tea for the teapot!

Why are you labeling SoD a mod?

'cause "mod" sounds more dismissive? trick question?

am not thinking that fairness or accuracy were the goal.

HA! Good Fun!

There seems to be a complex pseudonarrative for it, at any rate.

And well, it was either the ce or more hookers and blow.

Honestly, I see this as no different from some of the kickstarters I've backed, similar team setup etc. Plus, frankly, bg1 soundtrack is worth almost the whole investment to me. :p

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Like 1

am not certain how far $130 will get you insofar as hookers and blow is concerned, so perhaps the ce for sod is the more enlightened option.  our imagination is getting the better of us at the moment as we envision snaggle-toothed prostitutes wasted on coke cut with bath salts. 

*shudder*

obviously Gromnir ain't the target audience for the sod ce. we suspect that beamdog would get far more ce purchasers with a more modest offering o' the collector's edition bundle o' an expansion for a +15-year-old game.... leonard nimoy's suspect business advice notwithstanding.  that being said, the ce extras is no worse than is typical o' collector's editions for more robust games. 

even so, sod looks to be a genuine expansion that will be offering a fair amount o' additional gameplay to the bg catalog.  without having played the title, am not gonna complain 'bout the $20 pricetag for sod and we sure ain't gonna try and convince folks that beamdog's efforts is little more than a mod.  $130  does strike us as a bit steep for the ce.

aside: nepenthe can acquire the original bg soundtracks by purchasing the $40 package, yes?  sure, you won't get the amulet, dice and cloth map at $40, but...

*shrug*

as we said, Gromnir is clear not beamdog's target purchaser for the ce.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1