What skills are the best to level up for each class in PotD?

I'm making a Paladin currently on PotD, and I figure using Athletics and Lore are best, but i'm not sure how much I should add? And I have a general idea of whats decent for each class, but specific numbers would be nice since i'm in PotD. Any help would be appreciated!

It strongly depends what you want to do with your paladin.

Stealth: If you want to use your Paladin as a quick switching Alpha-Striker with Flames-of-Devotion-shots from two or three guns, then I would recommend high Stealth (up to 8 maybe). Because: if you open the encounter from stealth with a FoD-shot, encounter will start AFTER the shot falls and you will still have two uses of FoD - which makes 3 uses for one fight. That can be quite important if you put all your effort in maxing out FoD damage. 

Athletics: don't need to be higher than 3 or 4, so don't waste too many points on that. You can go higher if you want to unlock Athletic-related dialogue- and scripted-sequence-options. Maybe in this case you need 5 or 6 (maybe somebody else knows better).

Lore is useful up to a value of 10 (or 8 if you have an item that gives +2 Lore - there are some). With 10 Lore you can use all scrolls there are. The dialogue options you get from high Lore stop at lower values - I think 6 but I'm not sure. In my opinion nobody needs more than 10 Lore.

Mechanics: I you want your paladin to be that traps and secrets guy, then you have to max this. There will be no room for other skills. If not - skip it entirely.

Survival: If you want to use consumables a lot (they are very powerful, but some people don't like the kerfuffle) then it's a great skill. If you don't want to use consumables, skip it. I recommend 8 or so.

I usually go for 8 (or 10) Lore, 8 Survival, 4 Athletics and the rest I put in Stealth. That's for a "normal" paladin who doesn't do anything with traps and locks of course. 

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

It strongly depends what you want to do with your paladin.

Stealth: If you want to use your Paladin as a quick switching Alpha-Striker with Flames-of-Devotion-shots from two or three guns, then I would recommend high Stealth (up to 8 maybe). Because: if you open the encounter from stealth with a FoD-shot, encounter will start AFTER the shot falls and you will still have two uses of FoD - which makes 3 uses for one fight. That can be quite important if you put all your effort in maxing out FoD damage. 

Athletics: don't need to be higher than 3 or 4, so don't waste too many points on that. You can go higher if you want to unlock Athletic-related dialogue- and scripted-sequence-options. Maybe in this case you need 5 or 6 (maybe somebody else knows better).

Lore is useful up to a value of 10 (or 8 if you have an item that gives +2 Lore - there are some). With 10 Lore you can use all scrolls there are. The dialogue options you get from high Lore stop at lower values - I think 6 but I'm not sure. In my opinion nobody needs more than 10 Lore.

Mechanics: I you want your paladin to be that traps and secrets guy, then you have to max this. There will be no room for other skills. If not - skip it entirely.

Survival: If you want to use consumables a lot (they are very powerful, but some people don't like the kerfuffle) then it's a great skill. If you don't want to use consumables, skip it. I recommend 8 or so.

I usually go for 8 (or 10) Lore, 8 Survival, 4 Athletics and the rest I put in Stealth. That's for a "normal" paladin who doesn't do anything with traps and locks of course. 

Interesting, didnt realize stealth would play into the mix. What about for any of the other classes, have any general recommendations?

For solo or team?

My solo Pally PoTD skillbuild is (starting background +1stealth +1 mechanic)

9 Stealth

3 Athletic

2 Lore

10 Mechanics

2 Survival

Plus ALL the situational +skill points that you can achieve when needed (standard rest PLUS the b*tches rest, items swap, consumable etc)

This is basically what I would suggest if you have an HEAVY metagaming knowledge of the game, otherwise you will need 12 mechanics on at least one character, and 3 athletic on everyone.

It's not that I don't like survival, indeed it's a very powerfull skill but in solo stealth it's still way more effective from my pov.
Edited by B4nJ0

I just tried this and it doesn't appear to work: I only had one FoD use left after my stealthed first strike. In 2.03.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Sometimes the encounter starts slightly before the shot falls. Then you'll only have one use left. It has to start after the shot falls. It's best to use an arbalest since it's range is longer. And maybe high DEX helps too. The shorter the animation the bigger the chance that the shot falls before encounter starts.

Same thing with all per-encounter-abilities that you can use out of combat: Tactical Meld, Tenious Grasp, Wounding Shot and so on.

I used this with two paladins and tried to start encounter with two FoD shots at the same time. If they have the same weapon type and the same DEX and you Pause while giving commands even that works.

Edited by Boeroer

Yeah, I tend to view such things as against the spirit of the rules, if not the how they're programmed. Like, in these situations, I think of if I was at a Tabletop, and if the GM would let me get away my 'interpretation' of the rules.

Doesn't mean I still won't use it, at least once for lolz. I had a great deal of fun with the OSA, 2x Retalation, Fire Godlike Barbarian with Jolting Touch scrolls on my 2nd playthrough. Which got fixed 4 times over, haha.

Edited by Teioh_White

• 4 weeks later...

Rogue = maxed mechanics. That's all there is to know. ;)

Why would you give a Rogue max mechanics? Isn't it much easier to give it to a front line character so you can search for traps in your usual formation? Also, I read that priests get acc bonuses from mechanics for their seal spells.

Rogue = maxed mechanics. That's all there is to know. ;)

Why would you give a Rogue max mechanics? Isn't it much easier to give it to a front line character so you can search for traps in your usual formation? Also, I read that priests get acc bonuses from mechanics for their seal spells.

That's been changed in the recent patches. The Cleric's trap spells are now considered Hazards instead, so Mechanics has no effect on their accuracy.

I would give rogue maxed mechanics because he can have the biggest bonus from the start. And if he's in front line or behind doesn't really matter for me. I don't run into areas like Usain Bolt if I didn't explore them before. :)

If your rogue is in the front while exploring and is stealthed he sees enemies before they see him - and the game pauses. So no danger there.  

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1