What do you think of my DPS Paladin build?

Hi everyone :)

Looking for some comments and suggestions.  Aiming for a heavy-hitting, 2-H Paladin, that also has the accuracy to actually land-hits, and the resolve for dialogue.

Might: 18
Con: 8
Dex: 12
Perc: 16
Int: 8
Res: 16

Ocean Folk, White Wends, Laborer

Thoughts?  My only thought was that perception may be too high, and would be better used bumping Dex or Con.

Thanks for your help!

For me CON would be ok at 8, but I would lower RES a bit and put it in DEX (if it's you main char). High PER is good - paladins only have mediocre ACC.

Also, for a DPS-Paladin, I also like to go for Island Aumau + Arms Bearer + Quick switch +  Intense Flames + 3 arquebuses + burning lash +  Weapon Focus Soldier + Scion of Flame + Forgemaster's Gloves. Then I add some Stealth. That way you can open the fight with a FoD-shot (for more than +100% burn damage, which is alot), then the encounter starts and you will still have 2 uses of FoD for the other two arquebuses. Then you switch to a Great Sword. If you need extra dps in tough fights, cast Firebrand. The low INT is not so good for that, but it's just a backup option, so... 

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I'd probably bump Con up to 10, Res down to 14 or 12 and Dex up by the rest. I don't like having low Int but I don't know the Paladin class well enough to tell if it'll hurt a DPS build much.

@Boeroer: huh, I didn't know you could use FoD pre-combat like that. That's a handy thing to know.

Hi everyone :)

Looking for some comments and suggestions.  Aiming for a heavy-hitting, 2-H Paladin, that also has the accuracy to actually land-hits, and the resolve for dialogue.

Might: 18

Con: 8

Dex: 12

Perc: 16

Int: 8

Res: 16

Ocean Folk, White Wends, Laborer

Thoughts?  My only thought was that perception may be too high, and would be better used bumping Dex or Con.

Thanks for your help!

I wouldn't dump anything on a Paladin.  That's just me.  I know you are going for a damage dealer Paladin but I would leave it at 10.  You are going to be on the front line and your Fort will be super mediocre  and its your second most import save.  I hate dumping INT too but I get it.  Although if you spec for Sacred Immolation its not going to have a good AOE.  and Sacred Immolation turns Paladins from being good Alpha Strikers to being able to put out good dps.  Granted it doesn't lessen your DPS technically it just lessens the AOE.

Also poisons are going to hurt a lot but its doable you will just have to rest more. 

I feel that Paladins are durable frontliners that where Plate most of the time.  If you are not using Flames of Devotion you are not going to be DPSing so your damage while not using FoD is average.  If you are using 2handers even with a 12 DEX you are to slow to be a serious damage dealer.  Their is a difference between an Alpha Striker and a damage dealer.  Its why I personally leave PER at 10.  Fod has a +20 ACC with a Weapon Focus and Zealous Focus its more then enough to reliably land hits and crits for the two actual hits that matter per round.  This my opine though as I use my Paladin as a durable frontliner capable of securing kills although his main job is party support and tanking.

PS I always play PoTD/ToI so this from my experience on that difficulty.

Edited by Torm51

Have gun will travel.

Two handed kind of sucks for paladin.

Flames of devotion is a full attack ability meaning to get full value out of it you need to dual wield. Dual sabers if you want max DPS.

Or if you want high deflection and still good offense. Dual hatchets.

Dump int. Int is useless except for aura radius. Even with low int you can still get a decent aura radius by using an overseeing ring and the boots that increase aura radius.

I would never take intense flames. 1 point for only +25% is really really terrible value.

Edited by Kilburn

Firebrand + 20 might + FoD + Intense Flames +  Savage Attack + Two Handed Style + Apprentice's Sneak Attack + Scion of Flame + Vulnerable Attack + Ryona's Vambraces =  monster burn damage from hell. :)

I think it's  29-44 * 2.55 * 1.2 + 8 = 96-143 for a normal hit and 184-278 for a crit (Firebrand is annihilating). Now substract burn-DR. These aren't exact or tested numbers. But it should be around that value.

Too bad FoD has only 2 uses per encounter (3 if you start encounter with FoD from stealth).  

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I'm with Torm51 on the not dump anything.

I'd keep a baseline of 10 for all stats.

For damage dealing dual sabres are good as are two handed weapons.

Something like:

Might 18

Con   10

Dex    15

Per    15

Int      10

Res    10

Kind Wayfarer for Strange Mercies or the one that gets the 50% DoT effect on FoD - I think its Goldpact

Dual wielding and Ruffian with an Island Aumaua would let you FoD alpha with a pistol or blunderbuss, switch to on crit spell effect stillettos with FoD to maybe get two spells activated and then swap to dual sabres to kill whatever remains. Stick to heavy plate for the DR.