Food for my settlements always seems to be an issue. I grow a bunch of stuff, but they still seem to be in the red when it comes to food.

Water is easy since you can just build water pumps to raise your score. Same with defense. But food is giving me a hell of a time.

I also still don't really get the point of power. Unless I need some to run a water pump that's in water, or to raise a recruitment antenna, I've seen no point to power.

Do you have enough settlers working the food? After so many planted foods, you'll need another person to work the food.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Food for my settlements always seems to be an issue. I grow a bunch of stuff, but they still seem to be in the red when it comes to food.

Water is easy since you can just build water pumps to raise your score. Same with defense. But food is giving me a hell of a time.

I also still don't really get the point of power. Unless I need some to run a water pump that's in water, or to raise a recruitment antenna, I've seen no point to power.

Do you have enough settlers working the food? After so many planted foods, you'll need another person to work the food.

Well that's another issue.  I have this one settlement with 20 people walking around.  I lose track of who is actually working on which vegetable because it doesn't say (that I can see) who is.  So maybe I'm allocating two workers to one plant, or maybe I'm missing a plant entirely.

In any case, how stupid are these settlers?  You shouldn't have to hand-hold them to even think maybe instead of sitting on a broken chair all day, they could harvest some corn without me commanding them to?

Speaking of lights, that's another thing that's giving me problems.  I built a generator for a settlement, then decided to build them one of those tiny outside lights.  It said it requires 1 thingy of energy, and the generator produces 3.  Yet, the light won't turn on.  And there's no option to "attach wire" like there was when I was connecting the generator to the recruitment antenna.

What gives?

If you look at the various things for Power, one of them includes the varieties of connectors? The power line pylons and such? Several of them are things you need to put on a house, and those you can connect the power lines to.  Anything within a certain radius of them that needs power in a house will then function, so depending on the size of the house, you might need to connect several together going around it.

In fact, this might help : http://www.gosunoob.com/fallout-4/how-to-power-up-a-house/

Those connectors and stuff confused me simply because the little write up that shows up when you're on the create an item screen only says so much.

I just wish if they're going to include this feature in their game, it wouldn't be so confusing about how to make them work.

Also, building a house is a chore, especially if you're trying to build around an existing structure that can't be torn down.  The walls and roofs never align properly, the floor floats in mid air, and the stairs don't seem to line up.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Food for my settlements always seems to be an issue.  I grow a bunch of stuff, but they still seem to be in the red when it comes to food.

Water is easy since you can just build water pumps to raise your score.  Same with defense.  But food is giving me a hell of a time.

I also still don't really get the point of power.  Unless I need some to run a water pump that's in water, or to raise a recruitment antenna, I've seen no point to power.

There is a shopping cart with melons and some gourd inside Super Duper Mart that respawns every now and then...

Apparently there's an achievement for having a happy settlement, and that pretty much requires things like working TV's connected to power, huge amounts of decorations as well as a whole bunch of level 3 Trader/Doctor stores.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

What do you need working TVs for if there is not tv program?

Please tell me there are no tv shows....

I don't know, I never built a tv. They show up under the .. Miscellaneous Power for building, and then you have to hook them up to the power like lights and such I believe?

So far its just a test pattern (hooked up my old TV set. 200+ years old and still working - that's craftmanship!)

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Built 5 matresses in the middle of the street for the squatters who came to take over my home and they thanked me for it. Then proceeded to completely surround the red rocked truck stop with bridge sections and built a commanding tower on the roof. So far no hostiles have gotten through, probably because they spawn too far away, but trashcan Carla's brahmin get's stuck in the barricade every once in a while. Once had a caravan guard doing the pathfinding error dance for several days until he simply vanished. Got a bum I found in Diamond City to come tend the garden. Happiness is in the high 80s, not sure what I did to merrit that. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Brahmin randomness is held down by putting brahmin feed stations in (cured my Brahmin-in-my-house problem).

But so far they haven't been in buildings when I put in feed troughs. We'll see if it lasts.

I don't know if it's because I put the beds in difficult to reach areas of a two-floor building, but I've seen groups of people in settlements standing in a mob around one sleeping bag at night.  One will lay down, the other 19 will just group around them and stand there.

Reminds me of hordes of zombies.  Doesn't help that they all turn toward me at the same time as I walk near.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I keep getting various adverts for 20-25% off the Fallout 4 Season Pass.  I have to say though, that after that ending, I really can't see any point in dropping another £20 down for more Bethesda dlc on that at the moment.  Maybe in a year when its all out and on serious sales, but until then...

With the ****ty dialouge system I don't actually hold out much hope that anything they put out is going to measure up to what I would consider an RPG. It feels like they took 1\2 borderlands and 1\2 fallout 3 and mixed it up, for better or worse. The gunplay is much better. An RPG though is more than items and levels. 

What's the point of talking to anyone when what you say so rarely matters. 

• Like 5

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

With the ****ty dialouge system I don't actually hold out much hope that anything they put out is going to measure up to what I would consider an RPG. It feels like they took 1\2 borderlands and 1\2 fallout 3 and mixed it up, for better or worse. The gunplay is much better. An RPG though is more than items and levels. 

It wouldn't be so bad if it even allowed for the illusion of complexity but the conversations are written and recorded in such a way that it can only seem jarring.

I've also noticed conversations feel short because they're all one way through, you rarely get to ask more than one question before the conversation moves on.  I normally admire this, it forces you to live with your choices but in Fallout 4 there are no conversation 'paths' so they're just denying you exposition for no good reason, might as well let us ask all the questions.

Edited by WDeranged

Well that's another issue.  I have this one settlement with 20 people walking around.  I lose track of who is actually working on which vegetable because it doesn't say (that I can see) who is.  So maybe I'm allocating two workers to one plant, or maybe I'm missing a plant entirely.

In any case, how stupid are these settlers?  You shouldn't have to hand-hold them to even think maybe instead of sitting on a broken chair all day, they could harvest some corn without me commanding them to?

They seem to start working crops eventually by themselves.

In any case, when you look at a plant in workshop-mode, it shows the pipboy-icon in red if no one is assigned to it. Also, looking at settlers will also highlight the stuff they're assigned to (which isn't very useful unless they're standing close to them). One settler can work 6 plants.

Personally I don't think Bethesda's games are really RPGs in the right sense.

But I long ago classed Bethesda games as their own entity. They are Bethesda Games and they do Bethesda Game stuff.

• Like 1

That was one of the first things I noticed about FO4.  The dialogue is just there to be there.

It kind of goes hand in hand with my complaint about the NPCs not really having much to say compared to other RPGs, and your player character not really adding much or pressing them on the stuff they do say.

It's a very, very watered down dialogue system this time around.

• Like 1