Start of old thread

End of old thread

Yeah I don't really get why I keep insisting I'm looking for an infant. I know I was in cryofreeze, I know some time passed after the kid was taken. My character is clearly an idiot.

I remember looking for Daddy in Fallout 3... never found him :(

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I don't recall specific verbiage about looking for an infant; there is a constant use of "mah baby!" but distressed moms will call even adult children their baby.

That said a lot of the reaction stuff complaint for the previous thread is fair; companions seem to not really pay much attention to what is actually going on around them in any real strong way.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Just curious:

Before release I made a bet with a guy on the Bethesda forums that the USS Constitution atop the bank with rocket engines attached would have no rational explanation, and that that little instance should be our first warning sign to expect more of Bethesda's "rule of cool" writing. This guy said I was wrong, should have faith in Bethesda and that there's sure to be some logical, highly plot-relevant story (side quest or main) as to how it got there and why it got there. I was willing to buy him a copy of FO4 if he was right, whereas I'd want my copy if I was right.

Doesn't matter now since I've no way of contacting the guy with no forum access, but I'm curious to know who won this bet.

• Like 2

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Is there a reason Sanctuary Hills gets attacked by Raiders more than any other settlement?  I swear every second mission from Preston is about Sanctuary Hills in need of my help.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Sanctuary Hills has yet to be attacked in my game.

Mind you I over-did the defenses I think...

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

How "rational" do you want to get in a game with giant mosquitoes and super mutants.

Just because there are some fantastical elements doesn't mean you can throw away logic. 

Edited by Sakai
  • Like 2

food + water lower than defense?

It's much better equipped/stocked than any other settlement I have.  So that can't be the reason.  On settlement currently has 13 people there, but I haven't even equipped it with a single defense.  It's never been attacked.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Yes, it gets a bit annoying that a settlement with a Defense score of 140+ and a population of 14-20 keeps having to call you and only you to defend them. Because if you aren't there they'll lose. And then you have to go around repairing everything.

However, as long as you just happen to be at the location, without taking a single shot at the enemy yourself, the defences will slaughter whoever is attacking.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

How "rational" do you want to get in a game with giant mosquitoes and super mutants.

Just because there are some fantastical elements doesn't mean you can throw away logic. 

My thoughts exactly.

My point with that bet was that if you compare the original Fallouts to Bethesda's take, the original Fallouts were more or less logically sound and consistent with what you would expect of actual people in real life and their motives, the ONLY differing factor being "what if the 1950's perception of the future and sciences regarding radiation were true?" That specific aspect is where suspension of disbelief is requested from you, but basic human nature and societal structures? Those are more or less in tact and the games attempt to provide as realistic an imitation as possible of how real life societies and communities are formed and shaped.

With Bethesda's take, it's just hardcore Sci-Fi with aliens, androids and all sorts of stuff that either makes no logical sense (why make synths?) or detracts from the motif of the series. (aliens do nothing to contribute to the theme of mankind's struggle with itself) My bet was more or less that the rockets on the USS Constitution would have ZERO explanation for why they're there and at best someone would say "some kooky whackjob scientist attached those years ago and no one knows what happened to him," and that that would be a telltale sign that Bethesda's writing style and interpretation of Fallout as a series absolutely hasn't changed. Were it to have an explanation that actually made some form of rational sense, then it'd be a sign they've improved.

Anyways, it's no big deal since I'm familiar enough with the MAIN plot of the game to know that nothing's changed in that regard, so in the grand scope of things, this little sample with the USS Constitution is no longer relevant. It's just something I remembered today and I thought I'd ask if there's a good explanation for it or not. Not like the bet will actually be fulfilled or anything, it's just my natural curiousity that drove me to ask.

Edited by Longknife

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Yes, it gets a bit annoying that a settlement with a Defense score of 140+ and a population of 14-20 keeps having to call you and only you to defend them. Because if you aren't there they'll lose. And then you have to go around repairing everything.

However, as long as you just happen to be at the location, without taking a single shot at the enemy yourself, the defences will slaughter whoever is attacking.

I think it's a bad game design decision.  I'm perfectly fine with the "go help this settlement" quests the first time around.  But the way it works, it's just tedious and annoying.

It's one thing if they tell you their defenses are strong enough and you don't build them stuff, so you have to come help them when they're under attack.  It's something else when they're Fort Knox and you still have to show up because a handful of level 1 raiders with pipe pistols is threatening them.

Yes. and when you get told that the same settlement is being threatened by raiders at a location you've already cleared 7 or 8 times (about half of them for the same damn settlement).

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

My thoughts exactly.

My point with that bet was that if you compare the original Fallouts to Bethesda's take, the original Fallouts were more or less logically sound and consistent with what you would expect of actual people in real life and their motives, the ONLY differing factor being "what if the 1950's perception of the future and sciences regarding radiation were true?" That specific aspect is where suspension of disbelief is requested from you, but basic human nature and societal structures? Those are more or less in tact and the games attempt to provide as realistic an imitation as possible of how real life societies and communities are formed and shaped.

With Bethesda's take, it's just hardcore Sci-Fi with aliens, androids and all sorts of stuff that either makes no logical sense (why make synths?) or detracts from the motif of the series. (aliens do nothing to contribute to the theme of mankind's struggle with itself) My bet was more or less that the rockets on the USS Constitution would have ZERO explanation for why they're there and at best someone would say "some kooky whackjob scientist attached those years ago and no one knows what happened to him," and that that would be a telltale sign that Bethesda's writing style and interpretation of Fallout as a series absolutely hasn't changed. Were it to have an explanation that actually made some form of rational sense, then it'd be a sign they've improved.

Anyways, it's no big deal since I'm familiar enough with the MAIN plot of the game to know that nothing's changed in that regard, so in the grand scope of things, this little sample with the USS Constitution is no longer relevant. It's just something I remembered today and I thought I'd ask if there's a good explanation for it or not. Not like the bet will actually be fulfilled or anything, it's just my natural curiousity that drove me to ask.

If you want a real kick in the nuts, the USS Constitution quest is the only one I've encountered with actual skill checks  :biggrin:

About had enough of these settlements coming under attack, especially when I'm not notified until I get the failed message. I have 200+ defense in Sanctuary and it fails when I'm not there. Why am I investing in turrets, personnel and walls if it fails when I'm not there? They need to to something about this or someone needs to make a mod where your worthless settlers can handle it on their own.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

As far as I can remember, raiders started attacking my locations *after* I increased the defense. Before that, nobody ever cared to bother me with "defend the town!" stuff.

If you want a real kick in the nuts, the USS Constitution quest is the only one I've encountered with actual skill checks  happy0203.gif

But the game doesn't even have skills. :o

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

The more I hear about this game the more it sounds like 'Fallout 4: Settlement Management Simulator' and that sounds incredibly boring. I mean I like a simulation game or city builder from time to time but I don't see the need to shoehorn one into Fallout but maybe that's just me. :huh:

• Like 1

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

It may become mandatory eventually, but I got bored and quit the game before even building a single settlement, and I get the impression that I could have gone on a lot longer without doing it if I had the desire to. I suppose that counts as both a bit of praise and a bit of damnation, but the point I guess is that for the ones who like to just explore places without being nailed down by the settlement minigame, I believe the game is fully playable that way.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I think the settlements are Bethesda's attempt to get the Sims's crowd.  Either way, they're definitely more annoying than fun.

Speaking of which, I just can't seem to get my companions to open up to me.  The only one that's opened up enough to give me their personal quest is Cait.  Piper has talked a lot, but she doesn't seem to have a quest (that I've gotten).  The others just don't talk.