[CLASS BUILD] The Leech (barbarian time bandit tank)

Nobody said that. It's not tested yet for >2.03. Spelltongue still works and so do all of the other mechanics of this build (it's not like the Backlash Beldam build which doesn't work anymore because they nerfed retaliation + focus gaining so hard). But it seems that Spelltongue's buff stealing was nerfed a bit against enemies who are not buffed - so maybe it's not as universally powerful as it used to be. On the other hand now we have camping bonuses like up to 60% healing received - or +15 ACC against certain groups - which could lead to an even better performance of this build. I will do a test as soon as I have the time and then update my older builds. I don't know if I can edit my older class builds. If not I will post a new one with an update tag and a link to the old posts.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Nobody said that. It's not tested yet for >2.03. Spelltongue still works and so do all of the other mechanics of this build (it's not like the Backlash Beldam build which doesn't work anymore because they nerfed retaliation + focus gaining so hard). But it seems that Spelltongue's buff stealing was nerfed a bit against enemies who are not buffed - so maybe it's not as universally powerful as it used to be. On the other hand now we have camping bonuses like up to 60% healing received - or +15 ACC against certain groups - which could lead to an even better performance of this build. I will do a test as soon as I have the time and then update my older builds. I don't know if I can edit my older class builds. If not I will post a new one with an update tag and a link to the old posts.

Ok cool, look forward to seeing that.

• Like 1

It's just one folder. Everything is in it (talents, spells, items - all game objects). Just open the folder ../PillarsOfEternity_Data/assetbundles/prefabs/objectbundle (this is on Linux - can't say if an installation with Windows has the same structure) and do a search like "*spelltongue*.*" and you will find every item you want. Or start a search with "*sword*.*" to get all swords listed.

There are a few exceptions where developers' typos are involved (like "foregemasters_gloves" instead of "forgemasters_gloves") or where the names might have changed during development ("px2_giants_skull" instead of "px2_maegfolc_skull") - but mostly it's easy to find stuff. Your attempt maybe didn't work because you have to add a number after naming the item so the console knows how many of it you want to have.

For example:

additem dagger_drawn_in_spring 1

in order to get one Drawn in Spring dagger.

Or 

additem px1_rapier_spelltongue 2

to get two Spelltongues.

All the console commands are case insensitive by the way. You may type "AddItem" or "additem" - doesn't matter (even on Linux. ;))

Two other good commands to test stuff are "unlockallmaps" and "addExperienceToLevel 16" (or 12 or 14 or whatever level you like).

I couldn't find it in the folder, must be one of those examples with a typo in the name.

px1_rapier_spelltongue

That's the name you have to use in the console:

1.: iroll20s

2.: additem px1_rapier_spelltongue 1

It will appear in the first free slot in your characters' inventory, not the stash (except there is no free slot in your inventory). 

Edited by Boeroer

I must have miskeyed last time when I typed Spelltongue in, I was a foolish fool (teach me to type things in drunk). I'll play around with the weapon after my current build to see if I want to make a barb that way, currently I want to finish that to make my own solo PotD fighter class build. Ideally I'm looking to make a solo no respec PotD build for each class, whether I'll achieve it or not is hard to say. Further, they are harder to test, as I feel you really need to play from beginning to end to get know whether you can solo it properly (obviously late game I could just try these challenges with a created character, but that doesn't mean early game they would work), and ideally I'd want each to defeat the big boss monsters such as the Alpine Dragon and Llengrath.

I'll see how it goes.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Is spelltongue bugged in 3.03 or something? I'm finding it permanently increases abilities' durations (to the point that after 2-3 fights I can retire spelltongue as now all my **** lasts 90+ seconds). 

The reason I'm asking is that I'm pretty sure I've used it in a couple fights before the issue manifested itself, and, as I use cheats a lot for respeccing and such (kinda necessary when every build I try eventually turns out to be reliant on something that doesn't actually work), I'm wondering if I haven't broken something myself (not that it makes much sense).

Hmm, I'm inclined to think it is a glitch of some kind specific to your save. Trying it out for a bit, Spelltongue does seem to work normally for me, subsequent effects have the duration they should have. The effect should affect only effects active when it hits anyway, not anything that's activated afterwards.

Why are you using cheats? You can always retrain at an inn - or did you mean the console? That one I used excessively without breaking anything so far. I also think it's a corrupted savegame.

Still seeing this in a new game on a fresh install. Not all abilities seem to be affected, though. Frenzy is and savage defiance isn't, for example. Also, it only permanently extends the duration of abilities belonging to the character using spelltongue, not buffs received from other sources. Respeccing the character (or removing and re-adding the ability in question via console) restores the original duration.

Oh well, at this point I'm getting used to the idea that being teased with cool stuff that's bugged beyond usability is a core aspect of the PoE experience.

Still seeing this in a new game on a fresh install. Not all abilities seem to be affected, though. Frenzy is and savage defiance isn't, for example. Also, it only permanently extends the duration of abilities belonging to the character using spelltongue, not buffs received from other sources. Respeccing the character (or removing and re-adding the ability in question via console) restores the original duration.

Oh well, at this point I'm getting used to the idea that being teased with cool stuff that's bugged beyond usability is a core aspect of the PoE experience.

Make a bug report, and mention it in the 3.04 patch thread (the thread where they're accumulating current bugs to fix, probably for the last time). Hopefully they'll get it sorted in the next patch.

Which abilities have you found to be affected by it, and which not? (beyond the ones you already mentioned) And could you upload a savegame where your Barbarian is exhibiting this (using SendSpace or something)? Then I can dig through the code and might be able to figure out what's going on; as Jojobobo says there is still one patch coming, and if I can provide the devs with details on the underlying cause that would considerably improve the chances of it getting fixed (also, I like the challenge :) ).

Edited by Loren Tyr
  • Like 1

I've experimented with it a bit, I can easily reproduce the issue so it is indeed clearly not specific to your installation or savegame (so never mind uploading your savegame). Fortunately it also works when stealing duration from allies, so I just have to dump some food into Eder and stab him a bit with Spelltongue for it to manifest. 

What I've learned so far is that an ability needs to be active when the Spelltongue effect is applied; as long as Frenzy is off, you can attack with Spelltongue as much you want but the duration stays exactly as it's supposed to be. Which makes sense, since Spelltongue only modifies duration of active effects, for Frenzy it just seems to affect the base duration (or maybe a DurationOverride, not sure yet), rather than (just) the current duration. Why this happens to Frenzy but not other effects (not Savage Defiance, as you said, and so far not Veteran's Recovery either) I'm not sure. I'll do some more testing and checking of code later to see if I can find a meaningful pattern, see what differentiates affected and unaffected abilities (and whether it is Barbarian-specific, but I very much doubt that). 

Edit:

Hmm, it's becoming more of a question why Veteran's Recovery and Savage Defiance aren't affected, really (maybe because they affect Endurance, though I haven't seen an obvious reason in the code so far as to why that would matter). Outlander's Frenzy, Unbending, Vigorous Defense and Disciplined Barrage all are affected as well (and it's not Barbarian-specific, obviously). Also of note, the target doesn't get his Frenzy duration (or whatever) permanently reduced. Both the reduction on the target and the increase on the wielder use the same AdjustStatusEffectDuration function, though the SkipOverride flag is set to true for the reduction but to false for the increase. If set to true only the Duration parameter is modified, but if set to false the DurationOverride value is changed as well...

... and as it turns out the GenericAbility of Savage Defiance has its DurationOverride set to zero and its Duration set directly on the StatusEffect, whereas for example Disciplined Barrage has the duration in the DurationOverride of the GenericAbility. Starting to make sense now...

... sense-making complete. Just adding ", true" in the appropriate spot should do the trick. I'll dump one of my characteristically long-winded write-ups in the Tech forum tonight/tomorrow, with link to it from the 3.04 patch thread.

Edited by Loren Tyr
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

Now, one idea that struck me was a more offensive version of the leech, but since that isn't much to talk about I thought it might be nice to try to combine this build with Fulemino Prondoni. Will be the first time I'll use wild sprint... Turns out you can even upgrade it. Also frenzy obviously gives a nice speed bonus as well, with spelltounge it will be constant. Wild Sprint Bonus should be as well (?), resulting in a constant +33% attack speed from frenzy and +6.5 move speed from greater sprint and fast runner (10.5 move speed with boots and sugar!), while running around not being stopped by engagement.

How viable is the son of Fulemino and the Leech? And both specifically about the child but really about offensive spell tounge barbarian in general... I'll go for dual wielding to get up the damage, so what should be my second weapon? I thought maybe some soulbound since WF noble is not that great for a barbarian... Or no WF and go with gallants? A combo of Godshanthyr and spelltounge maybe...

Thanks for any answers :)

Edited by Ben No.3

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

Lack of a nice weapon... For secondary weapon, I'd like to focus on damage, and the only heavier weapon of WF noble is a Mace, which lacks good uniques imo (well... maybe ravenwing...)

Edited by Ben No.3

Everybody knows the deal is rotten

Old Black Joe's still pickin' cotton

For your ribbons and bows

And everybody knows

The best 1h dps weapon is Drawn in Spring - which is a dagger.

The March Steel Dagger has speed and is also great because you can get it early.

So: rapier & dagger is a good setup for DPS because of those.

The Sword if Deanysis has rending and speed, which is a great combination for dps. But two rapiers looks kinda awkward...

Mosquito has a tremendous interrupt value of 0.75 sec which is amazing for a fast weapon (which normally have 0.35 sec). And it has draining. It is smaller than most other unique rapiers and doesn't look as weird as a second weapon in the offhand.

If you combine mace and rapier the vailian style militia will come and throw you into a pit filled with cheap copies of Finreah's Grace. ;)

• Like 3

Well I'd say Mosquito is flat out best being a dagger and all, if you duplicate it with Helwax I don't even wanna begin to imagine what a barbarian with carnage will do to whole encounters if built for attack speed and interrupt.