[CLASS BUILD] The Leech (barbarian time bandit tank)

Has anyone tested the viability of triggering fighting spirit as a human with this build by chance? I assume if you let your barbarian go below 50% endurance on purpose, spelltongue would keep the bonus active indefinitely. For nature godlikes it apparently wouldn't work, since their ability is tied directly to their endurance pool. Also a wild orlan with defiant resolve should work as well, given a will attack source?

Also, for those who don't care to switch weapons constantly, why not simply dual wield spelltongue with sword of daenysis or march steel dagger? Wouldn't durgan steel enhanced weapons, one with attack speed steal, the other with attack speed bonus, two weapon style, forgemasters gloves, frenzy, bloodlust, potions etc. give you enough speed to still use vulnerable attack and/or armor?

If I remember well, frenzy doesn't stack with other speed buffs (potions included).

It doesn't stack with spells and potions, but does with item enchants and talents IIRC.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

But remember that the +20% attack speed of the Sword of Daenysis is only for the recovery time of that weapon. +20% from Dual Wielding would apply to both of course.

It would be a good setup I think. But one thing I don't like about dual rapiers is the look. I only like daggers or bucklers for fencing weapons. It's a pity that there are no interfering daggers (+5 defl. like hatchets) in the game. Would make sense.

However - I found that the attack speed of Spelltongue with a shield was good enough for leeching and that this setup had a good balance between speed and defense. Your problem will probably not be your endurance, but your health if you get hit/crit too often.

And also I wanted to do something different - as always. ;)

The Sword of Daenysis I gave to my monk (Fulmineo Prodroni) - and at least with the weapons and armors I want to spread them over my builds so that in theory you could play them all in one party without sharing these things.

The quetion concenring Fighting Spirit is a good one. I also thought about that and somebody else asked that some days ago. I have no idea to be honest. I didn't have the time yet to test that. I will do eventually... if nobody else steps in. ;)

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

• 2 weeks later...

I will next test if Fighting Spirit (human) and Defiant Resolve (wild orlan) can be prolonged with Spelltongue. Since I can't edit my initial posting, I will write down the outcomings here. :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Good news: Fighting Spirit (human) and Defiant Resolve (wild orlan) both get prolonged by Spelltongue's Time Siphon enchantment.

What doesn't work: The duration of the on-kill-effects of the Blood Tempered Helmet don't benefit from this. Don't know why.

So my advice is that instead of a pale elf you take a human for better ACC and damage or a wild orlan for better defenses. Pale elf is still viable of course. I took it mainly because you can get 20 DEX with it.   

Edited by Boeroer

• 1 month later...

What do you think of the idea of this build but dual-wielding spelltongue with Unlabored Blade?

You'd get really high attack speed for a lot of leeching and a lot Firebug triggers. You wouldn't have a shield but I think you'd be able to wear fullplate and have almost no recovery with vulnerable attack on if plate and spelltongue are both durganized, which on top of the +10 defenses and healing should give you pretty good survivability.

Edit: Does spelltongue even work any more? I'm testing it and my durations don't increase when I hit people with it.

Edited by limaxophobiacq

Edit: Does spelltongue even work any more? I'm testing it and my durations don't increase when I hit people with it.

I'd like to know. I did some test with a cipher build. Based on this thread I expected to be able to extend the duration of his buff by attacking but it didn't work (3.0 beta)

That being said when I read the spelltongue description it doesn't look like it is supposed to extend the duration of your own buff but steal the one the target has so I guess is was a bug that got fixed

Hey guys.

Maybe they nerfed this in 3.0 beta and 3.0. It was quite overpowered on a barb. I didn't test that.

With 2.03 it worked like described in the opening post. As I said above Spelltongue also stole duration for your buffs when the enemy didn't have any (visible) buffs. Maybe they fixed that so that it only works if the enemy really has some "active" buffs on and not if they are just plain old trashmobs? I believe that there are always some kinds of "internal" buffs on enemies that give them special abilities but were not intended to count as "real" buffs like priest's spells and so on - similar to all the gear that enemies wear that you can't loot but which gives them special DR or abilities (Ice trolls have an invisibe second chance armor, skeleton fighters have an unvisible armor...).

Or did the descpription of the blade also change so that it merely steals attack speed now?

However - I will try to test this in the coming days and tell you what happened.   

How early in the game can you find spelltongue? I can see this build working great on melee cipher with all that stat drains and buffs. If it really extends the duration of all buffs you could make immortal character with 5 regens, 10 buffs from various classes etc.

Edited by nemesis205bw

Keep in mind that the barb is (or was) ideal because he could steal multiple times with one strike because of carnage. I tried this with a 0-recovery-wizard and it's much harder to steal enough duration so that buffs never wear off.

Once you get to the WM you can get it. You just have to defeat some Lagufaeth.

Edited by Boeroer

There is a new helmet that may be better for this in WM2. Found on some bandits available immediately upon starting WM2 in Whitestone Hollow.

Executioner's Hood

+20 endurance per kill

+5 melee accuracy for 5 sec when missed by an attack

Intimidating presence (passive) - fear aura

Well in theory - but it wasn't enough. As I said in the build description above: It also worked on non buffed enemies but didn't steal 5 secs but less. Don't know why. With carnage that was still enough to keep the buffs running. With the wizard and Alacrity and stuff it wasn't. Taht wasn't too bad for the wizard because he also has Draining Wall wich works well together with Spelltongue.

Also: dual wielding will make Spelltongue hit less often than if you would use it with a shield or one-handed. Despite the higher attack speed it would only hit every second attack. I don't think you can be that much faster itch dual wielding to make up for this. Kaylon will knoww more about that. :)

You can of course duplicate it with that new stronghold item (Something Mold). That would be quite hilarious - I wonder if the attack speed buff would stack...

Nice build, You have many great ideas, really appreciated.

Just one question about suppression of afflictions: in my game it suspends only already putted hostile effects on character, not possible to cast suppression before debuffs and really stopped further effects.

Or I don't understand Your idea in proper way.

If it is possible , pls explain.

greetings

Edited by Gs11

In my experience (tested this again the other day before 3.0), if Spelltongue prolonged the duration of Suppress Affliction is was like it had been recast on me - and maybe that's the way the devs handle this "stealing" internally: they just add the same buff with 5 seconds so it automatically prolongs the duration of the buff that's already on you. So each time you hit with Spelltonge and steal 5 seconds duration for Auppress Affliction it's like the Spell has been cast again on you (for 5 additional seconds). Seems like they don't have a method to directly set the duration of actiuve effects after they get applied - or they didn't pre 3.0.

I had several afflictions like hobbled and weakened and stuff from some Ogre Druids and when I hit them again the suddenly all those afflictions got a "suppressed" message. Don't know if it still works that way in 3.0 though. But this will be easy to test I guess. 3.0 fixed a lot of those gamebreaking tricks (like stacking Disorienting like hell) so maybe the magic is gone. ;) 

• 1 month later...

I was having a think about this build and the idea I mentioned elsewhere of trying this with Triggered Immunity (which as Boeroer pointed out wouldn't work so well with a Fighter as you're not hitting enough enemies). However, would Spelltongue work with Torment's Reach to hit more enemies? MaxQuest's post here seems to suggest the AoE works with some weapon effects, and Monk's already have great defensive effects like Crucible of Suffering - plus Ryona's Breastplate can give them Triggered Immunity. Definitely worth a test.

• Like 1

Just thinking : has anyone ever tried to create a party revolving around short duration buff and priest spell Salvation of Time ?

It revolves around the same principles except effect extension comes from an AoE spell so you can use short duration effects from any class.

Of course, Salvation of time is a limited ressource, so it would be nice mostly for boss fights. But for me it has potential to be a gamechanger with some infamous abilities like triggered immunity, hardened veil, inspiring radiance and well... good old humans.

• 2 months later...

I was curious, is this build still working post-3.0 or did they take away the effect stacking - it never really seemed like that was cleared up in the thread? I was looking to make a 3.03 high health Barbarian with lots of healing after figuring out that a 26 Con Barbarian has 3000ish health at level 16, effectively 4200 with Wound Binding. The easiest way to get ridiculous heals as far as I can tell would be using Spelltongue, Savage Defiance and Veteran's Recovery - but if the never ending boosts no longer work then I might have to look at other sources for my jollies.

Edited by Jojobobo

Finding codes for weapons can be a pain, so I thought it would be easier to ask. I'm far too lazy to go digging through all the games folders to fine the console name for Spelltongue, plus last time when I tried to get anything via console in game it didn't work for some reason despite other commands working (using AddItem and this list for the non-WM codes, though maybe I was missing something).

Edited by Jojobobo

It's just one folder. Everything is in it (talents, spells, items - all game objects). Just open the folder ../PillarsOfEternity_Data/assetbundles/prefabs/objectbundle (this is on Linux - can't say if an installation with Windows has the same structure) and do a search like "*spelltongue*.*" and you will find every item you want. Or start a search with "*sword*.*" to get all swords listed.

There are a few exceptions where developers' typos are involved (like "foregemasters_gloves" instead of "forgemasters_gloves") or where the names might have changed during development ("px2_giants_skull" instead of "px2_maegfolc_skull") - but mostly it's easy to find stuff. Your attempt maybe didn't work because you have to add a number after naming the item so the console knows how many of it you want to have.

For example:

additem dagger_drawn_in_spring 1

in order to get one Drawn in Spring dagger.

Or 

additem px1_rapier_spelltongue 2

to get two Spelltongues.

All the console commands are case insensitive by the way. You may type "AddItem" or "additem" - doesn't matter (even on Linux. ;))

Two other good commands to test stuff are "unlockallmaps" and "addExperienceToLevel 16" (or 12 or 14 or whatever level you like).

Edited by Boeroer