A bit of a disappointment but at the same time a great RPG

I believe he's referring to the release of Baldurs Gate, to current time. Meaning, they had 17 years since then to "find a perfect formula".

I do understand what he's referring to, but it's just not correct. In 3 years or so, Obsidian designed, built and balanced a brand new RPG system. While the system itself is heavily based on Dungeons and Dragons, it's not Dungeons and Dragons and draws inspiration from a lot of other sources as well and doing all of those things is actually a pretty huge deal of work. The system itself realistically only exists 3 years, and has been released to the 'wild' about a year ago. That's a lot less than 17 years. I'm not particularly happy about archangel979 downplaying Obsidian's work.

The system itself realistically only exists 3 years, and has been released to the 'wild' about a year ago. That's a lot less than 17 years.

I would be willing to bet that PoE's system has been sitting in one of JES folders for years, waiting the opportunity. But I get your point.

I believe he's referring to the release of Baldurs Gate, to current time. Meaning, they had 17 years since then to "find a perfect formula".

I do understand what he's referring to, but it's just not correct. In 3 years or so, Obsidian designed, built and balanced a brand new RPG system. While the system itself is heavily based on Dungeons and Dragons, it's not Dungeons and Dragons and draws inspiration from a lot of other sources as well and doing all of those things is actually a pretty huge deal of work. The system itself realistically only exists 3 years, and has been released to the 'wild' about a year ago. That's a lot less than 17 years. I'm not particularly happy about archangel979 downplaying Obsidian's work.

You what precedes development? Thinking! That part that is in small supply in this topic. And they had 14 years for that. So if they could not use 14 years of collected thought and experience + 3 years of development to make at least as interesting system, that is not downplaying Obsidian work, that is stating facts.

EDIT: OK, it is not a fact but I am more than allowed to state such an opinion.

Edited by archangel979

You what precedes development? Thinking! That part that is in small supply in this topic. And they had 14 years for that. So if they could not use 14 years of collected thought and experience + 3 years of development to make at least as interesting system, that is not downplaying Obsidian work, that is stating facts.

Thinking is great and all, and I'm sure Gfted is right and the system has largely been conceived a lot sooner than with beginning of development of Pillars of Eternity. But when it comes to actual implementation, thinking just doesn't cut it. You throw your thoughts on a paper and then they go trough repeated peer review, revisions and changes until it becomes more than just 'thoughts'. The moment you start realizing your thoughts it'll inevitably turn out that half of them were **** and the other half won't quite work as well as you'd think, the process is just not nearly as simple - I should know, I worked in software analysis for years.

Looks like it's going to be impossible for this particular thread to escape the swamp.

Remember guys, our guideline is simple. Criticise anything you want, debate opinions in strong terms if you want. Don't attack people. Calling people idiots, trolls, blathering buffoons, Donald Trump supporters, or whatever else - even if you, in all your wisdom, think it is 100% true for sure - just leads to a kind of forum that nobody wants to read, in the end. Be nice! OK, so that's a bit extreme. Be a little nicer! :) 

• Like 1