Why can we loot the NPCs?

In Wizardry 8 you could loot some NPC's when they joined your party, others would prevent you from removing any of the items from their inventory. Some NPC's are important to the story, others are not; so the loot option seemed to reflect that.

Ah but then back with Dragon Warrior 3 you could recruit NPC's (soldiers), sell their stuff, rinse and repeat until you're tired of making money.

Although in PoE you can kill any character so even if an NPC prevented you from taking their stuff while alive... just murder 'em. So, what's the point?

In Wizardry 8 you could loot some NPC's when they joined your party, others would prevent you from removing any of the items from their inventory. Some NPC's are important to the story, others are not; so the loot option seemed to reflect that.

Ah but then back with Dragon Warrior 3 you could recruit NPC's (soldiers), sell their stuff, rinse and repeat until you're tired of making money.

Although in PoE you can kill any character so even if an NPC prevented you from taking their stuff while alive... just murder 'em. So, what's the point?

If you kill them, make it so the item dont drop or say "only useable by Eder". etc.

You know if you just go around recruiting everyone and selling their magical gear you make like 5k gold? (I dont know if its actually 5k,but it's a lot). Which is an oversight in my opinion.

The special gear they have (Saints war mail for example) should DEFINITELY only be usable by that NPC.

The rest of their gear IMO should be downgraded to nonmagical stuff so I cant go and pawn Kana's magical Estoc for stupid amounts of early game gold.

Edited by Kilburn

If you sell everyones stuff then you are likely not keeping that NPC in your party I assume. Cause if you keep them then the cost of replacing their gear yields a monetary loss. However, if you just get rid of the NPC then the rewards for taking part in their story is also lost, which is not a good ROI, in my opinion.

Also, there is a quest in Defiance Bay where one guy wants you to retrieve the family Breastplate that some other a-hole is wearing. PoE doesn't really seem like the "only usable by this NPC" kinda place.

I think the point he made was a very good one and I understood it completely.

Right, I was going to link to some other threads around here talking about how there is far too much money available in the game even after all the Stronghold upgrades; but I got lazy lol

Although it was mentioned that the 5,000-ish gold can be made early on, whereas players are not really swimming in cash until mid-game at the earliest. Unless WM1 gives more cash early? I haven't bought the expansion yet, I'm waiting for part 2.

You're swimming in money even without selling gear of your companions, what other benefit would preventing player from changing their equipment serve than be annoying?

This. By the end of the game I had a fully upgraded stronghold, owned every unique item for sale that I wanted and I still had over 200,000cp spare. There's very little to be gained from selling your companions starting gear.

Now I made a self-imposed restriction to only use the unique gear companion's started with on them, so only Eder ever wore the Saint's War Armour, and only Kana ever wore his turban, but actually hard coding this into the game seems a bit over the top.

You're swimming in money even without selling gear of your companions, what other benefit would preventing player from changing their equipment serve than be annoying?

This. By the end of the game I had a fully upgraded stronghold, owned every unique item for sale that I wanted and I still had over 200,000cp spare. There's very little to be gained from selling your companions starting gear.

Now I made a self-imposed restriction to only use the unique gear companion's started with on them, so only Eder ever wore the Saint's War Armour, and only Kana ever wore his turban, but actually hard coding this into the game seems a bit over the top.

Nothing to be gained? There's all kinds of powerful equipment you can buy in the early game. What are you talking about?

Hard coding that over the top? Practically every other RPG has this.. I'm playing wl2 right now and guess what. I can't steal Angela s wrench. At release I thought wl2 was garbage but the directors cut is winning me over. Pillars needs work.

Nothing to be gained? There's all kinds of powerful equipment you can buy in the early game. What are you talking about?

You will gain powerful equipment in exchange for powerful equipment and gimping some of your companions - it seems like a fair trade to me. Generally speaking, I don't like limiting player without a good reason. When I don't want to sell companion items, I just don't sell companion items, it doesn't take any additional effort from my side to not do something. But in case someone wants to build the companions in a different way than they're intially envisioned, restrictions on equipment swapping would be extremely irritating - it's only the case for a single piece of equipment Devil of Caroc and you'll already see people complaining about that. Edited by Fenixp

@fenixp

Not really. In many cases you are just looting them and moving the stuff onto your made character/characters or selling it to trade up for really powerful items like the blunting belt or magical stiletto.

For any npc you don't even plan to use it is literally free ****.

Edited by Kilburn

"only usable by" ruins immersion

Unless of course we are talking about magical gear, or lets say that body armor made entirely of fire can only be used by Fire Godlike characters, etc. That makes sense. But stopping me from wearing someone elses t-shirt even when it's my size... that's just rude.

Pillars has very few hard limits on item use. I can't think of anything beyond a few class-restricted items, unless you count the Devil of Caroc's chest armour which is actually a part of her body. Pillars just doesn't do "only usable by."

Well that sucks. Because it could use it.

If it breaks your immersion then don't do it? It breaks my immersion for my character to steal from every container I find, so I don't steal from every container I find. It breaks my immersion for my character to murder the backer NPC in Gilded Vale to get plate early, so I don't kill the backer NPC in Gilded Vale. I even don't think it's in character for character to steal companion gear and sell it or use it on someone else so, guess what, I don't.

The only person who ever wore Eder's armour in my latest game was Eder, and I never sold it even after Eder started wearing better armour. I even kept Durance equipped with his staff throughout the game, even though he rarely ever used it in combat, because him not having it equipped broke my immersion.

But here's the thing, I don't feel the need to have these restrictions imposed on everyone else playing PoE. If someone doesn't care then why shouldn't they give Aloth's unique armour to their Barbarian to increase their carnage AoE? It doesn't mean you have to.

EDIT: you might as well complain that when you kill an Aumaua wearing a Breastplate Hiravias can immediately put it on. Surely you should have to visit a blacksmith, and weight several in game days, whilst it's resized.

EDIT 2: here's another. Every time one of my companions loses a significant amount of health (let's say over half) I should have to rest up for several months of in game time before they recover. It breaks my immersion that they heal fully with eight hours sleep.

Edited by JerekKruger
  • Like 2

If it breaks your immersion then don't do it? It breaks my immersion for my character to steal from every container I find, so I don't steal from every container I find. It breaks my immersion for my character to murder the backer NPC in Gilded Vale to get plate early, so I don't kill the backer NPC in Gilded Vale. I even don't think it's in character for character to steal companion gear and sell it or use it on someone else so, guess what, I don't.

The only person who ever wore Eder's armour in my latest game was Eder, and I never sold it even after Eder started wearing better armour. I even kept Durance equipped with his staff throughout the game, even though he rarely ever used it in combat, because him not having it equipped broke my immersion.

But here's the thing, I don't feel the need to have these restrictions imposed on everyone else playing PoE. If someone doesn't care then why shouldn't they give Aloth's unique armour to their Barbarian to increase their carnage AoE? It doesn't mean you have to.

I need to write myself a list of stuff I can't do to prevent the game from breaking basically. OK. I'll add it to don't use food, knockdown spells, etc.

I need to write myself a list of stuff I can't do to prevent the game from breaking basically. OK. I'll add it to don't use food, knockdown spells, etc.

If you need a list then I guess, though I never needed one to avoid selling Eder's armour or equipping it on another character, and not using food proved extremely easy to do without having a reminder written down anywhere.

How did the game break after you took another NPC's equipment? Was there an error message? The did credits start rolling? Details please lol

Credits rolled in my head once i hit act 2 and i quit and started looking for another game. Lol

• Like 1