Food is overpowered, nerf food

Completely agree; and I would also add that a testament to the "maturity" of an RPG resides within its ability to prevent builds revolving around all forms of bonus stacking from breaking/exploiting the games balance. PoE achieves that splendidly, and it does so while providing some of the most unique and complex build options - both individual and group - in an RPG.

Completely agree; and I would also add that a testament to the "maturity" of an RPG resides within its ability to prevent builds revolving around all forms of bonus stacking from breaking/exploiting the games balance. PoE achieves that splendidly, and it does so while providing some of the most unique and complex build options - both individual and group - in an RPG.

Yeah so many people like stacking and wish it was implemented better. I'm also not to sure if pillars achieves that splendidly.

I wouldn't say food is overpowered or anything. I just think the it's annoying to use, and awkwardly inserted into the gameplay, like it's just sorta left over from an earlier build and/or better idea I guess +2 Dex is kinda spiffy, as attack speed gets increasing returns, and we can already get that down to point where anything in melee range just melts due to stacking it. (Which tends to happen in any game that allows for 'Haste' effects, without a hard cap on it). But that's not really the foods fault, just the fact we have so many sources of haste that stack.

I also wouldn't say Pillars got the system right that we can't break the balance in two. The games got weak spots all over that snap it in half. What I would say is that the core gameplay is pretty strong, so if you try to avoid those rotting boards, it can actually be a pretty engaging combat system. Which is more than the vast majority of RPGs can say; most games combat, no matter what the player tries to do, ever be anything with any nuance or balance. Look at something like Dragon Age games, which theres no way to really have that gameplay be anything strategic. (Maybe the 2nd one, a bit, I suppose).

Edited by Teioh_White

Well food aren't a must have thing and as some has stated might be more trouble than it's worth. You can perfectly run PotD without touching one of them.

The thing is it provides some added options. For example if you ran a playthrough that is restrictive, food can give you some ways to even up the odds somehow if needed. In particular for battles with a difficulty spikes. It might seem counter intuitive but it is also about making fine adjustments to get to the sweet spot that you can find challenging without performing horribly. Also for playthroughs that are extremely restrictive like ToI with possibly other restrictions, you will naturally want to explore all other options to lower the risks. Even if food gave +1 only, I will still use them in some of my playthroughs since every favourable nudge in the dice rolls is risk I don't have to take and restart the entire playthrough.

Edited by mosspit