samm

Well if anything, Double Fine's pitch videos have been pretty good compared to most other crowd-sourced games.

Schafer knows how to appeal to the masses, I'll give him that.

I thought the thing with his games was that they don't appeal to the masses.

I meant his sales pitch videos, not his games.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Eating money confirmed to be more productive than giving it to the 3.3 million dollar man.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

xpDKzan.png

Hrm.

Well, so far FIG hasn't been a very successful enterprise. Their first project barely got funded by the skin of their teeth. The second project flopped miserably -only hit 20% of their funding.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

But why did they increase the days when it looks like the project is going to make it?

I'll guess either word of mouth isn't big enough to draw attention or people really *are* fedup with Schafer. Only thing I wonder is if the same will happen to the next Obsidian Kickstarter/fig.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Does it actually look like it's going to make it though? I don't think we've seen a goal this high in some time, or indeed ever, so it's hard to say whether the trickle amounts over the next 5 weeks before the final day rush will be enough.

Personally if it was the standard $15 KS tier I honestly would have no real issue backing it. But knowing absolutely nothing about Psychonauts, the price of entry is just not the level where I'd be happy to make a "donation" (something I do for a lot of KS games which I back with no real intention of playing the final product).

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

It's weird that they changed the amount of days the campaign is going to run mid-way, but I figured they realized it wasn't going to end on a good moment and delayed it a little bit. With Fig they have that kind of wiggle room. Also, Psychonauts 2 is exactly the kind of project Fig needs to establish itself as a Kickstarter competitor. So far they had a project from a largely unknown team and a really ineffective pitch from a team that wasn't really willing to run a good crowdfunding campaign.

I'm a bit torn on this. On the one hand, Psychonauts was probably my favorite game in all of the Humble Bundles I've purchased and even though I'm not a big fan of platformers, I'd love to see a sequel. On the other hand, this seems a bit ambitious for a crowdfunding campaign and the history of Double Fine is not exactly inspiring. Also, $39 is not that far off from the typical price of a non-AAA PC game and $57 is near the upper price tier of console games bar none. If it cost $25 like most Kickstarters, I'd probably go for it, but with this kind of price, I don't see much of a benefit relative to buying it after it is released and I've read the reviews. Decisions, decisions...

I just remembered... didn't Notch offered 2 million to Schafer for Psychonauts 2 and then Schafer said it requires at least 30 million?

/edit: http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/05/notch-no-longer-involved-in-psychonauts-2-funding/

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

So far they had a project from a largely unknown team and a really ineffective pitch from a team that wasn't really willing to run a good crowdfunding campaign.

Anchors in the Drift really was an awful campaign, there was nothing after the initial pitch - so little that even investors stayed away (well at least per the few messages left on fig). Combined with 5th Cell wanting donations to create a monetized pay2win RPG and, well, I'd say it was good that the campaign bombed the way it did.

Although I've got to hand it to them, it takes some balls to go crowdfunding for a p2w game, and the lifetime tier where you would never have to pay anything was at a measly 500$. ;)

I still hope the game comes out even without the funding, the ideas sure were interesting.

On the topic of Psychonauts 2, well, even with Schafer's terrible track record I pledged for the limited early brain bird tier. Sure it's a bunch more expensive than the usual Kickstarter basic tiers but eh, subtracting the retail cost of the original Psychonauts it's still just 20€, which is something I can live with losing in case Double Fine fails. Although I suspect that with involvement from investors he might just be a tad more careful. Time will tell, assuming the campaign manages to actually raise the 3.3m.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I've just realized I own Massive Chalice... wow, how did that happen? could it have been a gift from one of you, guys? I really want to play this game, and now it turns out I actually can  :wacko:

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

But knowing absolutely nothing about Psychonauts, the price of entry is just not the level where I'd be happy to make a "donation" 

Time to remedy that then :) http://www.gog.com/game/psychonauts

Oh, and to prevent getting stuck in a certain

meat

circus due to navigation problems, consider playing it with a gamepad even on PC.

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

I've been umming and ahing about backing this.  I didn't back Broken Chalice (as I didn't know about it until after it came out), but I did back Broken Age.  While Broken Age was, well, you know, I don't feel like I can fully blame them, if you look back on it you can kinda see that it was really sorta doomed: they came on KS to produce a 40k game, not a million dollar one, with the main focus being that the development would be filmed, they didn't even have a genre chosen.  Suddenly they were supposed to make a full-on game, with backers who had backed the game without any unifying theme uniting them like "likes Shadowrun the tabletop game" or even "likes sci-fi".  If they had chosen a sci-fi theme then those who hated sci-fi would get upset, if they chose a mature theme then those who wanted a light-hearted LucasArts adventure would get upset.  Broken Age does appear to be somewhat of them trying to hedge their bets: it covers both sci-fi and fantasy, if you want a male protagonist you have the boy and if you want a female protagonist you got the girl, it's inoffensive, etc. 

They were in a catch-22 situation, though I do wonder if another developer would have dealt as badly with it as they did.  I'm not sure, kickstarting a game is a gamble, a betting game, but I am a bit cautious about this 'Silent Partner' they got.  For all we know it's EA that has bought out Double Fine and is using it as a sock puppet to get people to pay for it's games.  It's apparently not Notch, as he has said on Twitter that it's not him.  What if it's the Milkman?  His milk is delicious.

• Like 1

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

I just noticed you now have to pay $39 to get the game. I'll guess this also helps with people not backing the game. It's a lot easier to spend some $15 on a project that might or might not be good than $39. The $10 pledge is kinda laughable, imo, unless you can't get the first game cheaper anywhere else and really need your name in the credits of the second game which nobody will ever really read and care about.

• 2 weeks later...

People should NOT give money to any of Tim Schafer's crowdfunding projects.  He has proven himself to be untrustworthy with other people's money when he knew  he did not have to be held accountable for it:

As "creative" as Schafer is, there are some "artists" who lack the skill to properly manage - and respect - other people's money.  Those "creative types" or artists needs to be kept on a tight leash by either a corporation and management,  and Tim Schafer seems to be of those creative types/artists.

When his customers/fans were fooled once, shame on him.

When his customers/fans were repeatedly fooled, then... well, the people who gave him their money are the morons.

Edited by ktchong

I own Spacebase.  It's a playable game.  It's not great, but it is hardly worth all the controversy it generated.  You get what you pay for, I am pleasantly surprised when $20 gets me a deep game, but I do not expect that to happen every time.

That being said, I still am not crowdfunding doublefine, but that has little to do with Spacebase.

• 2 weeks later...

So how long until the kickstarter to finish the second half of the game?

• Like 4

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands