samm

Well, isn't there a topic about that yet? Maybe it's my own or the forum's forum searching skills that let me down here, but anyway:

Psychonauts 2 is on the way :D I am so looking forward to seeing this come to life! Even if it's on a Doublefine schedule for 2018, meaning it will appear around christmas 2020, hehe, but I don't care because one day, I'll play it and enjoy its quirky goodness.

Oh, crowdfunding here: https://www.fig.co/campaigns/psychonauts-2

Meaning: Feargus is into it as well.

• Like 1

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

I must have missed something... I just found out that Tim Schafer is one of the most hated people in the gaming industry.  Seems like a lot of people are saying they ain't giving a dime to that douchebag. 

Edited by ktchong

I must have missed something... I just found out that Tim Schafer is one of the most hated people in the gaming industry.  Seems like a lot of people are saying they ain't giving a dime to that douchebag. 

I don't think he's hated. People just don't trust him with money.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Fantastic! I can't wait for half a game and a fundraiser to finish the rest of it!

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

It's interesting how views on him have changed since the Broken Age ks started. Though I am not 100% sure if it's solely because he can't really work with money or because he openly supported this anti-gg stuff.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

The only real thing that puts Double Fine offside with me is Spacebase and how early it was abandoned. Broken Age was late and Massive Chalice had no great depth, but neither I feel could be characterised as a scam or any other word the more vociferous critics may use.

• Like 2

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

It's interesting how views on him have changed since the Broken Age ks started. Though I am not 100% sure if it's solely because he can't really work with money or because he openly supported this anti-gg stuff.

A little from column A and a little from column B?  For me, personally, it's probably 90% column A.  Yeah, I wasn't thrilled about Schafer's "jokes" and comments during the whole GG thing, but he's still a legitimately talented and creative video game designer, or, at least, he was.  I mean, Schafer has been involved in some of my favorite games ever, games that have brought me much joy.  For me, the money/project management is a much bigger concern.  I just don't think he can manage money/resources/time, and not in a malicious trying to scam people take the money and run way, but rather in a he's a poor manager of resources and he can't make the hard and unpleasant but necessary sacrifices way.  It's kind of funny, but with a lot of developers many gamers, myself included, imagine a beautiful utopia where they are freed from the shackles of their publisher and allowed to make all the calls on their own.  With Schafer, I imagine a beautiful utopia where he's back under the thumb of a publisher with someone to keep him on track and to make the hard decisions for him.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Broken Age was delivered and got good reviews, right?  So what did he do with Broken Age that made people say they would not trust him with their money?

With Broken Age, they have delivered a game people didn't quite expect, but was pretty good nonetheless, so by itself that would not undermine my trust in Double Fine. With Massive Chalice, they delivered a pretty decent game and what was promised, so by itself that would not undermine my trust in Double Fine. With Spacebase DF9 however, they released a game into Early Access where they charged money for the product and then released it in completely unfinished state, abandoned development and did not allow for any refunds and that would sort of undermine my trust in Double Fine unless everything else they did in the past was excellent. Which, as far as I'm concerned, it wasn't. So I wouldn't trust them with my money. I 100% agree with what Keyrock said: I'm cheering for Double Fine and want Psychonauts 2 to be amazing, but I would never trust them with my money.

Broken Age Act 1 had an interesting story but really easy puzzles.  Act 2 had somewhat harder, though uninspired, puzzles and the story completely fell apart.  Basically, story wise, Act 1 was "cool, I can't wait to see where this goes next!" and Act 2 was "This is where it went? *sigh*".

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Broken Age was delivered and got good reviews, right?  So what did he do with Broken Age that made people say they would not trust him with their money?

Took too long to make and sucked a bit too much, basically.

*edit*

full-throttle-remastered-coming-to-ps4-a

Looks like he's getting more of my money either way  :dancing:

Edited by WDeranged

With Broken Age, they have delivered a game people didn't quite expect, but was pretty good nonetheless, so by itself that would not undermine my trust in Double Fine. With Massive Chalice, they delivered a pretty decent game and what was promised, so by itself that would not undermine my trust in Double Fine. With Spacebase DF9 however, they released a game into Early Access where they charged money for the product and then released it in completely unfinished state, abandoned development and did not allow for any refunds and that would sort of undermine my trust in Double Fine unless everything else they did in the past was excellent. Which, as far as I'm concerned, it wasn't. So I wouldn't trust them with my money. I 100% agree with what Keyrock said: I'm cheering for Double Fine and want Psychonauts 2 to be amazing, but I would never trust them with my money.

Yup, this is my sentiment. I had no issue with Broken Age (I didn't expect the same wonder and amazement I got with Schaefer's previous titles) (haven't played Massive Chalice), but Spacebase made me wary of anything Double Fine has their hands on. Funny enough, I thought it was the best and most interesting thing they had going, and to abandon it really made me wonder what they were thinking. The way they did it irked me. It was a total abuse of Early Access IMHO, and what is a Kickstarter but a really, really, really early access. Pay now, and wait to play.

Sorry, if you fumble enough I won't fund you. Hairbrained schemes just got my money for Battletech, and that is because they delivered with Shadowrun. InXile got my money because they delivered (WL 2 at launch was ok at best, but the DC is pretty great. I didn't really have time to play it until the DC was out). If Obsidian hits crowdfunding again? I'll get their back. Double Fine? Double Take. Ironically, the Spacebase ordeal made me feel like I was Double Fined. <terrible pun, but worth it.

I wish the best for Psychonauts 2, but I will only buy if it releases and has solid reviews. I don't like Schaefer's politics, but I don't like Ted Nugent's politics at the best of times and I still like to jam to some Stranglehold. I would support him if He didn't have a history of rocky delivery or backing out of Early Access.

Well if anything, Double Fine's pitch videos have been pretty good compared to most other crowd-sourced games.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Well if anything, Double Fine's pitch videos have been pretty good compared to most other crowd-sourced games.

Schafer knows how to appeal to the masses, I'll give him that.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Schafer knows how to appeal to the masses, I'll give him that.

I thought the thing with his games was that they don't appeal to the masses.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

The videos may be nice, but not nice enough to justify supporting a half-made game with easy gameplay and bad writing.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Did they not also get way more money than asked and that lasted them for Broken Age part 1 only and there was a risk they may not even be able to finance part 2?

Which brought in all sorts of questions like how come with even way more money they barely managed. Or how much did it cost to hire well known Hollywood actors and was that really necessary.